How long does it take you to hand-wash a pickup truck?

I use a pole brush on the old Tundra exterior and brush out the floor. Wipe down the interior as needed.
So basically far less detailed than your process. Your standards are pretty high and your truck is new and perfect. Wait 10 years or so... Ha!
Of course I cannot currently hose warsh a vehicle now due to the drought.

If you want your level of detail, I have to believe you are already pretty efficient.

As others have said, you are going about as fast as possible for the level of detail. The only way to cut time is to combine steps like drying and sealing. I have a crew cab long bed and it takes every bit of 2 hrs to do an inferior job to yours.

I hand wash and apply a spray wax/polish product in about 30 min on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic. I use a cleaned car wash brush on a telescoping pole and a new clean rag for the wash. At the conclusion of the wash, I'll wipe down the door sills, jambs and under the doors and sometimes give the engine bay a wipe and splash with the left over wash bucket.

Then another clean rag or microfiber for the Turtle wax seal-n-shine or similar.

It's clean and shiny enough for me at that point, but definitely not an @The Critic quality job!

Super crew F150 takes me around 2 hours so your 1.5 tells me you are younger and move faster. I like the look of chrome on my truck (not too much) but it is a pain to shine up and keep water spots from forming. Next time I get wheels I will get something closer to black. And a white truck, I love the bluejeans color on the Ford but it's as hard to keep clean as black.
You think your blue is dark! Mine is called Dark Blue Pearl Metallic. It's "ALMOST" worse than black.
TRUCK3.jpg

Wash and wax is about 2 hours. Its a crewcab with 8 foot bed and a cap so ladders are involved.

I can't get anything done in 1.5 hours, you're doing pretty good. Then again I'm dealing with much older vehicles. I spent like 4 hours using my Bissell steam thing on the white Explorer last weekend.

Takes me maybe a half hour usually. I recently discovered foam cannons so I usually just walk around with the pressure washer knocking off as much as I can then I’ll cover it in foam. Let it set for about 3-5 minutes and rinse it away. Spray it with some kind of wax-as-you-dry and then just dry it off. Of course, it takes a little longer if I clean the whole thing like cleaning the floor mats, wiping down the interior, vacuuming it, wiping the leather down and cleaning the windows.

On my 83 I'll spend about 2 hrs washing and drying, really enjoy just taking my time, have music coming out of the garage, no hurry. :cool:

Would say ONR with big red sponge or grout sponge then dry with the optimum car wax when protection is needed that should at least cut down the exterior time. It’s pretty quick to Do a waterless wash single bucket with grit guard since the ONR actually makes the dirt drop to the bottom

45m to wash. probably twice that to wax. tires and glass treatment another 30-45. so it might get it 2x per year.

wife’s crv, my sedan, probably get it more often. They literally take half the time.

I did another exterior wash today and was able to get my time down to 62 minutes with the following changes:

- Skipped floor mats
- Skipped tire dressing
- Washed "each side" of the truck at a time. This meant washing half of the roof, both doors, bedside, hood, etc. before moving to the other side. This probably saved at least 5 minutes.
- Used the spray sealant towel to "clean" the exterior windows

I monitored my time a bit more closely today and noticed that the wash and dry took 46 minutes. Applying spray sealant onto the paint and wheels and wiping the door jambs took 16 minutes.

04F076BB-15FA-4EC1-A6DC-E49A515F7D9E.jpeg

It currently takes me 1.5 hours to hand-wash the exterior of my pickup truck.
[...]
I would like to cut down the time to one hour or less, so I am interested in hearing your process or any tips for making the process more efficient.
Nice looking truck. I've not had a pickup in a number of years, so I'm not one to give advice or suggestions. Some of what has already been suggested seems reasonable. I am, however, curious as to how often you wash the Ram. Do you do it on a regular basis or just when it seems to "need" a wash?

There's a YouTube channel called The Detail Geek. Maybe you can cruise through some of his videos and get some ideas.

Nice looking truck. I've not had a pickup in a number of years, so I'm not one to give advice or suggestions. Some of what has already been suggested seems reasonable. I am, however, curious as to how often you wash the Ram. Do you do it on a regular basis or just when it seems to "need" a wash?
Thank you. It is washed 2-3x/month since it is parked outside. This is the necessary frequency due to the bugs and bird bombs that it sees.

Thank you. It is washed 2-3x/month since it is parked outside. This is the necessary frequency due to the bugs and bird bombs that it sees.
Have you given any thought to a cover? Do you use the Ram infrequently so that it wouldn't be too tiresome to remove/apply the cover?

I had a '64 Cadillac convertible which stayed in the garage, but every now and then it would need to be outside for a few days. I had a good quality cover for it, but it was a PITA to dress and undress the car ... I wouldn't want to do that every day.

Back