Washing: how much to scrub?

So I haven't wiped down the new Camry in a couple of weeks--shame on me, I know. I started wiping it down with a rinseless only to realize that there was a fair amount of sand over the car, so out it went to get hosed off. Used a microfiber mitt with Mother's soap, got a good wipe on everything--but I did not press hard. Got in the garage, didn't towel dry so I had to go over with vinegar so as to get rid of the water spots, again with a microfiber (several actually). Then I started wiping down with a rinseless wash. At some point I realized there was actually a fair amount of crud on the paint that was stuck on, mostly on the hood. After creating a few new scratches I gave in and got out a claybar to knock that down, then I could try to get clean.

This is not going well...

Should I be scrubbing more with suds? I feel like this clearcoat is easy to scratch yet this car attracts sand and bugs. I'd like to at least attempt to keep it cleaner for longer, but so far I feel like it's not working.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing.
Are you doing conventional washing?...soap & water/bucket & hose?
Are you only using a "rinseless" type of car wash?
The stuff that you spray on/wipe off right over the dirt?...
that claims, not to scratch because it lubricates?

I don't agree with your methods of using vinegar to get water spots off. You got something other than just ordinary dirt if you can't get the dirt off using conventional wash methods.

Reactions: JC1
First you have to decomtaminate the paint: wash, dry, clay bar. Wash again and dry.
Then you polish the paint: restore the oils
Then you seal the paint: paint sealant

Then you NEVER touch with abrasive or SCRUB the paint like you said you did.

I’m not sure what was on there, but after washing it there was clearly had stuff stuck on, could not see but could easily feel. Microfiber would not remove. Clay bar did.

I'm not sure exactly what you're doing.
Are you doing conventional washing?...soap & water/bucket & hose?
Are you only using a "rinseless" type of car wash?
The stuff that you spray on/wipe off right over the dirt?...
that claims, not to scratch because it lubricates?
I started with rinseless then realized, as I headed around the car, that the front had more sand on the car than I wanted deal with—at the very least I wanted to hose off. But once outside, figured, might as well break out soap and a mitt. So I went over the whole car with a microfiber and soap, then had to redo because of water spots—and still had stuff stuck on, after having two or three passes with microfiber.

car is 3 months old and garaged. Do I need to clay bar every three months? Going to be hard to do much come winter!

The pros around here will be able to help more than I can, but several things in your description piqued my interest.

First, what kind of soap did you use (with water and microfiber)? If you used car soap, what brand?

Also, do you have community water or well water? If well water, you may never be able to remove spots.

Last, do you park under a tree or near a source of contaminants (during the day or when not garaged)? This may explain the odd residue that is hard to remove. You should not need to clay bar every 3 mo!

I have a bottle of Mother’s gold.

Well water. Don’t remember what the water test said, didn’t say it was hard, we don’t use any sort of filter nor softener. Most of the roads have now lost the sand buildup, but wife still drives on dirt occasionally, so it is going to pick up dirt and sand. Never mind what comes this winter.

We do garage the car.

Personally I would try to wash one panel at a time. Rinse first with a generous amount of water and then clean it by hand with a wash mitt or microfiber. Do you have buckets with grit guards? Keep doing it until the panel gets clean. If it's that bad, then use the clay bar. Personally I only use waterless wash if I've missed a few spots washing. They make waterless wash sound like it could wash a muddy offroad Jeep with no water. It's not a miracle in a bottle IMO.

Start with the basics. A two bucket wash with grit guards. You already have a microfiber mitt. Longer strands or a chenille style is preferable. Use a good quality shampoo with lots of lubricity. Mother’s is decent but I haven’t used them in a long time.

Wash small sections at a time. Rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket before going back into the soap bucket.

First you have to decomtaminate the paint: wash, dry, clay bar. Wash again and dry.
Then you polish the paint: restore the oils
Then you seal the paint: paint sealant

Then you NEVER touch with abrasive or SCRUB the paint like you said you did.

