How do you dispose of your used oil bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a empty windshield wiper fluid bottle and then put oil bottle upside down inside the mouth of the gallon bottle and let drain for 3 > 5 days or more . Then repeat the process . You could then use the oil collected for mower(s) or other applications , but rinse out the wiper fluid bottle with water and let dry before use . Otherwise recycle the oil and the bottles too . They are picked up by garbage collector to be recycled .

I know of someone that burns the oil bottles in a barrel . Not good . He also burns tires . Told him of the impact and just blew over his head .

When I do change my own oil, I refill my bottles with the old motor oil. Then grop off all the bottles at my local pepboys.

Here in Vancouver, most gas stations have a garbage can marked "empty oil bottles only". Every so often I collect a bag full of empties and drop them off when I fill up. I assume they can recycle them and they wouldn't have a separate garbage for them if they just got landfilled.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
He also burns tires . Told him of the impact and just blew over his head .

He is trying to start a blockade in an urban warfare.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I asked the village where I live, and they said drain as dry as possible and then "trash them, not recycle"!

same here

I put my old oil back into them and drop them off at AutoZone even though I don!t buy it there they will take it.

Trash can. Arizona is pretty behind the times when it comes to recyling. It's hard to get use to since I grew up in the Great Northwest (Seattle Washington) aka tree hugger central!
LOL.gif
I got use to all the seperate containers for different materials. Oh well it makes life less stressful.

Last edited:
I know this may sound like oil overkill,but when I change the oil in my car,I leave the empty bottles upside down in the sun for awhile,then once they`re all warmed up,I insert them one by one into the oil fill hole on my engine to get every lil drop of oil out of them. You`d be suprised at how much comes out.

I have no trash service so I have to haul my trash to the county dump. So I either burn them or haul them to the dump with the trash. I burn my used oil and filters on the burn pile. Every so often I'll collect all the stuff that didn't burn and haul off to the dump.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I know this may sound like oil overkill,but when I change the oil in my car,I leave the empty bottles upside down in the sun for awhile,then once they`re all warmed up,I insert them one by one into the oil fill hole on my engine to get every lil drop of oil out of them. You`d be suprised at how much comes out.

Just microwave them for 15 sec. It should be much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back