How far should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first OCI with the GP and I'm wondering how long I should keep the current fill in the sump. Current fill is PP 5w-30, which has 3,454 miles on it. The conventional-calibrated OLM is only at 61% remaining, meaning it would tell me to run a dino until about 8,500 miles with my current driving style. My knowledge of the OC history on this car is limited to what shows up on the Carfax (which is surprisingly quite a bit, but frequency only) and I was planning on using this fill as a cleaning cycle, but it runs pretty smooth and things look clean through the fill hole, so I don't know if that is really necessary. Up next is some more PP, PU, or MaxLife NextGen.

So the question is, how far do I take it? 7,500 miles? 8,500? 10,000? More?!?

No matter the distance, I'm thinking of running a UOA (my first) just for poops and giggles.

Edit: If it matters, the car has just over 135,000 miles on the odo.

Last edited:
What are your driving conditions? I say you can go up to 7500 miles or when the OLM goes to 15-20%. I say stick to PP orPU if the car is not leaking the maxlife would have no benefit. But rrmember the oil filter is also important and make sure it can go such OCI

I wouldn't be in any hurry to change it - just go by the OLM. You won't wear out the motor doing that and running PP.

I go 5000 miles. Call me crazy but when you get out to 200k and your engine is still clean and runs like new it's worth it. If you don't plan to keep the car that long then 7000.

Run it down to 0% on the OLM, then change the oil and send a sample out for UOA. You can trust the OLM on pre-DI GM engines.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Run it down to 0% on the OLM, then change the oil and send a sample out for UOA. You can trust the OLM on pre-DI GM engines.

I agree. Run it to 0%.

I plan on running it to 0% on the OLM and now my question becomes: How long should I run the filter? It is a Bosch Premium Filtech and their website boasts a natural and synthetic filter media that is "up to" 42% larger filter media area and "close to" 30% thicker media, but can it handle 9,000 miles? The D+ claims it can go 10k miles, I assume the standard AC Delco filter can go the full OLM, and the Bosch can at least match that, but want to make sure I have all my bases covered and don't want to find out when I run a UOA at the end of the interval that I had solids bypassing the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back