How does Royal Purple compare to other oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Royal Purple the best oil, or is there something better? Talking least friction and wear, Whose oil is actually THE BEST??

welcome2.gif

No it's the worst.............................Kidding
grin2.gif

Actually only you can decide that, no one else. It would not be my first choice. You should do some reading because asking this question without reading some of the other posts tends to raise some people's ire.....

I think they judge you as lazy........Judgemental bastages........

Last edited:
There's no such thing as one best oil for all applications. I think in the price range of Royal Purple, I would opt for either Amsoil or Redline instead. There are many people who use them that have good results. Not to mention Redline is ester based.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
There's no such thing as one best oil for all applications. I think in the price range of Royal Purple, I would opt for either Amsoil or Redline instead.

Ditto on the first part.
In my area Amsoil costs as much and I have to drive accross townn to get it. Redline is mail-order only. I use Purple for the higher zinc and ready availabilty...but that's my town.

Royal Purple has recently been chastised for its wild, unsubstantiated claims. Expect to see their advertising claims.

Overall, it seems to be a very good oil, right up in the ranks of Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Far superior as Royal Purple claims? Not on your life.

According to GM, not GM4718M approved as they lead you to believe they are in big, bold letters on the bottle:) Just believe them, they want to sell you oil...

Originally Posted By: smokeyfan1000
Is Royal Purple the best oil, or is there something better? Talking least friction and wear, Whose oil is actually THE BEST??

As if anyone here actually would know the answer to that question.

Originally Posted By: smokeyfan1000

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

There is NO one best oil that fits all applications!

Some oils seem to better better than others in certain applications but then not as good as those same oils in other applications.

Only time will tell if your choice was right.

That being said, any quality SM/GF-4 rated oil changed at a reasonable interval with a high quality filter will return you more miles than you probably need.

If you choose to go with a higher cost motor oil, I would use the Amsoil. It works great in my application, makes the engine run smoother than others and returns fantastic numbers on my UOA's.

cheers3.gif

Steve

There is no best. RP is good as is Amsoil,PP and others. I have used M1 oils for 31 years and they have been outstanding for me. Many very clean, high mileage engines over the years with never a failure. Just be careful of companies that make outlandish claims about their oils. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
For the record I do 9-11000 mile OCIs and that has worked well for me.

I'm not crazy about the marketing gimmicks ... but it usually performs well. I choose other brands that are not so over-hyped ... and typically cost less.

Originally Posted By: OilGuy
According to GM, not GM4718M approved as they lead you to believe they are in big, bold letters on the bottle:) Just believe them, they want to sell you oil...

RP never claimed to be certified as meeting GM4718M. They simply stated it met the requirements. There is a big difference if you take the time to read the bottle. This is common practice among ALL oil mfg's( ie; to claim meeting certain spec's if they haven't been certified )except maybe Mobil 1 who pays to be certified for every oil standard known to man it seems so they don't need to. Nothing immoral or illegal about saying their oil met GM4718M if it in fact did.

To the OP - it is great oil. As good as any other people can name. One of the top 3-4 premium class oils available out there. However, as has eben said, there is no "Best" oil period.

Last edited:
To touch on NHHEMI's point...

With Amsoil they claim to meet all the spec's under the sun but only one of their oils is tested and certified by the API and that's their XL-7500 series oil. All others is done by their own in house testing and verified by a 3rd party lab.

I still use it with confidence because the company knows how to make certified oils as shown by their XL series, but chooses to put this "Certification" cost into the oil rather than in the pockets of the API cronies. I like this way of thinking...

A company that has been growing exponentially and beating sales forecasts for over 30 years is enough evidence for me that they know their stuff, and gives me the confidence to use their product and sleep easy at night knowing my engine is extremely well protected even with long OCI's.
thumbsup2.gif

Not always is the API certification the deciding factor. During the warranty period of your vehicle maybe, but after that I toss it out the window and go with what I feel is the best oil for my application regardless of API-certification approval.

Now I'm not saying RP isn't as good, as I have only tried it once, but for the price which is almost the same I feel that Amsoil is a better bang for the buck!

cheers3.gif

Does anyone have any hard data on how much certification fees are for various organizations? The numbers I have seen are typically in the neighborhood of $1,000 which is peanuts compared to the cost of doing the actual tests.

API's fee
Quote:
FEES
The EOLCS minimum royalty fee for licensure is $1,050
U.S. for API members and $1,250 U.S. for non-members.
Additionally, an annual fee of $0.0015 per gallon of
licensed motor oil after the first million gallons of
production of licensed oil will be assessed.

from http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/forms/upload/Instructions.pdf

That is absolute peanuts compared to the cost of actually running the tests. That makes me think that the companies that don't get API licensed don't want to run the actual required tests. The tests are expensive.

Another explanation could be that sometimes they know their oils won't meet the API specs. That could be for good or bad reasons.

I wouldn't run it in my lawnmower. Of course, I'm particular about what goes in my lawnmower.

Run a real oil with real certifications. Or at least run an oil that gets consistently good UOAs. Or both.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
...With Amsoil they claim to meet all the spec's under the sun...

I was reading a bottle yesterday (Amsoil) and it did not specifically state that it met certain specs like ILSAC GF4, etc., etc. It stated for use in cars with such and such requirements. Wording is important.
I have no doubt that it is more than good enough for those specs though, and same with RP. But it did not say it was tested and approved for them.
Am I wrong in reading it this way?

I read the test RP says they did, and RP is supposed to stand up to Extreme Press. better. According to RP it survived way beyond the test, beating heck out of Mobil1 and lesser oils. Wanted to know if any independant company tested it with like results. RP claims 40* drop in readable engine temp with their oil for Harleys also.I am running RP in a 91 240 n/a Volvo that has 159,000 miles on engine. I figure to use best oil I can afford, and hopefully engine will run 150,000 or more mile further. Hoping to "arrest" any further wear on engine by using RP. Who has the "hard" evidence on motor oil comparison tests?? Or does every company yell "Our's Best" with no testing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back