How important is a great engine?

Same thing with a GM 3.1 in a oldsmobile. I had worked in a GM dealer while in college, and all the GM mechanics there said it was the most reliable engine GM made - even better than the 3.8 according to them. Again, I had zero problems, but the car fell apart around it - again no salt.
Interesting, I thought the 3.1 had kind of a bad reputation (head gaskets and intake manifold leaks)

Interesting, I thought the 3.1 had kind of a bad reputation (head gaskets and intake manifold leaks)
Early ones yes, mid 90's they did an upgrade. Still was a cast block / aluminum heads but they added roller rockers and some other things - fixed all the problems they had. Were at that point bulletproof.

2/4 of my cars have bulletproof engines. The '96 Jeep with the 4.0L that'll live forever. But the thing is just getting old all around it. The '00 Camry with the 5-SFE 2.2L, same thing. The engine runs fantastic. The rest of the car is getting real tired.

The Grand Cherokee has the 3.6L Pentastar. Meh, might have some cylinder head issues someday. But it's a good enough engine. The Sonata has the 2.4L, but not one of the ones that catastrophically blows up. Well, not too often. It's a good enough engine too.

Age does seem to play a big part in it even though we don't rust out.

An even better question might be about "great" (automatic) transmissions. More vehicles are junked today over transmission failure than over engine failure. In most newer vehicles transmissions cost more than engines. Some trannies are prone to early failure even with maintenance and fluid changes.

Having a "great" engine means nothing if the tranny takes a premature dump.

What is a good example of a great engine in an awful car? Ford Tempo with the supposedly "bulletproof" Vulcan 3.0?
Awful was too strong of a word. But those fail… er… front wheel drive Impala SS and Monte Carlo’s with the transverse mounted 5.3 V8’s come to mind. Or maybe a Caliber SRT… great engine, but at the end of the day it was still a Dodge Caliber.

An even better question might be about "great" (automatic) transmissions. More vehicles are junked today over transmission failure than over engine failure. In most newer vehicles transmissions cost more than engines. Some trannies are prone to early failure even with maintenance and fluid changes.

ZF 8 speed and you can’t change my mind 😜

I also think that more stories of families getting stranded on road trips involve transmissions. An engine with issues may be limped along for awhile. I've owned a few not so stellar automatics... JF506e (jatco 5 speed, also problematic under other names) was the worst.

I would consider the Chev 6.0 liter LS engine to be a “great engine” and to me would make it worthwhile to buy a used Chevy 3/4 ton instead of a half ton to get it. It never had direct injection or AFM, but did have VVT and had aluminum heads with a simple 2 valve per cylinder OHV design. It also had a cast iron block. It made 352 HP and 383 lb ft of torque. I found it had a ton of passing power without having to exceed 4,000 rpm. Mine currently has 240,000 miles and although the alternator, and power steering pump have been replaced it still has the original water pump and the engine has never been opened up for any repairs. Same said for the 6L90 transmission. It too has 240,000 miles and still shifts well with 50,000 mile service intervals.

The 6.0’s successor is the 6.6 liter with all the same attributes but now has direct injection, again avaiable with the 3/4 ton but not the half ton.

Last edited:
Thinking about all the great engines, for me the automotive definition is “awesome throttle response” coupled with a fantastic output. This is of paramount importance.

For aircraft, the definition involves reliability, light weight, BSFC and smoothness.

There are many great ones

I would assume the vast majority of transmission issues could be chalked up to "lack of maintenance" and/or "lifetime fluid". How many transmissions that at least get a spill-n-fill every so often die an early death? Not looking for statistics, just throwing thoughts around.

The transmission pros can answer this better but although I do a “ Spill and fill every year”, pulling the pan to inspect and clean the magnet is important. In some cases you might be able to catch excessive torque converter wear and save your transmission. I have found on my 6L90 that there was not much in my filter but I do recommend tearing apart the transmission filter after removal to see what’s in it. A pair of garden shears can be used for this. The magnet just had a light fuzz on it indicating normal wear. The filter just has a few specs of metal. The pan itself was clean. This was with 240,000 miles on it. The Dex VI transmission fluid has always been a bright red in colour and was kept that way.

Last edited:
my air cooled VW's have been very reliable but then I do the maintenance on them. I have never had a car or truck with a blown motor because I keep log books in each and perform repairs as needed. I think that helps a lot. Its kinda like getting yourself checked up regularly so you don't have diseases catch you too late.

“Legendary” is an interesting choice of words.

The Packard eight was once legendary for smoothness and torque. In production for decades.

The Volvo white block five cylinder is a solid, durable, engine. Not widely appreciated, but as one of them in my care nears 300,000 miles, it’s a good choice.

The Mercedes M275 twin turbo V-12 isn’t “legendary” but its performance is magnificent. It makes the car.

So, sure, the engine matters when choosing a car.

The Volvo white block five cylinder is a solid, durable, engine. Not widely appreciated, but as one of them in my care nears 300,000 miles, it’s a good choice.

I have a white block "T5" currently. Probably the best part of the car it's in (Volvo S40).

The other engines I currently own are all ones that someone probably called "bulletproof" at some time:
2.5 Duratec 4-cylinder (I think this engine is really good)
Honda J35 (It's just OK)
Ford 2.3 "Lima" (295k miles and climbing)

My 2 cents: most engines are great these days if they're regularly maintained. Some develop known weak points here and there, but those can usually be handled one way or another.

Its the entire package that matters to me. I'm a truck guy so that means basically 5 choices. Toyota is supposed to have some mythical/legendary quality about it, until you watch this review of the new tundra ... and you couldn't pay me to own it:

In fact, that video turns me off of Tundra so much I'd be better off buying a brand new Ram, and swapping in another used hemi for a few thousand dollars in 10 years if mine goes south before the rest of the truck.

So no, "great engines" matter little to me if you're using reliability as your metric for "great". Performance and MPG matter most to me, but only to a certain point; once I get enough of both, the rest of the truck is more important.

A great engine is not much good if the vehicle handles like a pig, the shocks are shot, and the body and frame are rusted to rust bucket hell. You are buying, riding and driving the whole vehicle. That vehicle is only as good as the weakest link until that link is repaired or replaced. A great engine may outlast the other components but still doesn't mean its longevity is enhanced. In my experience, usually the gearbox is the failing element that results in replacing the vehicle due to cost of repair/replacement.

Back