We have to remember that it’s the clearcoat he is cleaning , not the paint. There are no oils anymore.

From another thread I remember car in question is a dark, almost black color. Which will have a tendency to bake contaminants into the paint. I like to spray the car down first with water before doing a rinse less wash. Either at home or a self serv car wash.

Sounds like a traditional wash was done and rinse water was allowed to dry on finish causing spots. Even if allowed to dry in garage spots can happen. There’s something called a CR Spotless that filters rinse water so much that drying isn’t needed. But I think they’re pricey. A leaf blower works well. Then finish with a plush mf drying towel along with a drying aid like detailer or even some waterless/rinse less wash. Clay once per year and spot clay as needed. Use baggy test if not sure.

I haven't moved onto the two bucket method yet--I take the hose and rinse the mitt off before going back into the soapy bucket. Water is staying quite clean in the bucket doing that. Car is indeed a dark color.

Maybe I need some new towels, the ones I have don't seem to have much in the way of drying capacity. Wiping a car down would take a huge amount of towels. That's why I'm trying to get out of hosing down, it doesn't save me any work, just a quick way to get sand off.

Maybe I need some new towels, the ones I have don't seem to have much in the way of drying capacity. Wiping a car down would take a huge amount of towels. That's why I'm trying to get out of hosing down, it doesn't save me any work, just a quick way to get sand off.

A good drying towel is something to consider. You don’t actually have to wipe the water off, just lightly drag the towel across the surface. Griots has one called the PFM. I’ve heard good things about it.

I prefer to first rinse the complete car with water. Then come back with a sprayer attached bottle 100% Protec-it Wash & Wax soap . Rinse with water then return and hand wash a panel at a time and rinse with water. I pay attention to keeping the car constantly wet while washing and rinsing each panel. The I will rinse with water and come back again with the sprayer attached bottle 100% Protec-it Wash & Wax soap and then the final rinse. Then hand dry with a combination of lint free cloths and a California water blade. I am very meticulous about wiping door jams and all around the doors and the door weather seals.

20210305_074031_resize_dca6e9ee1989f20b52dafcc7aba25f559c307502.jpg

I also wash this car min. twice a month because it is the Dailey driver. And it gets a complete detail under chassis and engine washing every 5000 miles or 2 months even in the winter.

Every new car I've owned had contaminated paint from day one. The sand you mention doesn't help but I'm guessing yours was also contaminated (dirt in the paint) from the get go. I would suggest a thorough hand wash & dry followed by claying. A machine polish is in order, NOT compound, then a sealant or coating of your choice.

I'll look into a leaf blower, maybe I can blow enough water off so I can towel off. I need to figure out how to hose off properly, sand and salt buildup on cars is just normal it seems.

But polishing and machine stuff like that, I think I'd hand off to someone else, too much risk of me burning the paint. Maybe have that done next summer, as a spring cleanup or something.

In the end the car is going to be chewed up in 10 years, so I don't want to overthink this. Keep it easy, and let Mother Nature do its bit to destroy the car, albeit hopefully slowly.

I'll look into a leaf blower, maybe I can blow enough water off so I can towel off. I need to figure out how to hose off properly, sand and salt buildup on cars is just normal it seems.

But polishing and machine stuff like that, I think I'd hand off to someone else, too much risk of me burning the paint. Maybe have that done next summer, as a spring cleanup or something.

In the end the car is going to be chewed up in 10 years, so I don't want to overthink this. Keep it easy, and let Mother Nature do its bit to destroy the car, albeit hopefully slowly.
Bought a 40V hypertough cordless leaf blower this fall … great power … seems Walmart is switching to Hart … but in any case 40V seems to be plenty (mine actually uses two 20V + same battery as my 20V hedge trimmer)

I went Makita for my home tools. I've been eying their vac attachment but couldn't justify that, and I don't have a need for a leaf blower, but maybe I do for a water blower.

Back