How It's Made: Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found two neat videos that show the cradle to grave process for oil filters.

First, a video on how oil filters are made. (Please pardon the OCOD
wink.gif
)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCjXtmbL1Kk

Second, a video on how oil filters are recycled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NplprEGyFKw

Pretty neat!

A little off topic, but:

Does anyone know if any of the auto part chains accept used oil filters? I have quite a stack of them and there is a quick lube place that did accept them, but lately they have slightly frowned on accepting Joe Public's used filters (likely from the loss of business).

^ You can do a search on Earth 911.

http://search.earth911.com

For the most part, majority of dealerships, auto parts stores, or Walmarts with a quick lube will gladly accept used filters and fluids. (sometimes even coolant)

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
A little off topic, but:

Does anyone know if any of the auto part chains accept used oil filters? I have quite a stack of them and there is a quick lube place that did accept them, but lately they have slightly frowned on accepting Joe Public's used filters (likely from the loss of business).

When I lived in Texas, all of the Advance Auto and AutoZone took both used oil and filters.

^ Exactly the same in Ohio. Some stores are even beginning to accept engine coolant for recycling.

People also need to check their local and state laws and regulations. I know in some states, they mandate by law that commercial businesses like service stations who collect waste oil in their normal course of business, also must accept waste oil collection from walk up DIY'ers.

In my state of Delaware, the state runs posted collection points but across the river in New Jersey, the service stations and repair shops are required by law to accept walk up non-customer collections.

Good videos. At 3:10 on the first Fram video, you can see why the filter pleats at the media seam are typically larger at the seam, its the way the machine is holding the media when it slides onto the center tube.

My main concern is that there aren't any convenient facilities that would take used oil filters. The parts store don't officially take them, but I leave them there with the oil. The county's recycling facility charges $10 admission fee to enter the area to dump your hazardous wastes.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Good videos. At 3:10 on the first Fram video, you can see why the filter pleats at the media seam are typically larger at the seam, its the way the machine is holding the media when it slides onto the center tube.

I zeroed in on this too. The problem as I see it is with some pleats spread, it leaves others compressed so they don't appear to leave a path for oil to flow thru, thus reducing the media area in play. Cartridge filters don't seem to have this issue, and must have an addition process to re-space pleats. Wire backed media also solve the spacing.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I zeroed in on this too. The problem as I see it is with some pleats spread, it leaves others compressed so they don't appear to leave a path for oil to flow thru, thus reducing the media area in play. Cartridge filters don't seem to have this issue, and must have an addition process to re-space pleats. Wire backed media also solve the spacing.

I doubt they are so compressed that oil restriction occurs. Keep in mind that with a positive displacement oil pump, the pump will force the exiting volume through the filter & engine even if there is a hair more restriction in the filter - as long as the pump isn't in pressure relief (at like 70 ~ 80 PSI). A few "tighter looking" pleats really shouldn't make any real impact to flow IMO.

I'd also doubt it has anything to do with flow, but the way the machine grips the media seems to explain the typical wide pleat spacing at the seam nearly universal on Frams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back