How does Royal Purple compare to other oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think a lot of criticism about RP is due to it's shearing.

Only 1 or 2 of its grades sheer "badly".. I believe they are 5w30 and 10w30...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think a lot of criticism about RP is due to it's shearing.

Only 1 or 2 of its grades sheer "badly".. I believe they are 5w30 and 10w30...

Well, those are pretty popular street grades
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Uhh, if long-term trending analysis has any real significance at all I would say their oils are as good as any out there. It's up to you whether you wish to pay what they ask for it. I've had samples analized in a number of my customer's cars over a year and a half period and it performed in every application very well with numbers looking better with each UOA. I have gas applications that are running it out to 12K between services with very good numbers and one deisel application that is running the 15/40 oil in a 7.3PS to 17K. Most of the hate around here stems from someone running one or two UOA's and declaring the oil is trash because their $20 UOA did not look good to them. The rest stems from the fact that they won't divuldge proprietary info as to their formulation. They have clearly stated that their oil is formulated with grp4 base stocks with group2+ for additive carrier oil. One well-respected analist on here has spoken quite highly of them after working with their oil products. This however will not be enough for some.
My advice to you if you are really interested in the oil buy enough so you can run at least 4 or 5 intervals. Take an initial VOA sample of the oil and then start running a reasonable interval like 5K mi. Ifall is well at 5K extend it out another 1-2K based on the analists reccommendations. Once you have reached the first interval's drain service the engine and then see how the oil looks at the end of that interval. You may actually start seeing some data that means something by the time you get to your third or fourth oil change. If your reports start looking better then you know the oil is working well for you and the cost/benifit of the oil is better than you thought at first. If not,at least you will know your data has some measure of accuracy to it. It's silly how some will fret like a old woman if their iron level with one oil is 10ppm more in ONE or TWO uoas as compared to another oil. In reality, there's not an oil on the shelf that meets your car's specs that won't keep your engine running way past your own death if your service interval is accurate. 10-20-30PPM in one oil change?? At that rate, that engine will be running well long after you are not running at all.
Yes, their products are very well made. Decide for yourself whether the price is worth the benifit. The real Koolaid drinkers are the ones that set themselves up as an authority when they have not done the long -term trending analysis to base their claims on.
RP has never touted their oils to be long-drain oils but they do quite well in what I consider to be small-sumpped Asian and "American" cars. If you engine's sump is 4qts(which is the average)10-12K on an oil change is pretty good. RP will hold quite well in many of those applications for that interval but in others no oil is suited for that long.

thumbsup2.gif
Best post of this thread

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Multiple UOA's here show RP shears not matter which grade.

No they don't. I haven't seen a 5w20, 10w30, 0w40, SAE 30, SAE 40, SAE 50, 10w40, 15w40, 5w40, or 20w50 UOA showing them sheared w/out severe fuel dilution. This doesn't even go into their XPR, SPR or Nitro racing oils.

As a side, you can find UOAs on this board of just about every oil that has sheared.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

No they don't. I haven't seen a 5w20, 10w30, 0w40, SAE 30, SAE 40, SAE 50, 10w40, 15w40, 5w40, or 20w50 UOA showing them sheared w/out severe fuel dilution. This doesn't even go into their XPR, SPR or Nitro racing oils.

As a side, you can find UOAs on this board of just about every oil that has sheared.

Exactly. The RP rumor mill keeps on churning out the false info though.

Stop passing on false information, please.

Don't you love it when newbies come here and instantly know everything? They forget I've been here since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem and have probably seen moe UOA's than they could imagine. RP has shown repeatedly over many many years it shears and shears badly. The UOA's are on this site, go find 'em!

Don't you love it when newbies come here and instantly know everything? They forget I've been here since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem and have probably seen moe UOA's than they could imagine. RP has shown repeatedly over many many years it shears and shears badly. The UOA's are on this site, go find 'em!

There are plenty of 5w30 UOAs, but not of the ones listed above. If you think you can prove otherwise, go right ahead. You are making the claim. No one else should have to do your dirty work.

Beside the point, most of those 5w30 UOAs had fuel issues or other issues contributing to the cause.

Have you used RP oil? I have. I experienced no shearing. I posted the UOA on this site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back