How easy is your oil filter access?

1 MB V6 diesel = easy, on top in front, vacuum drain
2 BMW N52 inline 6 = easy, on top in front, hole in bottom covers for drain plugs
1 Honda Civic = easy, but you have to put it on ramps and drop the sheild
1 Yamaha V-twin = easy, on bottom in front. Uses the same cup wrench as the Civic
1 '54 Enfield = easy, but too many parts. filter is an antiquated, 1938 design; paper tube stuffed with cotton and gauze. Seals with a gasket, not o-ring. Guess it was advanced in it's day. Cap is on the bottom in front and comes off with one nut.

A top-side cartridge filter makes everything else seem primitive.

Easy to reach. Easy to ascertain the conditon of the filter. Much less likely to spill even a drop of oil, or worse, have it run down your arm as you're under the car, reaching up/aronud to loosen a spin-on and have it start dribbling wherever it is wont to do. No need to guess the quality of the ADBV or bypass valve in a new or different filter brand; it's all built into the filter housing.

2022 Jeep Wrangler - pretty easy as it’s up top. Pentastar 3.6 as you know. I got two oil changes left that are no cost for me so I’m not doing it until they run out.

2011 Dodge Charger 5.7 - fiddly with having to remove the lower engine cover. But once it’s off the filter is right there pointing straight up. Simple.

2007 Mini Cooper S - whatta pain! I need to remove the coolant t overflow reservoir and remove the cap down inside the left side of the bay. And no matter how careful you are, you will dribble oil when it comes out.

When I had Ram trucks, the filters were placed such that when removed, they gave your steering rack and other cross members an oil bath every time. Figures. 😎

On my last car a 2007 Honda Accord with the 2.4 it was in the back side of the engine block...Have to reach up to remove and you always make a mess with oil as the filter is horizontal..I have a few rags and a can of brake clean to clean up....On my 2021 Honda HRV Sport it is very easy.. It hangs down in the front of the 1.8.....a very simple job and no mess...

2016 Jeep Rubicon 3.6L super easy.
88 E-150 4.9L very easy.
2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L a royal PITA compared to the other two, but not horrible after I did it a couple of times.

Both KIAs - no need to jack up or remove anything to access drain plugs and filters except Sportage - there is a plastic door with 3 tabs, press the tabs in and remove. Daughter's Acura CSX - need to remove passenger wheel and plastic fender shield to get to oil filter, PITA.

My 07 Acura tl filter access is from underneath but if you unscrew the filter itwill drip and drain right on top of the suspension wishbone so you make a mess....when I diy an oil change I take off the right wheel and fashion and place a cardboard "slide" to direct the filter oil away from the control arm so no mess

2019 Q5 super easy up top. 2014 911 easy up top, but need to remove engine fans on top of it which takes all of 2 minutes. 2021 Cayman is a tough one. Need to remove shield under car and filter in a tough spot. It is tougher if car is a PDK as a sensor needs to be unplugged. I have a manual so I dont have to do this step

Subaru probably the easiest in that it pretty much stares you in the face once you open the hood.
Hardest lately would be the Fiat 500. You get it from the top too, but it's buried deep.
I agree the Subaru is extremely easy. Throw a Fumoto valve for the drain plug and your on Easy Street doing an oil change. I do not need ramps or jacks or a curb to change the oil in wife's Subaru. (Loosing a few pounds=smaller belly
would make it even easier.)

2009 G5 - easy, cartridge filter up top.
2016 Jeep Patriot - also easy, filter up front and a cutout in the bottom tray makes it easy to reach.

I agree the Subaru is extremely easy. Throw a Fumoto valve for the drain plug and your on Easy Street doing an oil change. I do not need ramps or jacks or a curb to change the oil in wife's Subaru. (Loosing a few pounds=smaller belly
would make it even easier.)
LOL. You haven't met my 2008 Outback. The filter access is essentially up through a "donut" hole of exhaust heat shielding. Worst access I've ever dealt with, including a '67 Chevy with a bolt-through cannister OF.

BMW B58 engine: the filter cartridge and holder are at the rear of the engine on the driver's/intake side of the engine bay. Removing the the filter holder is a bit of pain as once it's loos you have to wiggle the holder and filter out. That dribbles old oil onto the engine.

My Ecosport uses a modified Focus 2.0 Duratec with D.I.

But the filter is hanging down right there. No undertray to get in the way of the drain plug either.

"Washerless" steel drain bolt with reusable captive rubber O ring.

Not much room to crank around on the filter wrench as the rad is right there - but it's o.k.

Now my old Mazda Protégé - man, that filter was "hidden" and not accessible.

Ford Cleveland Duratec 2.0 drivetrain
duratec2.0 filter and drain.jpeg

Back