How easy/hard is it to return used motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could also burn the used oil maybe a quart at a time through a full tank of gas....

If that is a bad idea, please tell me why.
40-80:1 gas : oil ratio is two stroke territory... Also DI has pretty small injector holes I believe, so you should probably run it all through a decent filter... and then catalytic convert contamination. My cars seem to burn a quart per 700L of fuel through the motor which is about one OCI and I've always had happy cats. Burning a whole oil change in one OCI seems like its asking for trouble... Its about a 150:1 gas : oil for my cars.
Maybe in an old pickup that uses much more fuel in an OCI?
Also I've heard of guys adding used motor oil to older tractors, I'd also worry about the oil separating, and breathing in all the heavy metals in used oil isn't a great idea. Diesel exhaust is bad enough as is.

The oil CAME from the ground, why is it bad to return it to the ground? Oil is often sprayed on dirt roads to keep dust down so how is that different?
The stuff they spray on roads is more like a diluted version of the same oils used to make asphalt.... It contains none of the bad things that are found in used motor oil.

40-80:1 gas : oil ratio is two stroke territory... Also DI has pretty small injector holes I believe, so you should probably run it all through a decent filter... and then catalytic convert contamination. My cars seem to burn a quart per 700L of fuel through the motor which is about one OCI and I've always had happy cats. Burning a whole oil change in one OCI seems like its asking for trouble... Its about a 150:1 gas : oil for my cars.
Maybe in an old pickup that uses much more fuel in an OCI?
Also I've heard of guys adding used motor oil to older tractors, I'd also worry about the oil separating, and breathing in all the heavy metals in used oil isn't a great idea. Diesel exhaust is bad enough as is.
Because motor oil is not designed to burn.

My logic would be.. that, if it mixes with the fuel and burns in combustion hopefully there would not be major catalytic converters poisoning. The amount could most certainly matter.

However, I am aware that people do not normally pour used motor oil into their gas tank.

My logic would be.. that, if it mixes with the fuel and burns in combustion hopefully there would not be major catalytic converters poisoning. The amount could most certainly matter.

However, I am aware that people do not normally pour used motor oil into their gas tank.
if it was filtered would probably be ok in older diesels.

in a car esp a modern one its a bad idea for a variety of reasons.
you would also want to keep it to 500:1 or so or 1oz/4-5gal.

if it was filtered would probably be ok in older diesels.

in a car esp a modern one its a bad idea for a variety of reasons.
you would also want to keep it to 500:1 or so or 1oz/4-5gal.
It was common for people on the MB diesel forums to put a quart of their used motor oil in when filling the fuel tank. That was the old, IDI with mechanical injector pumps. I wouldn't try it today with electronic DI engines.
The fuel filters were cheap and easy to change.

Some RX-7 owners add oil to the gas.... But it is a special oil, not some random used motor oil.

Always take mine to the local parts retailers Autozone, Advance auto, O'Rielly's. Only once turned down when their container was full. Must have been a busy weekend! Now brake fluid....that's another matter. Much smaller quantity but still needs to be disposed of cautiously. Fortunately, my local municipal recycling center accepts it.

Amazing how complicated it seems to be to get rid of your oil in the US!

Here, you just go to your local waste facility and they have tanks to dump your waste oil in.

Back when I passed my driving test in 2010 I was driving around in a Peugeot 406 with a 1.9 Turbo Diesel which had a Bosch VP44 pump and indirect injection. I used to run it on 70% waste 'filtered' cooking oil and 30% misfuel which garages were usually happy to give away. I was changing my oil every 3,000miles as the cooking oil can cause issues. I used to dump the old oil a litre or so at a time back into the tank when filling up.

My local Waste Management trash collection will pickup 2 gallons of waste oil every week on trash day. So I put it at the curb on trash day. Easy.

Back in the day I used to return it to Advance Auto. They gave me that “tank is full” line twice. Never again. Drive around back and leave it at the back receiving door. It’s magically taken care of. Imagine that.
exactly what i do...

Buy a 5 gallon jug of oil from Walmart dump it in your car.
Refill the jug with used oil then super glue the cap on and take it back to Walmart for a refund.
Free oil
Old oil gone.

Buy a 5 gallon jug of oil from Walmart dump it in your car.
Refill the jug with used oil then super glue the cap on and take it back to Walmart for a refund.
Free oil
Old oil gone.
Clean off any smudgy oily fingerprints first. Or not, depending on how lax they are at your local Walmart.

I used to live in an area where there was a yearly hazardous waste collection program. You had to wait all year to drop off stuff like paint, florescent light bulbs, engine oil etc since there was no centralized location to drop the items off year round. The line for the event was miles long and wrapped around multiple blocks. I saw a few people that got tired and drove off, pretty sure they just threw their hazmat into the garbage....

We have a quickie lube type place just a mile away from my place. They do accept used oil, but they are closed on Sundays so I usually drop my used oil (5 qt bottles) next to their bay doors on a Sunday. I do this to save time having in having to seek someone out and interrupt their work day plus it save me time too.

I encountered the "tank is full" few times at AAP and AutoZone. But in a day or so they accept my usual 5q recycled oil. Honestly did not think of it they want to push people back but makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back