How do you like the driving aids in today's cars?

Just took the Prius in to get the peeling white paint repaired. Been waiting for months.

For a loaner, they set us up with a 2024 Corolla SE. I've been driving older vehicles so long... I don't think I've been so impressed with a rental car, ever.

Anyway, this thing has Toyota's TSS 3.0, so it's got the collision detection, adaptive cruise down to 0 mph, and lane guidance. I have driven my mom's 2017 Pilot a few times with the lane keeping, but this Toyota seems a little better. Been really enjoying the ACC and lane guidance in my rush hour commute, a bit less stressful.

How about you? Do you like the driver assists? I'm a fan!

Also might be good for people with disabilities - reduces the skill required to drive safely, IMO.
I turn off lane assist as I find it annoying. I find blind spot detection to be useful because my wife refuses to properly adjust the side mirrors. Backup camera is okay. Bumper sensors are annoying because the sensitivity is, against my suggestion, set too high. I've never scuffed my bumpers anyways.

Given a choice I'd opt out of the driving aids, especially when you factor in the cost of replacing a windshield in some of these cars, or the cost of glass coverage. I learned how to drive and park using mirrors and turning my head, thank God I can still do that.
It cost $850 for a new windshield in my 2020 RAV4. Calibration of the driving aids included. Cost of glass coverage is $44 a year.

i absolutly cant stand the mirrors that point to the ground in reverse. stupidest thing ive seen in a while.
Having owned BMWs for over 20 yrs I love that feature. Passenger side mirror tilt makes parallel parking and backing out of the tight spaces so much easier.

It cost $850 for a new windshield in my 2020 RAV4. Calibration of the driving aids included. Cost of glass coverage is $44 a year.
That's not terrible, but that's a 2020, I'm talking new cars. Rain sensing wipers, ADAS systems with automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, etc. can be a lot more than that, especially in vehicles newer than yours.

That's not terrible, but that's a 2020, I'm talking new cars. Rain sensing wipers, ADAS systems with automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, etc. can be a lot more than that, especially in vehicles newer than yours.
I've always been pretty good at recognizing when it's raining out. Even out here in the desert.

Like most things, sometimes the idea and concept itself is great but the actual execution of it is horrible.

Backup cameras are generally good. I find them useful for lining up a trailer hitch. Blind spot monitoring can definitely be helpful, and on most vehicles isn't intrusive or annoying. Some of the others like lane keep, auto cruise and collision avoidance are 100% dependent on how the manufacturer implements them. They can either be decent, or extremely annoying and ruin the driving experience of the car.

It has rain sensing wipers and adaptive cruise. I thought it was going to cost a lot more based on the smart systems.

The only modern "driving assist features" I really like are adaptive cruise control, blind side warning, and backup camera. Unfortunately, I own no vehicle that has any of those features (other than our Sienna, which has a very small screen backup camera), but I have rented plenty of vehicles with those 3 features and I really like them all. My favorite feature of all of those is adaptive cruise control, which I really love especially in crowded traffic conditions on interstate highways.

That said, I hate any form of lane keeping assist and I absolutely despise any form of auto engine shutoff system in vehicles that are non hybrid. The first thing I do when I start up a non hybrid vehicle that has auto shutoff is to shut off the auto shutoff (it that is possible)!

I have pretty much the same opinion. I have turned most of them off the day we bought our new Camry. And I've never turned them on since.

I found "Lane Departure" to be a total nuisance. (I thought there was something wrong with the front end when we drove it home). I do like the cruise control that automatically slows down when you approach a slower vehicle. But I must admit I rarely use it.

On my Jeep I also turned most everything off. Headlights that would stay on for a minute or more after you shut it off. I deactivated that stupid app, (or whatever they call it), that automatically locks all the doors as you drive away.

I have the collision avoidance. But I've never come close to colliding with anything. So I don't even know if it works or not. Most of this stuff is nothing but a lot of electronic fluff, that serves no real purpose, except to attract gadget freaks.
We have to pay dearly for all the stuff. !

Having owned BMWs for over 20 yrs I love that feature. Passenger side mirror tilt makes parallel parking and backing out of the tight spaces so much easier.
My 335i has that and I definitely turn it off. Folding mirrors as well. I’d rather have my mirror broken than to have my door dinged.

I've driven my dad's Prius, and only some of the features I find useful. The adaptive cruise control is not bad, it started slowing down as soon as the crowd ahead started slowing down. The lane keeping I find a little too aggressive, it seems to jerk unnecessarily if I'm not perfectly centered in the lane.

The annoying one on my truck is the one that prevents you from putting it in gear or automatically putting it in park if a door is open. What if I'm trying to peak at something, like a ramp, as I'm parking? Nope, won't allow you to move at all if the door is open. If my wife gets a little too jumpy and cracks her door just before I stop, it slams into park.

I like the reversing cam in my ford, though the visibility out the rear is good enough to do without it. Absolutley needed it in the previous Jetta sedan lease, as it had a high rear "package" shelf along with tiny side mirrors.
I leave the ASC on in the Ford as the mirco SUV handles terribly without it - though using it I am wearing the rear brake pads at the speed of light - likely due to brake application for YAW control.

Wife shut off all the stuff in her previous CVT outback as she didn't like the thing steering for her on the highway. As a passenger I will say she could really use blind spot monitoring though, LOL. She also decided an AT box is not for her,

And the Subaru Hill holder almost killed me and/or my neighbor years ago when sliding back down my icy driveway (which is pretty much a bunny ski slope) as it locked the brakes and I lost steering ability and threshold braking and jab braking. No time to learn a new skill of neutral and clutch out when sliding down a hill backwards..

It's counter intuitive of 50 years of my otherwise proper skillset.
- ARCO

As others have said, it depends on how well they are implemented and whether or not they can be switched off or at least have some adjustments regarding sensitivity.

For example, the blind spot monitoring in my Mazda CX 5 works great. I turned off the audible alert for it though if I recall. Their adaptive cruise control is also well designed, I don't like the lane assist feature, while it doesn't actually try and take control of the steering wheel it does vibrate the wheel. Living in the mountains and doing a lot of driving on narrow two lane roads means that I (safely) cross the center line on a regular basis. The Mazda also has an emergency braking feature, I have seen it flash on my heads up display several times when a car makes a left in front of me a little too closely although it has never activated.

My Jaguar on the other hand has a Blind Spot Monitoring feature that doesn't activate until the other car is already entering the parallel position with my car. The Mazda starts to display the warning when the other car is a couple of car lengths back which I think is better. Especially when the other car is going much faster and closing fast. The Jag doesn't have adaptive cruise control.
I completely turned off the lane departure warning and function. It also has a feature that tilts the mirrors down when I put the car in reverse. I disabled that. I can see the advantage but I also think it will be one of those features that breaks right around the time the warranty expires. I can't disable the auto-folding mirrors when I lock the car either. On the Mazda I have disabled that feature and if I feel the need to fold in the mirrors that can be done manually with the adjustment knob on the door.

Again, it all depends upon how well the features are designed and implemented and whether or not the manufacturer gives the owners the right to disable the features. And not all of them do.

Back