How long have mobil 1 filters been around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing thinking, and wondering, how long mobil 1 filters have been around? When i was younger, 17, my local mobil gas station, i think, used them. Have they ben around since thier was a mobil gas business?

I just recently started using them. I used to always use the Nissan OEM filters. Wonder if it actually makes a difference? Probably not,as long as you use a good quality filter. I even used the classic "orange" Fram filters for years and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I was doing thinking, and wondering, how long mobil 1 filters have been around? When i was younger, 17, my local mobil gas station, i think, used them. Have they ben around since thier was a mobil gas business?

Mobil full service gas stations have always had Mobil filters, but I think the Mobil 1 filter has only been out for about 15 years, if that.

Mobil has/had their own line of everything for their branded stations/retailers. Saxony tires ..etc..etc.

Exxon had Atlas as their store brand.

etc..etc.

..From the golden age of service stations...
frown.gif

I see see. I was doing some thinking, when i was 17 to 19, our mechanic, owned a mobil gas station. My father used too take our cars to him, for oil changes. I know he he used either mobil or NAPA oil (he frequented local NAPA for parts) old school guy, so was trying too remember what kinda oil fitlers he used. Since it was a mobil gas station, maybe he was using those, or fram or NAPA.

It depended on the franchise. Lots of true "Mom and Pop" gas stations took advantage of the oil company's programs to upgrade the station. It was a cooperative where the owner signed up for a, perhaps, 10 year contract to sell ONLY the oil company's products and accessories during that term. They would replace tanks, install new pumps, upgrade the exterior (signs, lights, logos, paint/refurbish the exterior) and even install new restrooms.

It amortized the capital outlay for operations that otherwise would not/could not afford to do so.

It's been mostly abandoned due to evolutions in the market in everything from environmental issues to ROI on part branding and inventory costs.

Ziggy,

The original Mobil 1 oil filters were white in color, then gray and now they are black.

They have been around for more than 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember buying Mobil 1 oil filters for my 98 Formula when I first bought it new, and around that time they had just been released. So I'm thinking they came out possibly in late 1997, but I don't think much earlier than that.

Man, I first remember Mobil 1 filters around the summer of 1998. Used one (overspent) on my '98 Grand Cherokee.

At least since 1995, changing oil on my 1990 Mustang GT and remember looking into Mobil 1 oil filters. I decided to stick with Fram or Napa back than. Now I only stick exclusively to Puralator or OEM

> The original Mobil 1 oil filters were white in color,
> then gray and now they are black.

Yes, and they also used to be smooth without the flutes. I recall buying M1 oil at a Mobil gas station in the late '70s but I think the first place I bought filters was at K-Mart.

so, about when did they turn grey? late 90s'? mid 90''s? I belive the black ones showed up, about 2 or 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back