How many miles do you get before you have trouble passing emissions?

The other poster Jaker inspired my question here. I've always owned diesels, so an emissions test is a non issue.o remember my parents had an old Mercedes 300e and that thing always had issues. Didn't have many miles either, but it was like 15 years old. I think it had 115,000 miles. Anyways, they said it barely based an emissions test, so my dad sold it before having to dump a bunch of money into it. My dad thinks maybe the previous owners rolled the odometer back on that car and it probably had more miles than what it showed. Anyways, with that bring said, how many miles can you expect to start having emissions testing issues?

How many miles do you get before you have trouble passing emissions?​

About thirty miles after I stop at T-Bell and have one of these. It can interfere with the thermal exhaust port.

1709487578484.jpg

Taco Bell Dinner then dessert

Hit or miss in my case. I can't detect a pattern. 10+ years and 200k, if it's not a problematic setup? but very small sample in my case. Buy new, drive lots of miles, trade before it's too old (200k is a good time to get rid of things IMO).

Hit or miss in my case. I can't detect a pattern. 10+ years and 200k, if it's not a problematic setup? but very small sample in my case. Buy new, drive lots of miles, trade before it's too old (200k is a good time to get rid of things IMO).
Yeah I always keep things too long until something major breaks and then it's not worth anything

Yeah I always keep things too long until something major breaks and then it's not worth anything
I sorta have done that. Last car to leave was worth more to me, the few prior not so much I guess. It can get expensive going from 200k to 300k, although that can be cheaper than buying new. [Used to be, you could buy something with 150k on the clock and do another 100k, now that seems dubious. We can hope for the old days to come back I guess.]

I sorta have done that. Last car to leave was worth more to me, the few prior not so much I guess. It can get expensive going from 200k to 300k, although that can be cheaper than buying new. [Used to be, you could buy something with 150k on the clock and do another 100k, now that seems dubious. We can hope for the old days to come back I guess.]
Too many electronics now to keep a car much past 150k imo

What's an emissions test ? 🤣

In all seriousness, we did have them in Ohio many years ago. I had an '88 Honda Prelude Si and I had to have it tested a few times (Ohio req'd testing every 2 years) and the test was basically (2) stages. My understanding is a vehicle might not pass stage 1 but could pass stage 2 and get approved. My Prelude with 150k+ miles always passed stage 1 and didn't have to continue to stage 2.

What's an emissions test ? 🤣

In all seriousness, we did have them in Ohio many years ago. I had an '88 Honda Prelude Si and I had to have it tested a few times (Ohio req'd testing every 2 years) and the test was basically (2) stages. My understanding is a vehicle might not pass stage 1 but could pass stage 2 and get approved. My Prelude with 150k+ miles always passed stage 1 and didn't have to continue to stage 2.
In crook county ill. You pull in get out sit in a enclosed area and they plug in to the obd2 port pass or fail

The EPA and CARB requires emissions testing to be completed at an equivalent of 150k miles on new vehicles now. The OBD regulations require the low cat efficiency code to turn on at 1.5 times the FTP75 emission test cycle limit. So theoretically, trouble could start at 225k miles. But its gonna very based on driving style, oil consumption, and fuel quality.

The other poster Jaker inspired my question here. I've always owned diesels, so an emissions test is a non issue.o remember my parents had an old Mercedes 300e and that thing always had issues. Didn't have many miles either, but it was like 15 years old. I think it had 115,000 miles. Anyways, they said it barely based an emissions test, so my dad sold it before having to dump a bunch of money into it. My dad thinks maybe the previous owners rolled the odometer back on that car and it probably had more miles than what it showed. Anyways, with that bring said, how many miles can you expect to start having emissions testing issues?
There are many components that will affect emissions and not all deteriorate based on miles. Vacuum hoses, seals, and gaskets crack and leak with age. Sensor wires can get damaged or break. Vacuum leaks and wonky O2 sensors have been the emissions-related problems I have encountered the most.

There are many components that will affect emissions and not all deteriorate based on miles. Vacuum hoses, seals, and gaskets crack and leak with age. Sensor wires can get damaged or break. Vacuum leaks and wonky O2 sensors have been the emissions-related problems I have encountered the most.
Chinazon air filter could release fibers, or allow a bit more debris, make your MAF less efficient until cleaned. Then you get P0171/P0173

Failing an emissions test is simply having the MIL lit up during your yearly state inspection in the PR of NY. Could be just a few year old, low mileage vehicle.

Failing an emissions test is simply having the MIL lit up during your yearly state inspection in the PR of NY. Could be just a few year old, low mileage vehicle.
Or just not being on when it should. My F150 has a blinking sequence when all the monitors are ready. I wonder if all new cars have it.

Reactions: JTK
My '78 Fairmont was still passing the IM240 in 1998 with about 125k miles on it.

But, with modern cars, it seems the MIL/CEL starts going off around 175k to 200k miles. I've moved since the '78 Fairmont, so no testing in my corner of the world. But 10 miles away in the same county, they still test.

Most of my modern cars had cat efficiency codes. A MIL eliminator turned the light off for the 275k mile Camry and the 150k mile Corolla. They probably wouldn't pass a visual check, but since we had no checks at all, no worries for me anyway.

Chinazon air filter could release fibers, or allow a bit more debris, make your MAF less efficient until cleaned. Then you get P0171/P0173
That's really funny.
And I could be run over when crossing the street. I mean technically it could happen.....

Back