Wrenching With Kenny tries his hand at educating us on oil filters.

YouTube comments are always very telling.. some feel he has some details of how an oil filter works incorrect..

In this video, he uses the same filter cutter I use and he cuts open a pretty nasty filter that he says made a dent in the filter media.

Yet more evidence that YT is for entertainment and not education.

First PF, then UTG ... this guy must be UTG's nephew ...

That's mostly why I shared this.

Even very very good mechanics.. like the former "Ashley Auto" (business retired about 10 or 15 years or so..) Could do anything with a car, tried to save the customer money most of the time but never did an unsafe or sub-standard repair.. would fall flat on his face when asked about oil.

This is why, when I first joined up, I was repeatedly asking about the "point spread" of oil. (10W-30 only a 20 point spread.. should "burn off" the least. Is how I always understood it. 5W-30? 25 points.. etc. 10W-40? 30 points, no good..) It is because it was explained to me by an "expert" - That awesome mechanic that always serviced the cars, both as PM and when something went like starters or something.

Honestly, who here can click on the play triangle, see that the video is over 18 minutes long then proceed to watch it?

You know it's going to be a waste of time.

Honestly, who here can click on the play triangle, see that the video is over 18 minutes long then proceed to watch it?

You know it's going to be a waste of time.
That's exactly what I did.

I'm sure there is SOME info in there for beginners. And not TOO much bad info.

What the heck though, what is the story? Is it really 4k? Is it really "clogged"? What engine?

Here we go posting links to guys that are sounding off. And all these videos the info is suspect. But hey lets give them clicks so they. can make $$$

Every forum has various members preaching youtube videos as factual, when many or entertainment purposes only, and some are blatantly wrong.

Not a good move on his part. He presents himself as a knowledgeable mechanic with a following on youtube, but in this video he displays his lack of knowledge/understanding of oil filters.
The insides of an oil filter ... oh, what a mystery to behold. 😄

What a hot mess ... he too thinks (like Uncle Tony) that the leaf spring is connected to making the oil bypass the media, and then he calls the actual bypass valve the ADBV. What's he think the actual rubber ADBV is?

Last edited:
When you are trained and/or educated to become a licensed Class A motor vehicle mechanic, are you not schooled on how an oil filter works? His comments about an STP oil additive seems a little off to me as well.

I didn't watch it, but I am sure he will be admonished to a fare-thee-well in the comments and soon regret posting.

Problem with social media, eveyone and his cousin can post supposed "educational videos" and add in that your (below) average laypersons have a "celebrity-itis" carryover from the old T.V. days.

These days, if any Joe Schmoe posts a video - it must be the TRUTE !

I repeat my statement from the Uncle Tony lambasting thread: MOST PRO mechanics I have known over 50 decades have NO CLUE about motor oil ** and oil filters. And same with accomplished mechanical engineers I have worked with. I certainly didn't when I was a NIASE Master in the 70's and 80s. I got my education later in life. Some of it here.

This is a Oil and filter NERD forum. Quite a special family. Nurse Ratched, I demand you turn on the T.V. !

I didn't watch it, but I am sure he will be admonished to a fare-thee-well in the comments and soon regret posting.

Problem with social media, eveyone and his cousin can post supposed "educational videos" and add in that your (below) average laypersons have a "celebrity-itis" carryover from the old T.V. days.

These days, if any Joe Schmoe posts a video - it must be the TRUTE !

I repeat my statement from the Uncle Tony lambasting thread: MOST PRO mechanics I have known over 50 decades have NO CLUE about motor oil ** and oil filters. And same with accomplished mechanical engineers I have worked with. I certainly didn't when I was a NIASE Master in the 70's and 80s. I got my education later in life. Some of it here.

This is a Oil and filter NERD forum. Quite a special family. Nurse Ratched, I demand you turn on the T.V. !

This is a Oil and filter NERD forum.
It sure is. And the accompanying lifestyles.. I find acceptance and community here. Even the competitive nature. However, I agree with your statement. (I refer to us as "Oil connoisseurs in the HPL event thread. I run HPL oil. I'm buying some at the event. Most wouldn't even think about using HPL.. Hence, refer back to your statement.)

Now, since I'm the one that posted and started... It came through my video feed on YouTube. And I look and saw the thread about Uncle Tony. I think it is very important to point out incorrect information on motor oil, as well as motor oil filters there are a LOT of channels I don't watch, no longer watch, you find what works for you in terms of presentation and style (i.e. Schrodinger's Box? Yes. Scanner Danner? No. Watch Wes Work? Not really. Wrenching With Kenny? Enjoyable. I Do Cars? Happy Gilmore with an impact wrench. And so on, and so on.. it's up to your preference..) .. so, when WWK puts out a video about oil filters, you get people, like myself, that might get taken in by the "old time" knowledge (things I'd ask someone like @Trav if I ever wanted to double-check my knowledge on something mechanical, including maybe how an oil filter works. Folks like him have their lives, likely have no time, and even if they did, are not obligated to share and educate.) So videos like that one can proliferate.

What value they have.. I'd rather watch a video like that, than read paragraphs and paragraphs upon paragraphs and paragraphs, full of as many abbreviations and technical words as possible, possibly with a slightly arrogant tone and "I know more than you about this so I am going to make sure you know that" presentation about information about oils and/or OFs.. thar doesn't ALWAYS happen, but.. some here, some posts here, are making you make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you know NOT AS MUCH as the one posting the information, and for the few that are on equal playing fields it's all well and good and :cheers: beer icons.. for the rest of us, once we don't get the sense we are presented clear and straightforward information.. to the YouTube "educational videos" we go. And here we are.

And I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't see an Uncle Tony filters thread. That guy once showed him gasoline doesn't burn by putting his cigarette out in a pitcher of gasoline or something. I swear it. And if it was relevant to this thread.. I'd post that.

So this subforum has now turned into an avenue to criticize YTers lack of oil filter knowledge? 😂
No Just you-tubers with lack of vehicle knowledge in general......it's gotten worse with these type of postings with affordability of new cars, high priced beaters, etc. Got to find something to post.

Can't count out Bitog. :ROFLMAO:
The thing about this chat board is that misinformation seems to doused relatively fast and doesn't have a chance to be spread via the Kool-Aid man like on YT and other social media. I mean read some of the YT comments on those Uncle Tony and Wrenching with Kenny videos they made about oil filters. People are drinking the misinformation Kool-Aid heavily.

How can he possibly know that filter is "clogged" just by looking at the media? Good information matters.
And yes he did call some filter parts by the wrong names and did not correct himself during editing.

This is why, when I first joined up, I was repeatedly asking about the "point spread" of oil. (10W-30 only a 20 point spread.. should "burn off" the least. Is how I always understood it. 5W-30? 25 points.. etc. 10W-40? 30 points, no good..) It is because it was explained to me by an "expert" - That awesome mechanic that always serviced the cars, both as PM and when something went like starters or something.
Speaking of "points spread," many 0w40 oils are very highly regarded in these forums... go figure.

I like wrenching with kenny channel. He is like a regular guy, ordinary in every way, like a friend or neighbor you wouldn't mind having, and it looks like he is a mechanic by trade, as he does videos of his own oil changes in a mechanic shop where he seems to have the keys to. I think the advise he gives is general common sense (he's not a PHD in chemistry), but I think many viewers can benefit from doing maintenance based on common sense.

Back