How do you feel when you read >150k post ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
and many post state that they've accomplished this kind of mileage with "minimal" oil changes, e.g. Super Tech dino and Fram filters, or QS and ST filters @4-5k OCI's?

I don't feel anything but it does make me think that perhaps more money spent does not garantee longevity. I don't think someone using the cheapest conventional and filters they can find and running the factory recomended interval is any worse than the person who runs a 7-8 dollar a quart oil with oil analysis to confirm that the extended OCI they are running is safe. There is more than one way to get to the scrap yard, engine oil choice(withing manufacturere spec) does not seem to be one of them.

I feel indifferent... anyone who treats their engine reasonably well will get this...

Most people tire of their vehicles around (if not long before) 150k, unless theyre wanting to keep the vehicle or cang afford otherwise.

JMH

This reminds me somewhat about the obsession any group of like-minded people can have. Take exercising for health. Actually, it takes a minimal exercise volume, when done every day, to get to peak health benefits. Being able to walk 30 minutes, up to an hour every day, and you've got about 90% of the health benefits that are there (you just have to do some resistance exercises periodically for you muscular strength to get all the health benefits). However, you could run 30 minutes, or an hour, every day. You get better cardiovascular PERFORMANCE, but, not necessarily measurably better health.

Similar thing with mineral vs. synthetic oils. Either are healthy enough for most any engine, and will yield a good long life when used as designed to be used.

Where this analogy really breaks down is when you get to excessive levels of exercise, which can be downright harmful. I doubt you'd harm any engines with TOO good of an oil.

Nah, not tired of either one, yet = '85 Toyota p/up 280+K miles and '97 Rodeo with 156k.

Actually, I can't lie, I AM tired of being beat to death, i.e. Toyota live suspension front/rear. But, you're right, the sticker price of $22-30k, keeps the Toyota firmly planted in the drive for now.

good for you! We've got more >150k vehicles than not in out 9-car fleet... A bunch over 200k too!

JMH

It doesn't impress me, either.

I drive a 95 Honda Accord with 144k miles on it and I'm pretty sure it has not had very good treatment until I bought it 6 months ago.

At that time, it had 133,400 miles on it and the oil was very, very nasty. In fact, I changed the oil the minute I got it home and it appeared the same, nasty color and thickness after 50 miles.

The car was also stolen, recovered and continued to be owned by the 2nd purchaser until I bought it. This fella didn't seem to be very intrigued by maintenance.

Anyway, it still runs strong, burns no oil, does not smoke, gets 37+ mpg strictly highway and is in good condition for an 11 year old car.

What would impress me is someone taking a Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus or Nissan to 500k from new, changing the oil themselves, and doing most all the maintenance, with 5k-7500 mile OCI's.

Longevity ,I believe, has more to do with engineering than which oil is used.
Small engines (mowers, pumps etc) have a designed engine life in hours. So do auto engines if we knew the truth.
It's hard to make a cheap 100 hr engine last 500 hrs no matter what oil you use.
Just my $0.02 Canadian...P.B.

When I thougth WIX made the best filter I spent the better part of the day trying to track one down.

In reality a ST filter would have served just fine.

She didn't own the car from new, but my sister's 1991 Nissan Stanza still has over 500,000 miles on the original motor. She bought it with under 100K and put the rest on commutting to college in Fresno.

The engine outlasted the motor mounts. The car is still running great. Never had any sort of rebuild or internal work. Has been about as great a car as you could hope for.

I'm pushing the 800,000 mile mark on my Jeep Cherokee with the straight 6 motor. I always used dino. It's in one of these high mileage posts, somewhere on here...

quote:

Originally posted by Zesty:
She didn't own the car from new, but my sister's 1991 Nissan Stanza still has over 500,000 miles on the original motor. She bought it with under 100K and put the rest on commutting to college in Fresno.

The engine outlasted the motor mounts. The car is still running great. Never had any sort of rebuild or internal work. Has been about as great a car as you could hope for.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeepster_nut:
I'm pushing the 800,000 mile mark on my Jeep Cherokee with the straight 6 motor. I always used dino. It's in one of these high mileage posts, somewhere on here...

bowdown.gif
amazing, simply amazing.

those kind of posts (>150k miles) dont bother me because i know that its easily attainable. 250k miles and above gets a little more intreging.

I've got ~ 250K on a 1L 3-cylinder Sprint.
No engine work other than a new carb, the original 5 speed.

In the last 25 years, no car that I have retired was due to an engine problem. More likely, it was either a transmission problem or body corrosion that was not worth fixing.

My '90 Cutlass was literally falling apart from the insides, i.e. dash lights going out, power windows failing, stereo not working, etc. etc. Motor ran absolutely cherry up till the day I sold it with 201K on it. If I didn't think a particular model wouldn't make it past 150K, I'd surely wouldn't be buying one.

I think it comes down to probability.

IMHO your odds of achieving extremely high mileage are greater if you take the time to do the required maintenence.

"and many post state that they've accomplished this kind of mileage with "minimal" oil changes, e.g. Super Tech dino and Fram filters, or QS and ST filters @4-5k OCI's? "
============================================================

I feel like I miss my beaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back