How easy is your oil filter access?

My Avalon I would consider easy. The Fusion is harder because it requires the hassle of removing a plastic shield first to access the filter.

Both have easy access for filter removal tools if needed.

How about your vehicles?

Taurus is not too bad but oil drips all over the starter and runs underneath.
Expedition is average difficulty but if it's too tight the plastic shield will need to come off.
Trailblazer is somewhat difficult, and that's after I've removed the bottom cover. It's sort of like a plastic skid plate.
Pentastar - ooo aaahhh... top mount cartridge. Easy.

I almost always make a mess although I tell myself every time to take it slow.

I think I get my filters too tight because sometimes I need to pry on them with a crowbar to get them loose. But... I just don't want them coming loose.

My 2005 Ford Taurus can be reached from a standing position in front of the driver’s side of the car. Face the passenger side. Left foot in front of the bumper. Right foot beside the fender. Reach down in front of the engine with your left hand and you can unscrew the filter. :D

`18 4Runner - A pain...skid plate and oil pan drain cover takes time, special tools, special cleaning of cap/care with o-rings
`16 Suburban - The easiest
`06 Odyssey - Average access, minor mess
`07 Accord - easy
`03 Corvette - easy, but getting car up is time consuming

Subaru probably the easiest in that it pretty much stares you in the face once you open the hood.
Hardest lately would be the Fiat 500. You get it from the top too, but it's buried deep.

2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5l Skyaktiv = easy. The filter sets base up on the engine's underside with air all around it.
2005 Ranger 4.0l SOHC = a bit less easy as the filter sets base down (unavoidable drippage) in a confined location aside the engine.
2007 Volvo V70 2.4l NA = fairly easy but for the filter being surrounded by the oil pan requiring "pre-tightening" of my old strap wrench.
The 86mm cup style wrench is something I never bought.

Easy. Filter is on top of the engine. I use Mityvac to suck the oil out.
OC takes about 15 min. No tools required.
Same Setup on my 2016 LR4.. Easiest Oil Change on a vehicle I have ever owned... My last 2017 Ford Expedition 4x4 3.5EB was a pain in the butt because of the front diff setup.. You could see it but you needed 3 elbows to touch it... and it was guaranteed to make a mess...

Car: Notes:
Elantra 2.0 Normal hard - underneath filter .. easy to remove but not as easy to avoid mess.
Jeep 2.0 Easy underneath no mess. Need thin strap style to get around filter.
Subaru fb25 Filter on top really easy.. drain plug normal easy- comes out at angle and can make mess. also dont pull the CVT plug(s) etc.. gets quite a few people.
Ram 1500 hemi Drain drains directly into swaybar splatters all over. Oil filter is off side of block above axle.. drains all over messy hard to get to. even using the ziplock bag trick I cant manage it without a mess.

Three Subaru products currently in the house. You might find something as easy, but there simply cannot be anything that is easier. F150 with the 5.0 is not too bad, but is a little messy. Overall filter removal is not a bad thing at my house.

QX60 and Nissan Rogue = piece of cake to get to oil filter, even easier if you crank the steering hard to right first.
Ford Flex, easiest by far, and doesn't drain onto any subframe or anything else, best of the bunch.
My eldest's 2016 Kia Forte5 2.0L is pretty easy.
1984 Yamaha XJ750 RL right at bottom front of crankcase, just remove the chin spoiler and you're almost done.

Camaro
  • Filter access, easy. Typical SBC.
Safari
  • Filter access, easy. Typical 3/4 SBC.
Legend
  • Filter access, relatively easy.
  • After draining oil from filter adapter (drain plug), remove three cap nuts, filter adapter cover and spring.
  • Remove filter cartridge.
Lumina
  • Filter access, easy (requires cup wrench).
  • Oil in filter drains all over the engine sub-frame, will never corrode.
LS400
  • Filter access, easy, once the engine under cover is removed (10 fasteners).
Yamaha
  • Filter access, relatively easy, time consuming.
  • Remove fairing halves.
  • Reach in between exhaust head pipes and engine block to access filter.
  • Allow oil in filter to drain all over head pipes.
Ducati
  • Filter access, relatively easy, time consuming.
  • Remove RH fairing.
  • Reach under engine block to remove filter.
  • Remove 2nd side plug from engine.
  • Remove and clean oil pump intake screen.
Honda
  • Filter screen access, PITA; screw it don't bother.
  • Remove engine from frame.
  • Disassemble engine; split cases.
  • R&R screen.

2017 Tacoma - I'd rate it fair. I have to remove a skid plate. After that is done, it is easy. This vehicle is a cartridge style filter. I use a torque wrench and have a dedicated oil filter wrench sized for the housing so no issues removing the cartridge housing each time. I do not need to jack the vehicle to get at the filter, that is a plus.
1967 Impala - I'd rate it easy. It is also a cartridge style filter, a single bolt holds the canister on (20 ft.lbs. is what it gets torqued to). The only minor work is picking the old o-ring out of where it sits and then carefully inserting the new one, making sure it is seated properly and not twisted etc. I have to jack the car on the driver's side to access the filter.

Back