How far can you push PYB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PYB is an amazing conventional but Hollow has it exactly right. A severe short tripper may have a hard time getting 5k out of it comfortably, while a highway driving saleman might be able to get 15k out of it.

UOA's get misused and abused a lot around here, I admit I do it too, but they are a decent way to look at the condition of the oil.

Oh TBN deterioration is not linear either, so while PYB's initial TBN is approaching HDEO territory, that doesn't automatically mean it would go farther in a given application that something else that started lower. A high TBN is a good thing though.

At least as far as your OM or OLM lets you assuming dino is recommended. My chevys go about 6k miles before the OLM says to change the oil. Thats designed on dino. So around 6k miles i would say. No more than that howeever, IMO.

I can't speak for the 5w20- but years ago, mostly due to oversight & forgetting, I ran PYB, either 5w30 or 10w30, for(IIRC) a little over a year & over 13,000(nope, it was a little under 12,000) mostly highway miles(nope, lotsa short hop driving) in the Neon. Had analysis done on the drained oil, wear #s were very low. It's probably still posted in the UOA section, but you'd have to search *way* back.

Wouldn't surprise me if the 5w20 would offer similar performance in highway driving.

EDIT:- OK, I was wrong, my mistake- mileage was a little under 12,000, but it was mostly short hop driving compared to my former 170 mi/4-5 days/week. Link ro the original report:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/251304/Searchpage/1/Main/17941/Words/UncleS2/Search/true/Pennzoil_5w30,_LC,_11,557_mi,_#Post251304

Last edited:
Stretching conventional oil past 7.5k miles is both penny and pound foolish....syns maybe, (depending on driving conditions), but a regularly scheduled conventional 7.5k OCI is the wisest basic maintenance for long life (other than changing all the other fluids every 3-4 years)....just maintain oil level on the dipstick between the hashmarks...

Last edited:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...703#Post2587486

Uoa of Mine a couple years back. almost 7k mi on PYB 5w30, in just shy of 4 months(~1/3/12-3/25/12), in a NA 1.8l Toyota 1zzfe powered 2003 Pontiac Vibe.
@ that time it was in Pizza Wagon Mode, Delivering pies for Papa Johns, in Columbus,OH. to the tune of about 70-100 city mi a day.

High Si readings, car running K&N Drop in panel air filter, and the Box Doesn't fully seal....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...xtg#Post3355830
More Recent on same car( no longer in Pizza mode), 5w30 next gen, similar miles, but over 9 mos from last July to early april. right through the harshest winter we've had in years, "polar vortex" and all...
not that i would recommenced either interval, I'm more of a 6mo/5k mi type, but that's just how these 2 oci's worked out...

Last edited:
Pennzoil seems to be Chrysler's recommended oil and I believe starting with 2014 model year they allow a maximum of 10,000 mile intervals with Pennzoil Conventional (on non-performance models). They do however have oil life monitors that, probably more often than not, alert for an oil change much sooner.

I think it is going to depend of engine and if it is more freeway or not.

My ecotec engine is easy on oil, and does a 50/50 mix of driving.

I'm thinking about 7.5k would be about the limit in my case without a proper UOA...

Id say in most applications (50-50, or more hwy) i wouldnt hesitate to go 7500 miles. With a UOA I have a feeling more often than not you could go further..but personally when you buy PYB on sale I would stick to max 7500 and then change it.

I know of two Mitsubishi Evolution 8 owners, old timers, that run PYB 5w30 exclusively in their, not only turbo'd, but slightly modified cars. Each has well over 150K miles on the odo and never an oil related issue. Strictly 3000 mile oci's.

Last edited:
Merkava, why are you so possessed with avoiding all varnish? We are talking about a lube for an internal combustion engine. Some "varnish" is to be expected. If you desire factory clean conditions in your engine I suggest you never start your car.

Physically? PYB can be pushed very far in a non-turbo vehicle, a bottle of oil doesn't weigh that much.
wink.gif

Taking everyone's recommendations into account, it sounds like 5K-7.5K would be a sweet spot to aim for.

Originally Posted By: zamadison
Merkava, why are you so possessed with avoiding all varnish? We are talking about a lube for an internal combustion engine. Some "varnish" is to be expected. If you desire factory clean conditions in your engine I suggest you never start your car.

The word you're looking for is "obsessed". Of course it's possible Merkava may also be possessed, you'd have to ask his wife.

I have used it for almost 10K on OCI's. My engines have not failed. From the oil fill hole I can not see any accumulation of varnish.

That being said I am not going to tear down my engines just for the sake of curiosity of looking for varnish.

But in the case of Merkava_4. Who knows why he has a obsession of varnish with his near religious use of PCMO's that are loaded with VII's and shear prone grades such as 10W40 and 20W50 there is no surprise on my part he has experienced varnish in the past.

But I do not recall him stating that he has sent a engine to a early grave. So other than his OCD of varnish it is rather harmless IMO.

A conservative estimate would be the mileage/months figure in any OM.
Most allowed 7.5K or a year in normal service in the days before IOLMs.
The oil could likely go farther in a regularly driven car.
We have a mod here who went 15K on ST conventional with a good UOA to show for it.
PYB is likely a better formulation than is ST.
The only way to know for sure is to run it and UOA it over extended mileage and report back.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Most allowed 7.5K or a year in normal service in the days before IOLMs.

I go 7500 mile intervals because

1) See quote above ^^^
2) 99% highway driving, and
3) Older design engine in my '97 Chevy pickup (4.3L V6)

So far, so good... as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back