How expensive are these all these new fangled saftey features in cars nowdays?

the BEST safety system is a DRIVER that pays attention to DRIVING + stays OFF their CELL PHONE!!! we are all human + stuff happens BUT distracted driving is a MAJOR cause + of course big $$$$ telecomunications COULD fix by disabling phones at certain tines!!!
L Boomer take :(
You've never met someone with ADD/ADHD have you?
You don't need a cell phone to be distracted while driving
Many can manage to be a complete liability on the roads without a phone in the hand

There will never be a substitute for a good operator, for cars or equipment. I’ve seen too many automation failures in my career to completely depend on automated systems to protect me. Even with automation, you must have a very good understanding of how things should be operated and keep your mind on what you are doing.

I know that an ABS pump is north of $4k. On my BMW it would have been $4,200 at the dealer, in 2016, forcing me to DIY. When they fail on Japanese cars it's usually game over since there isn't any DIY on the parts side, accessible to a shade tree. But that's not to say the pump is at fault on a '22. Just an example on pricing.

"new fangled"-nobody under 60 uses that term........

hmmm I knew what it meant but come to think of it, have never said that. I told the story of when someone said don't take any wooden nickels, right? Thought it was an insult but it was not!

About to write that I was a fan of "less is better" until I experienced the benefits of ABS. Saved me more than once, and no it was not my inattention but that of the other driver. At $4K+ for a replacement pump, Ouch. Maybe I will rethink and take my chances. Still a fan of manual windows and trans. Good luck finding them on a new vehicle, at least in the US.

i generally don't like safety systems and ignore them (like the seatbelt dinger, im just moving my car 10 feet) but abs has saved my bacon before

About to write that I was a fan of "less is better" until I experienced the benefits of ABS. Saved me more than once, and no it was not my inattention but that of the other driver. At $4K+ for a replacement pump, Ouch. Maybe I will rethink and take my chances. Still a fan of manual windows and trans. Good luck finding them on a new vehicle, at least in the US.
What I learned as my 1998 car with a stick and ABS (it was optional back then) crossed 2015, an ABS warning and airbag warning are OK as far as passing a safety inspection...in case anyone didn't know (don't junk the car)

I don’t like the idea of being forced to pay $$ for the nanny tech, but as long as those systems don’t disable the car when they go bad it’s not the end of the world to me. One of the ABS sensors on my dad’s truck is malfunctioning so it sometimes was impossible to get it to stop quickly at very low speeds. He just unplugged the lead to the ABS pump and the problem went away. Is that possible with the newest mandated tech?

I don’t like the idea of being forced to pay $$ for the nanny tech, but as long as those systems don’t disable the car when they go bad it’s not the end of the world to me. One of the ABS sensors on my dad’s truck is malfunctioning so it sometimes was impossible to get it to stop quickly at very low speeds. He just unplugged the lead to the ABS pump and the problem went away. Is that possible with the newest mandated tech?
If we want to get technical, there's the ABS pump, and there's the ABS module. When I sent mine back for repair, both as one unit (the repair cost $249 at the time and was guaranteed for 5 years, that was 2016 and never had a problem since), I sent the entire unit back including the module.

I stupidly turned the ignition on, with pump and module out of the car, i.e. disconnected. The car went insane. There were over 30 codes that appeared when I read them, and the most interesting symptom was the wipers were on full speed (as well as airbag and abs lamps lit, among all these implausibility codes). So at least on a BMW, one cannot simply unplug the pump.

Why would I turn it on you may ask? Because BMW asked me for my mileage as I was given a loaner car at the time (long story but Honda and BMW were 2 car mfgs that issued loaner cars to anyone who wanted one during Takata).

Sounds extreme--I have a bad ABS sensor, I'll unplug the pump? imho just drive with the yellow warning.

Eh, I don't think you're looking at replacing "a system" but rather a few sensors.

I don't like nanny systems either and would argue they increase the cost of NEW vehicles but your situation is different.
Cost? What is your life or that of your passengers worth? These systems work. Just saying...

It was a problem before SUV's were invented. Because pickup trucks.

The ultimate mismatch has always been between passenger cars and tractor trailers.

As for pickups. Prior to the 1970's they always had low beds and consequently low bumpers. The mismatch grew in the 1980's because cars became lower to the ground for better aerodynamics which improved fuel efficiency and emissions and SUV'/Pickups grew in popularity.

Last edited:
Yall won't believe this: Somehow the impact was serious enough to damage the engine cradle, so the body shop is waiting on that part.

Last edited:
Back