How is the HD Milwaukee 8 Engine Shaking Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No bashing please, just wanting to know how the 2017 launched Milwaukee 8 engine is doing three years into the product life. I'm kicking around looking for a used Harley Davidson and want to know if there are any particular issues to be aware of with the M8 motor. I feel like a 2017 or 2018 model could be the sweet spot for pre-owned purchase bang for the buck. Probably a street glide, road glide, or road king. I only know the model names not the letter combinations. It would be replacing my Moto Guzzi v-twin. I do this about every three yrs, get bored with bike I have and get something else, if, that is, I don't crash what I have and then get something else. Thanks.

I bought my 2017 M8 Limited new off the floor in July of 2017. After 10K miles I can say that I'm very happy with her. I did purchase the extended 5 year unlimited mile warranty being a new engine. One recall for a minor clutch issue replaced along with a switch. I've had the dealer do all my services at 1K , 5K , and 10K so they have all records. She puts a huge smile on my face with every ride . Much more smooth power than my old 2015 103 Limited. Can't wait for winter to be over to pack on more miles! Absolutely no regrets whatsoever!

I have a friend that bought a 2017 Ultra when they first came out. He rides the wheels off that thing, and has yet to have some of the problems posted on the Harley forums. He's a distance rider and puts 10-12k a year on his bike. Summer and winter, he's a Polar Bear. And for an older guy, he doesn't baby it. He likes to move. Nothing but usual maintenance and tires for him. Of course his bike is bone stock as it left the factory.

they were having a LOT of issues that were noted on harley forums. the plus for harleys even thou overpriced and having issues is their vast dealer network that comes into play for long distance riders. a friend had a wheel bearing repaired while at sturgis on a sunday no less BUT fact is that should not have happened if better parts were used!!!

Originally Posted by CT8
Weren't you stressing about crashing and wanted to sell the Guzzi?

Yes. But I'm getting the itch again. Well, this week at least.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by CT8
Weren't you stressing about crashing and wanted to sell the Guzzi?

Yes. But I'm getting the itch again. Well, this week at least.

Hey LR. . .glad to see you back in the fold again! Happy riding! --Rob

A friend bought a new 2018 Ultraglide with the M8 and it has been rock solid for 2 years and 12,000 miles. Harley has had some teething problems with the M8, but the owners I have spoken with love them.

My friend got a brand new one and had a bunch of issues that got ironed out. Harley basically installed the wrong oil pump from day one and it was flooding the sump and causing crankcase breathing issues. Once they fixed it, the bike has been very good. When riding these new milwaikee 8's I persoannly do not like the throttle by wire feel, and I also do not like how the power comes in mid to high rpm instead of low to mid. It just feels wrong screaming a big displacment long stroke engine like this to get the power.

But they are darn comfortable. Just perfect posture and foot position.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine bought one and has ridden it to Sturgis a couple of times. He loves it...I think he had to take it in for a recall, but other than that, no problems...

I have that curiosity too, I have a '00 Road King with the older TC88 engine, coming up on 50k (all but 15k in the last 4 yrs), and I too find myself considering upgrading to an M8 bike, a Road King in my case. I may well just be paranoid from the inter-webs, but I have a tough time getting confidence that M8 engine is as solid as it should be, new or used. Then there's the famous ticky-tack problems like wheel bearings and the like that makes you wonder what's lurking, or at least would make ME wonder, knowing my over-thinking nature. So at least so far I end up passing on the idea, and go about my business enjoying my current ride, tried and true and reliable. And fun. But I know once I get to a major repair, most likely an engine rebuild or at least a refresh, or some other failure(s) that sap my confidence in its reliability, then I'm back to "what next".

I gave up even keeping track of the boards as to what the latest is on that M8. So the OP's question.

I'd love to be persuaded. If HD could knock off the bobbing and weaving with some of the known problems, that would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back