How easy/hard is it to return used motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I lived in NYS, through 1999, it was simple, because it was the law.

But here in Phila. metro?

I work in NJ so one day I decided I'll just return it after work. Place after place rejected me.

Maybe this is a loophole: "My tank is full, I can't take it." Meanwhile people are pulling in for oil changes.

That day I went to a random garage in PA--the guy wasn't all that happy but took it. Other places in PA say the same thing, "Tank is full."

It's really a shame imho--2 of our cars take 5 quarts, one 6.8. That's not a lot of oil to refuse. Recycling is as basic as being responsible imho. A homeowner DIY has no other means and I think people who sell it should take it back for disposal.

:D
I've used AutoZone over the last several years in multiple states. I simply bring in my used Oil in 1 Gallon containers and leave it on their Recycle Cart with Oil and Batteries

I stopped trying to bring it to oil retailers. "Oil Drum Full" sign is the norm - you know, peeling tape with long dead bugs stuck to it. I have a suspicion that repair shops dump their oil there, kind of the same reason the oil shelves at Walmart are pretty much picked over.

Pretty easy where I live. It just takes a little effort and short drive.

I can bring waste oil to the city's waste transfer station and dump 5gal/day into their collection drums for free. Or I can take it and other wastes to the household hazardous waste facility just off the runway at the Stockton Airport, also for free.

Yeah, I know....my taxes are funding this but unlike other government programs, this is well worth the price.

Yeah i’ve noticed the whole “tank is full” thing alot lately down here in Houston. Call me entitled or what ever you want, but frankly i get sick of it. They sell the product at the parts house, i pay them my money for said product, they going to take the by product. Next time you walk in and they say that the tank is full or if they have the 10 year old looking hand made sign on the door, just tell them that “i bought it here, i need to dispose of it here” i have never once had anyone at autozone, o’rileys, etc ever say anything other than, “ok just put it on the battery cart” or “just set it on the ground by the register”. Pretty sure all counties have a hazardous waste disposal center somewhere though. Walmart will take it as well. Have never had a problem with Walmart.

i pay them my money for said product, they going to take the by product. ...just tell them that “i bought it here, i need to dispose of it here”
😂 That's just laughable. What about your used oil filter, packaging that items come in, the old wiper blades, and so on ? Those the parts store's responsibility too ?

A couple years ago I had twenty gallons to get rid of, I stopped at Walmart and they said by law they could only take five gallons in one day. I took the other 15 gallons to Autozone and they said sure, we will take it all.

😂 That's just laughable. What about your used oil filter, packaging that items come in, the old wiper blades, and so on ? Those the parts store's responsibility too ?
Most states have laws that require them to take back used oil. No such law for old wiper blades, oil filters etc.

Related question. Does anyone know of any place that takes just empty oil bottles that don't have any oil in them (such as from topping off)? I'm going to have a severe oil burner soon so will be accumulating a lot of empty bottles. I know a lot of people re-use the bottles for used oil, but I don't do my own oil changes so I won't need them for that

When I had some used motor oil and disposed it at my county's transfer station, they just said, once you dump the used oil it in the recycling tank, just throw the bottles in the regular trash tipping station. Aside from seeking some place more convenient, that doesn't really seem good. I haven't tried yet, but I figure most auto parts stores, etc, may not take empty bottles without some used oil in them, but does anyone have any experience?

For used oil, it may depend on your specific regional club, but in the past AAA-branded car care centers would take used oil from AAA members (these are the big AAA-branded and operated repair shops that are often co-located with an AAA travel office, not a local mechanic that just has "AAA approved/recommended" status). I haven't checked yet it they will take just empty oil bottles
Does your town have curbside recycling? Some auto parts stores would let me take the oil to the back and dump it in the oil collection tank and then I would take the 5quart empty bottles and throw them in my recycle bin for recycling.
Here lately they just have you leave the full container of used oil on the carts and they dump them when they get around to it. Not sure what they do with the empty jugs afterwards

PG County, MD allows 3 gallons at the "convenience centers" or landfill recycle center. You pour it yourself into the 1k gallon tank. They have a recycle bin for the bottles and filters. Also has antifreeze barrels. Nobody really watches. I got behind a guy with a trailer full of mowers and he must have dumped 8 gallons. Attendants didn't say anything.
Locally, I've given up on stores. Only one AZ will take it without a fuss. I've had all of the AA, NAPA, Pep Boys, and Walmart refuse it. Usually "the tank is full", but I did get an "our machine is broken" LOL. Sure lady, you have a machine. And one store told me they can't handle it because of Covid. Uh, you can handle my cash, but not my bottle because it might give you Covid. OK.
Convenience center with the bottles.

Ohio must be a second rate state. In many places it is the state, county, or local ordnance. Where I live, autoparts stores are required to take it. Convenience, dollar stores, and grocery stores are not. You want to do business, you have to abide by the rules of the license.

Most or some ?
Guess I'm spoiled here, we have a state law that requires all retailers that sell oil to take back used oil. Some national retailers also take it back but I guess they're not required by state law.

I'm also spoiled here in rural NC. My local trash transfer station run by Waste Management accepts used motor oil, oil filters, tires and automotive batteries. I have two 5 gallon metal cans, one Kendall and one Wolf's Head, that I use to carry used oil to the dump.

Last edited:
Montgomery County, MD waste transfer station will take up to 5 gallons per person per day. Drive up and empty it into one of two tanks. No charge, no problems, (almost) never any questions asked. They have another tank for antifreeze and one for cooking oil too. It's pretty easy and never a hassle.
Same story at county recycling centers here.
When I lived in North Carolina, I took used oil to the local Advance Auto.

By chance do you know what they do with the old fluid ? If a company like Safety-Kleen recovers it, they won't accept it or they'll take and charge a hazmat disposal fee. Do they sell it to folks who use it for heating oil ? Can you use fluid with coolant, brake fluid, etc for heating oil (safely) ?

Not 100% for sure ?? He's a fleet master tech and his workshop fluid tank is HUGE !! I'm going to see him tomorrow to fix A/C on my truck and ill ask him

My Borough (County) landfill's hazardous mats handling and storage shop takes oils, paints, anti-freeze, batteries, etc. They burn the waste oil to heat the large drive-thru bldg each winter season. I reuse a former 5-gal metal kerosene can and fill it with used vehicle oil. Take it to the landfill 2 or 3 times a year. Fine by me, and it's only 1.5 miles away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back