How do YOU wash microfiber towels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best way to wash microfiber towels? Is a dedicated microfiber detergent needed or can I just use the Persil 2 in 1 that we use for our clothes? This in a modern HE front load washer. Any advice on temp, setting, cycle, and drying would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wash them by themselves with laundry detergent and hot water, then hang them to dry. If you put them in a dryer don't use any heat.

I use a clear rinsing detergent (I think its "All Free" at the moment) with a load of white vinegar in the softener bucket.

We have bath sets made out of microfiber and the wife uses the same detergent that we use for our washer. I believe it is GAIN regular from (I can hardly say the name Walmart). Purchase it there because they carry the larger size.

I wash them together when I get a bunch- I do not mix with other laundry.
But I only run them in hot water for 8 minute cycle with off the shelf laundry detergent.
Any brand. no problems.

Really you should wash them the same way you would with cotton cleaning cloths. There are a number of ways to wash things and I think any reasonable one should be fine. Wash them separately from other items. If your rags get oily, go to the laundromat to clean them.

If you are worried about soap residue, use "safe" detergent like Laundry Soap Flakes, but it may not clean every type of grime you may end up with. Air dry.

Microfibre is a synthetic medium so bleach or alternately a Peroxide-based "Oxy" cleaner should be OK (may affect colour though).

I wash everything in cold water; solves a lot of laundry problems before they start, and I don't find I need the hot water to get laundry clean. Warm or hot water can also act as a fixative to set some stains (eg protein based ones).

I'm a lifelong Tide user, never used Gain which is a low cost detergent, but if it gets your clothes clean then maybe I'm the one wasting money. Having said that, I am personally wary that "value" detergents would work in cold water as well as Tide.

I am a reluctasnt convert to microfibre; I've started using them but only on items where I am not concerned about scratches, no matter how tiny. So, not on camera lenses, not on paint jobs I care about; for that I still use 100% cotton (I buy them from the diaper service after 50 baby bottoms have worn them to super softness). But all the above regarding washing applies to the cotton rags as well.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like the concensus is that you can use whatever detergent that you use for your other laundry (no need for a dedicated microfiber detergent) and wash them separately from your other laundry. Opinions on temperature vary.

I'll use the Persil 2 in 1 and wash separately with warm water.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
What's the best way to wash microfiber towels? Is a dedicated microfiber detergent needed or can I just use the Persil 2 in 1 that we use for our clothes? This in a modern HE front load washer. Any advice on temp, setting, cycle, and drying would be appreciated. Thanks!

I wash them separately in my Miele 1215W on hot (not very hot or sanitize) using Persil white with a bit of oxy clean or industrial sodium percarbonate you can buy for much less.

Persil color contains too many brighteners and softeners and the microfibers lose their effectiveness.

UD

Last edited:
I throw mine in the washer with a Tide Pod on warm regular cycle. Throw them in the dryer on regular dry cycle. They have been holding up very well.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I wash them together when I get a bunch- I do not mix with other laundry.

I do the same, but use warm and something like Tide Free, and give them an extra rinse. I hang dry them then, too.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Wash them separately and don't use a softener in the dryer.

this, but just don't use any fabric softener period. either dryer sheets, or liquid softener in the wash.(which your Persil 2 in 1 may contain...haven't looked it up, but the 2 in 1 part makes me think so...)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: loneryder
Wash them separately and don't use a softener in the dryer.

this, but just don't use any fabric softener period. either dryer sheets, or liquid softener in the wash.(which your Persil 2 in 1 may contain...haven't looked it up, but the 2 in 1 part makes me think so...)

Good point. I just double checked and it contains an extra stain lifter, no softeners.

Persil 2 in 1

Tide- even the newly formulated Tide HE suds too much in a euro style washer where the US ones (even the US HE ones) that use more water are usually ok.

Using an identical amount of tide and persil the tide needs the third rinse in my machine to come fully clean.

If one loves in an area where water usage is billed in an accelerating scale the perils premium becomes worth it.

UD

I wash 'em with everything else but choice of soap made me chime in.

I use Arm & Hammer laundry detergent (big yellow box seems to have given way to big yellow pail).

Always dissolves (how may time have people sworn that powdered detergents "DO NOT FULLY DISSOLVE". Never had a problem.

It's not a sudsy product either.

Rinses perfectly and has no smell. Media tells us people swear by Tide. That's groovy. I think the stuff has way-to-strong a smell.

No connection with the company.....just like the stuff.

I wash mine separately, Plain Tide, hot water and double rinse cycle, low heat dry
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I wash all my MFs together in warm or hot, using a "Free" detergent, like "Tide Free" or "All Free & Clear" on a standard cycle, but with an extra rinse cycle, then dry on low/no heat in my dryer, with no softener.

Warm water, all free and clear or micro-restore, vinegar in the rinse cycle. Microfiber is the only thing that will touch my paint, leave cotton for the dish towels.

As long as you don't use fabric softener you can essentially use whatever you want. I prefer to line dry mine and use the air fluff option to "perk" up my microfibers.

Wash microfibers by themselves. Use any free and clear detergent. Air dry. Never use softener, don't use heat in the dryer. If it's really soiled, I soak them in a bucket containing degreaser. However I've gotten used to just having a bucket with of soapy water and toss the microfibers in there right after I use them often when I'm detailing the car. It's soaks long enough to get the toughest stains out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back