How full is full? Settle a debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the responses. It looks like I win, but it sounds like there is a bit of leeway built in.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

Dealers on new cars overfill a little so lazy customers don't run low by the time the next OCI occurs.

In my case, out of warranty, I fill to the top mark and maybe a touch over, once it drops by
one notch or hole on the dipstick, then I top-up, usually takes 1/2 a quart to get back.

I never let it drop to the very bottom of the crosshatch! But I've seem others go that low and worse!

I knew someone who wouldn't change the oil until the "oil change" light came on.

It was a 2003 Hyundai without any sort of oil change maintenance minder system. That was the low oil pressure light. Because it had gone 4 quarts low.

Also oil will expand as it get hotter so the oil level can depend on the temperature. Keep it in the middle and you can go up or down with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I knew someone who wouldn't change the oil until the "oil change" light came on.

It was a 2003 Hyundai without any sort of oil change maintenance minder system. That was the low oil pressure light. Because it had gone 4 quarts low.

My Sister.
27.gif

I have 2 late model Fords and the dipstick markings are a bit confusing...there is about a 1/4 inch between the top of the crosshatching and the top (max) hole. I normally like my oil at the top of the 'full' line but with Ford's arrangement I'm happy at the top of the crosshatched area or even a bit above as long as it doesn't go above the 'max' hole.(exactly where yours is)
With 6 quarts in the system you are full regardless.....

The dipstick on my 84 Civic broke. The flat spot, like a washer on the dipstick that holds the correct position, came loose. I ordered a Honda dipstick that I knew was the wrong one because the correct one was not available and several ones that I looked at in the junkyard looked like they were about to fail.

I changed my oil and added 4 quarts with the filter when the spec is 3.7. I marked the full mark just below the oil level and called that "FULL". There is no "ADD" because I'm a BITOG member and full is the only acceptable level. If the level varies the slightest amount it gets corrected.

My definition of old age includes not being able to change my own oil. Does anyone else include such a requirement in their definition?

I have found that if I put more than the manufacturer recommends the engine burns it off in a fairly short time, then remains at that new level. I presume that the overage gets vaporized by the crankshaft hitting it in the pan and is burned off. So, I only put in the recommended amount.

Most car and light truck engines will operate for quite a while (like, tens of thousands of miles) with 1/2 their total oil capacity. Tell your buddy to put that in his dipstick tube and smoke it.

And an engine should do everything it's designed to do with the oil at the "add" mark, with only a slight decrease (so small it would be hard to measure) in longevity.

A regular customer brought her '14 Sonata (2.4 DI) in for an OC last week and said her dad checked and it was low, but after conversing on it a moment longer it was only partway down from full. I told her my previous paragraph ^ and that she's doing much better than most if she keeps it anywhere between add and full.

Originally Posted By: jcartwright99
Recently, after changing my oil in my Ford Fusion a buddy of mine said my oil was low. I assured him it wasn't. The owners manual said 5.7 quarts (with the filter). I ended up putting in 6. After measuring several times in a few different days, it's just above the crosshatched section of the dipstick and a little below the top (max) hole.

My friend and I got into a spirited discussion on how much oil you should have in there. He claims it should always be right at the top Max hole and you if you aren't, are low on oil. I say as long as it is either in the crosshatched section or a little above you should be fine. I told him you never want to overfill or be at that over or into that top hole because then you are overfilling it (and that can be bad). He doesn't change his oil and has always gone to Jiffy Lube type places. His rationale is that they always show him his dipstick at the max level.

I am not messing around, so I came here to the oil experts. Who is right on this?

A few ounces over or under? Give him a dope slap for being such an A hole and don't engage in any more such discussion with that idiot.
lol.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: jcartwright99

My friend and I got into a spirited discussion on how much oil you should have in there. He claims it should always be right at the top Max hole and you if you aren't, are low on oil.

Your friend is among the most "obsessive" idiots there are in this world.

I hope his ridiculous idiosyncrasies don't bleed over into other parts of the "friendship".

Originally Posted By: Californiabob
dipstick can be wrong.

This.

Jiffy Lube showing you your dipstick is "full" is meaningless unless they also disclose how much oil was put into the sump.

Some Ford van engines can be slow drainers, as well-the Transit in my sig will generally show as not totally full after an oil change unless it's had 15-20 minutes to all run down the fill tube & into the pan-then it ends up overfilled if extra is added. I still don't think up to a 1/2 quart over really hurts anything, and it's an additional safety margin in case something goes wrong.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
dipstick can be wrong.

This.

Jiffy Lube showing you your dipstick is "full" is meaningless unless they also disclose how much oil was put into the sump.

A dipstick showing full means the engine is filled according to the manufactures specification. This is plainly worded in my owners manuals, but I can't speak for yours. I have confidence that the manufactures can make a stick with two dots on it with a high level of precision. I don't think it's particularly complicated.

Last edited:
The way I see it, there are a few ways to look at it, depending on your car's dipstick:

page.h22.jpg

...and...

oil-dipstick-image.png

...and also...

oil-level.jpg

(although the third dipstick there being slightly over-full is somewhat questionable.. really depends on the car and engine)

Either way, they all generally follow a pattern - There's a "Too low, add oil" line or mark, below which you're running in the 'dangerous' territory, there's a "You're Full Up" line or mark, above which you're overfull and risk other problems, and then there's the space in between the two above marks, within which you are just fine.

I tend to prefer to keep mine as close to the 'full level' as possible.

Going over is only really even slightly adviseable in an engine that tends to burn or leak oil.. but really just to compensate for losses.

The point here is to get an oil change that stipulates it won't be overfilled and even offer proof as in a quick visual standing right outside the service bay. I can't wait to shake my dealership freebees aside and commission my own shop with these stipulations for this very reason or condition of being overfilled.

I don't understand all of this? If you do your own oil changes, as I do, add the required amount which is clearly stated in the owner's manual.
My Ram Hemi takes 6.6 ltrs and my wife's 3.6 Impala takes 5.7 ltrs. Let the oil drain, (after it has been warmed/heated up via a decent drive), until it is down to just intermittent drips.
Add the required amount, ie, what the manual reads, and you are good to go. I check my oil levels, not right then and there, but after another drive to heat things up and only after it has sat for at least 2hrs on a level surface.
My normal oil check is the next day or next opportunity after my vehicles have sat all day, ie 8-10 hrs. Not once have I over or under filled following this procedure, all oil levels on the dipstick read full, or to the "TOP" of the hash marks where it reads "full".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Originally Posted By: sir1900
dipstick can be wrong.

This.

A dipstick showing full means the engine is filled according to the manufactures specification. This is plainly worded in my owners manuals, but I can't speak for yours. I have confidence that the manufactures can make a stick with two dots on it with a high level of precision. I don't think it's particularly complicated.

My parents’ Ford Freestar manual says to put in exactly 5 quarts (4.73L). Every time I change the oil with exactly a five quart jug, the dipstick reads halfway between the markers. I use this as a guide to determine whether or not there is consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back