How many miles do you go with Amsoil until ur OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about the XL brand but the normal full synthetic line.

3000? 5000? 75000? >10,000?

01.gif

Personally i use dino in all my cars and trucks except my moms grand marquis i use ultra 5w20
all the engines we build and there are many of them we use conoco we get in the drums..
also i have an old oldsmobile 83 custom cruiser we use for the shop and it has turned to 401,000 miles in july all on dino 3500 mile oil changes.
the engine is original except for an intake manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets still runs pretty good leaks a little but runs good..But the answer to your question is whatever you feel comfortable with i know someone who uses amsoil and changes it every 10,000 miles with no problems.These days a good dino every 5000 is more than enough in most cases.

12,652 is what we just had on the last oil change. I change it once every year in OCT just before it gets really cold, whether it needs it or not. We normally put 10,000 - 15,000 on in a year so it is NO problem at all for Amsoil. I use the 0W30 signature series.

Originally Posted By: eoghan
12,652 is what we just had on the last oil change. I change it once every year in OCT just before it gets really cold, whether it needs it or not. We normally put 10,000 - 15,000 on in a year so it is NO problem at all for Amsoil. I use the 0W30 signature series.

Good for you fellow Nebraskastainian! Run it! I need to follow your example now that the Focus is out of warranty!

Next oil change I'm calling Pablito...

I use the ASL 5W30 and change the oil and filter every October. I normally drive 10K or less a year. Been doing this since about 2002.

Originally Posted By: casperfun
I'm not talking about the XL brand but the normal full synthetic line.

3000? 5000? 75000? >10,000?

01.gif

Don't go 75000mi. lol

You can change yearly on that stuff easy. Just spring for a UOA first time to make sure you don't have any coolant leaks etc. midway through the interval.

The last 6yrs have gone 1yr OCI with ASL 5W-30 in both the wifes Navi and sons Axiom. From Jan to Jan both average around 7K to 12K miles. With the new release of the XL line, I will go with it for the once a yr OCI. Thinking of going with the 5W-20 in both, even though the Axiom calls for 5W-30.

Both used Amsoil filters.

I use the SSO and end up changing around 10,000 give or take...for the main reason this end up coinciding with once a year. I'll usually go the full year regardless of mileage...unless I get bored and hit 10k first...which has happened...more often than not;-) Longest I've done was in my IS300. Did 15K even on onc OCI, but that was an off year that involved driving cross country.

I'm not going to do it in this truck (one of the myth's I'm personally stuck on is not swapping around oils), but I'm looking into a new truck soon. If I do, I'm considering going with the new XL. Since I only do 10K a year anyways, I think it'll fit the bill and do just as good a job while saving some cash...and I like the bottle better:p

I just started using Amsoil SSO and plan to do 10k OCIs in my 07 Civic EX unless a UOA suggests that the oil is in excellent shape after 10k, in that case, i'll extend it a bit further but for the most part, i'm happy with 10k OCI

I ran/run ASL 5-30 in my 07' Xterra for yearly OCI's. Do about 10,000 miles or less per yr. I have a post of it on the UOA and it was about spent at 11 months and 8,500 miles. I still have a couple of gallons of it so I continue to use it. Would I buy ASL 5-30 again for that vehicle? No. I'd get something less expensive that would work just as good. I'll probly trade it before I run out of ASL though.

Started at 5k and worked up to 12k with UOAs. But developed a tick with the higher mileage, so now back down to 5-6k and tick has gone away.

Can you explain the tick you're referring too? Did it develop as the miles on the oil racked on? Did it go away after an OC?

I read his post, Steve. It still doesn't explain squat to me.

Example: Fresh oil in... 10k later a tick starts developing... by 12k its pretty bad so the oil is changed.

Fresh oil again, no more tick... by 10k the tick is back.

^This tells me that after 12k the oil isn't performing as it should, hence the increased engine noise.

So keeping the OCIs around 5-6k keeps the oil in good conditions which = no tick!!

My Buick I go around 9000 or a year, my Mitsubishi a year or 15 months but that is only about 5000 miles.
When my kids were in college I went a year for each of them and it varied between 10,000 and 15,000 miles using the Amsoil 0W30.

Determining Your interval we would need your engine information and driving habits. Also make sure to use a decent oil filter for the longer hauls. The bosch distance seems popular or youcould just grab the amsoil filter. Amsoil signature should be good for 10k in most newer cars unless its a vq

That would vary by vehicle. I use a formula. For TSL (5W30) I use 120 as a constant.

MPG x Oil Capacity (Including Add Oil) x 120
The following assumes no add oil.

1-Ton Pickup that holds 6-Qt and averages 10.0 mpg.
10.0 x 6.0 x 120 = 7200 miles

Compact that holds 4 Qt and averages 30 mpg.
30.0 x 4.0 x 120 = 14400 miles

1/2 Ton Pickup that holds 6 Qt and averages 19.0 mpg (Mine does).
19.0 x 6.0 x 120 = 13680 miles

Family Sedan that hold 5-Qt and averages 20.0 mpg.
20.0 x 5.0 x 120 = 12000 miles

If your more conservative reduce the constant to 90 or 100.

Last edited:
I haven't used Amsoil since I had my Eurovan, when I was basically driving for living. I was doing about 25-30K on 0W30 SSO, no filter change and about 3 qts. top up oil during the run. Most of that was hwy miles, though some traffic/idling.

The van gave up around 250k, but the engine had nothing to do with it. Unless, of course, Amsoil were better at fixing electrical problems.

I also used it in a '93 Nissan SE-R, 20K OCI's. That car had a really small sump, so I wanted to use the highest quality synthetic I could find at the time. It served the car well. It was well over 200K when the person to whom I sold it ran it into an electrical pole.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: eoghan

Good for you fellow Nebraskastainian! Run it! I need to follow your example now that the Focus is out of warranty!

Next oil change I'm calling Pablito...

Why wait till it's out of warranty? Most engine failure isn't from oil used but from lack of oil or another abuse/neglect problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back