How important is this brake spring?

brakespring.PNG

2011 Camry. Both drums were locked, one broke free other refused. Finally got the rotor off. Can I live without this spring? I can't seem to be able to put it back on--and yes, I know, if I remove the four bolts holding the hub on, I'd have more access--that's the problem--I removed the 4 bolts and it's not budging. I'm not sure how much I want to hammer on it in the driveway nor right now.

Edit: glad I gave in and posted, watching a vid now on how to do this, and I would have missed the ABS connector. Might go back and see if I can wiggle that spring back in, it was not going before. Other side the pin somehow got elongated and it's tapping on the backside of the studs. :(

Last edited:
I think he meant no, don't leave it out. It keeps the shoe from just falling out towards the drum. I'd image you'd have some pretty awful sounding scrubbing going on if you left the shoe flopping back and forth.
You are correct.

Supton - sorry if I confused you.

Yeah, that's the spring that tensions and holds the shoe square with the backing plate and prevents it from rubbing up against the drum/ rotor hat.

The spring, retainer and "nail" that holds it together is seriously cheap dog kibble money.

Without it you can experience not only noise, but erratic brake operation that can affect vehicle stability.

Do not omit! Replace.

How important?

It keeps the shoe against the backing plate. Without it in place, the shoe is free to wiggle - which means that it can, and will, jam against the inside of the drum. Best case, it'll just fry itself. Worst case, it will lock up the brake.

so, no, you have can't live without it.

And yes, you do have to put it back in.

Last edited:
Looking at the condition of that spring, is it really doing anything currently (when installed, of course) ?

Ok, tried it w/o, and as you guys indicate, it sure does drag.

Managed to crack the rotor while removing too. :( So now I need to head out and see if I can get those pins (nails?) and whatnot, along with rotors and pads too. Boy do I miss my VW and its version of a parking brake--the calipers would go bad on that but I really dislike drums.

So one pin is definitely elongated. Is that from me pulling the rotor? No idea.
bentpin.jpg

As for the rotor, I guess I shouldn't complain, pads weren't too far from being done. No idea what happened here, it sat for a couple of weeks in the garage, but apparently I drove in a lake at some point? clearly at some point water drained out of the drum area.
rotor.jpg

So one pin is definitely elongated.
If you look at the picture of the Autozone kit, one of the pins for each wheel is special, it is longer and bent in a zig-zag. What you've done is pull it out nearly straight, which it isn't supposed to be.

Toyota dealer sells the parts separately but you're likely going to get up around $25 nickel and dime style.

Can't locate the pins locally, dealer didn't have in stock, so ordered and will fix next week some time.

It looks like the two pins on each wheel are supposed to be different length for the one toward the front of the car vs the one at the back.

Toyota dealer sells the parts separately but you're likely going to get up around $25 nickel and dime style.
Yeah, I was just on the phone and the dealer said it's supposed to be bent. Well mine is more as it was dragging on the hub, so will just replace it all. Just might as well go OEM and "know" it'll fit.

"Can I live without this spring?"
Only if you don't drive it! Same deadly outlook for others on the road if you do drive it!
NO.

So I think something happened and maybe it fell off on both sides. Both wheels had the same stuck rotor going on, so "something" happened and the forward spring came off. On both sides. ??? Weird.

Made sure to take apart the other side. Go figure, it fought me too. No ridge on the drum but all the same, had to pry the darn shoe away. Driver's side was a bit easier, bit more experience and the dust shield disintegrated, so I had that going for me. Forward spring fell out and the rear spring is tapping against the wheel studs too.
drum2.jpg

That car is really rusted. Are you sure it's worth fixing?
Well, needs to be fixed enough to move! It's kinda bricked at the moment.

No, I don't think it's worth putting a lot into, but I do think it's got a couple of years left to it. Rust is just starting to pick up on it, I patched a hole last year? something like that, but it was a minor hole in a wheelwell. Not sure if I need that dust shield to pass inspection, I should call the shop on that, I sure hope not, looks like a $277 item (and I'm sure it'll fight me the whole way to replace).

Back