how low on oil can a standard car get before there is a mechanical problem

Again, I'm very sure that when theres no oil on the dipstick, the engine still has a reserve amount of oil to protect it. I've seen too many cars that don't register on the stick, and have still run fine after 5000 miles at that level. Engineers take stupid into consideration with design factors.
You've seen many cars that run for 5000 miles after the oil doesn't register on the dipstick?

How low can I let the oil get before there is a mechanical problem? I am not talking crazy low like you see on youtube where guys try to run on 1/2 a quart. I am talking 1 or so qt low, normal dips you might see between changes. On a 4QT sump my camry calls to add oil when it gets a qt low but would 1/2qt or so lower hurt? I am guessing the thing to avoid is the pump running dry when the oil is being pumped through the system. Maybe the problem would be not enough oil to distribute contaminants. When I drain the oil showning 3 quarts it looks like a lot and the car would be just fine a little lower but what do I know, answer, not much. In my case it gets to about 1 qt low at the end of the change interval and I am always wondering if I should add 1 quart with 500 mi to go or would it even make any difference to the engine.

add half a quart or so when you're halway through the oci?

When you run low, at the very least you need to cut the OCI as there's less of everything and ultimatey the oil runs hotter as it passes through the engine more often.

When very cold, you run the risk that oil doesn't drain back to the sump quick enough.

Again, I'm very sure that when theres no oil on the dipstick, the engine still has a reserve amount of oil to protect it. I've seen too many cars that don't register on the stick, and have still run fine after 5000 miles at that level. Engineers take stupid into consideration with design factors.

The engine might not fail but consider the VVT systems and other intricate parts as well as the formation of sludge and varnish buildup as you drive with less oil. In this regard the three quarts of oil in the sump is doing what normally five quarts would be doing. It won’t take much time to see the effects of that.

Haven't read all of the responses. I frequent a few Kia Soul Facebook groups and have complained here about (mostly) young women who name their cars and yet don't know what a dipstick is. Yes, I'm an old grump, but I remember when driver's ed included changing tires and pulling dipsticks. People complain about HyunKia GDI engines all the time, then ask "what is the teapot light for?" My take is that in my car the first quart burns off in about 2500 miles, but the next quart under the add mark will blow out in 250 miles--not that I've tried it. Kia has extended part pf my power train warranty to 150K from 60K (bought used), I hope they don't fork over new engines to those who run them dry. Personally I check my dipstick every couple of days.

My son, God love him, drives our KIA Rio. Has a 3-1/2 quart sump. It does burn oil, so he is told he needs to check it often. I even have a quart of oil in the trunk. So, last week I was outside and checked it. Didn't even register on the dipstick. At all. Way below the low mark. Added a quart and a half to get it to the Full mark, and even then it was just shy of Full mark. I showed him and told him if the engine blows, he better get a pair of Nike Turbos, because that's all he will have. Kids.......

It's due for an oil change soon anyway, but I can't get it changed out until January. Needs a few other things also.

Down less than 20% of capacity would be my guess. any lower than that and your oil may miss the sump on high angles.

My 2012 Audi A6 did not have a dip stick but it did have a built in oil level sensor and display. It showed the level on a bar graph, it was not just a float switch. At first, I really hated that it did not have an oil dip stick but then I realized that the engine management system continuously monitored the oil level and would alert me if there was an issue. Maybe it would have even shutoff the engine or prevent starting it if it got real low. I never drove more than 3500 miles between yearly oil changes done by the dealer and never had to add any oil but I always carried two quarts of euro oil specified for the car in the trunk. Boy Scout training!

Its replacement is a Ford with the 3.5L non turbo and it has a dip stick, I kinda wish it also had the continuous oil level sensor. That is good preventative technology.

I would hope the engine management would NEVER shut off an engine by itself. Low reading will come at the worst of times... making an intersection turn, crossing a railroad etc...

It depends on the car.

I know of someone who never checked the oil on his Camry. It caught up to him just after I did a timing belt change(and I changed the oil pump O-ring and seal). I asked if he ever checked his oil and he said no.

Engines are far more resilient then folks give them credit for. I’ve heard an engine ticking and clacking with nothing showing on the dipstick. Fill it back up and it’s fine. Goes on for many more miles seemingly unaffected.

Family member ran his car on less than a qt with the check eng light on for weeks before it finally went... and it never fully went.

I don’t baby vehicles and regularly get 200K out of engines no problem. I get rid of them for reasons other than the engine.

This is ancient history but will make you wonder. Back in the old days my wife had a 1975 Chevy Vega, she bought it new. Don't laugh it was voted "Car of the year" by some magazine. Anyway, she come down to my house for a visit, and said her oil light was flickering. I popped the hood and yanked the dipstick, nothing showing. I added 1 qt, 2qts starting to show, it took 3 qts of oil to make it to the full level. It only held 4 qts total. That car ate oil, didn't smoke or leak any oil that I could see. She drove that thing for another 10 years with no long lasting effects from being run low. I guess it all depends on what brand of engine your vehicle has in it.,,,

My son, God love him, drives our KIA Rio. Has a 3-1/2 quart sump. It does burn oil, so he is told he needs to check it often. I even have a quart of oil in the trunk. So, last week I was outside and checked it. Didn't even register on the dipstick. At all. Way below the low mark. Added a quart and a half to get it to the Full mark, and even then it was just shy of Full mark. I showed him and told him if the engine blows, he better get a pair of Nike Turbos, because that's all he will have. Kids.......

It's due for an oil change soon anyway, but I can't get it changed out until January. Needs a few other things also.
Going through that much oil on that small of a sump I don’t think I’d even change it. You’re almost half new oil at this point. I’d just keep topping it off and changing filters. That’s me though.

How is it that you've seen "too many cars" with oil not registering on the dipstick? Apart from my own cars, my wife's car, and sweetie's Prius, I've not seen any other vehicle's sticks. Are you in the business somehow? Can you approximate how many cars you've seen running with such low oil levels? I'm wondering if there are more cars out there than I imagine driving with such low oil levels.

I think this is a great question. It seems like a dumb risk until you state the "500 miles" till OCI bit. I'd hate to waste oil on that short a time. But I'd also hate to waste an engine over $2.50 worth of oil.

I think I'd do two things:
Extend the OCI 1,500 or so past the time I add oil, assuming you're not already overdoing it.
Try a thicker or different brand oil to give me that extra 500 miles.

i once drove juniors bmw 523i (M52B25 engine) to the dealer for some reason, i believe to get some trim part. they said the engine sounded weird. then they filled in 6 liters of oil. i was pissed, because it was expensive. no idea how long the engine has been driven like that, but probably for quite a while. it never showed any abnormal symptoms thereafter. got sold about 2 years later.

There is no such thing as “standard” engine. Engines have different demands, different reasons for small sump or large sump. 1qt low on 4cyl or V6 might not be big deal. 1qt low on inline 6 in BMW means possibility of drop in pressure during hard left turns if one is pushing car. Regardless that sump is big, long engine has its drawbacks.
I generally always keep my vehicles at max. Especially Toyota or FIL’s Pilot I pay attention to (that one has really small sump). In BMW I actually overfill a but when tracking car.

Back