Toyota VVT oil filters, who knew?

Going to replace my leaking valve cover gaskets soon and while watching videos it showed the oil lines to the valve covers have oil filters. They are cheap enough that I plan on replacing them and not cleaning them. I am curious what they look like after running Syn oil and better filters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430-082359.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430-082359.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
Going to replace my leaking valve cover gaskets soon and while watching videos it showed the oil lines to the valve covers have oil filters. They are cheap enough that I plan on replacing them and not cleaning them. I am curious what they look like after running Syn oil and better filters.
They're more like screens than filters. Running decent oil & filters, for a reasonable OCI, I would think they would stay clean.

They're more like screens than filters. Running decent oil & filters, for a reasonable OCI, I would think they would stay clean.
I agree they are screens more then filters. I am surprised they even worried about using them.

VVT solenoid screens are common. And yes, a screen is a filter.

And, with the typical US consumer, they clog often enough.
That’s why I said “when properly maintained”. My main experience is with the Corolla 1.8 in my sig, at 167K the VVT-i system is fine-but it’s had full synthetic (by me) since ~100K miles, so maybe it’s an outlier? My brother has also had a couple of pretty abused VTEC engines, an ‘01 Civic EX & his oil burning ‘01 Accord, and other than VTEC seal leaks/replacements, they’ve been fine. If Dorman makes/sells a replacement one, there has to be a demand somewhere.

They've always had filtering screens. And no one ever changes them unless they damaged them while cleaning them out. But they never need cleaning if you regularly change your oil. It's not a maintenance item.

Back