How do you dispose of used coolant?

That's because the storm sewer probably goes to the Hudson lol
There could be some truth to that. They don't want you pouring it into the street storm drains because they end up in Jamaica Bay around here. They say flushing it is OK. In all honesty it can be a bit confusing. In any event I do my part to recycle.

There could be some truth to that. They don't want you pouring it into the street storm drains because they end up in Jamaica Bay around here. They say flushing it is OK. In all honesty it can be a bit confusing. In any event I do my part to recycle.
There's several 4ft diameter drain pipes that go straight to the canal in the neighborhood I lived in. Even says no dumping, goes straight to the bay.

Last time I had some, I asked the shop that I take my cars to if they could take it. I think I paid $5, small money I thought.

Town I used to live in would take used fluids at the transfer station, but the one I'm in now does not.

You mean the treatment plant?
Nope, AFAIK the town does not have city sewer nor water, I think it's all private wells and septic tanks. Certainly is where I am.

Each Saturday I haul my trash and recyclables to a transfer station, which then bundles it up and some other service hauls it to... someplace. I think there is a landfill 30 or 40 miles away, presumably other things go to their respective recycling places (glass, plastic #1&#2, paper, cardboard, metal, etc).

I don't change my own fluids anymore. Too old and crippled. But our town says it is OK to put antifreeze down the sewage drain.

None of the auto parts stores local to me accept coolant for recycle. So years ago I contacted a city wastewater treatment plant, and asked how to dispose of engine coolant. I was told that I could pour it down the house sewer. I have moved since then, but continued disposing of coolant by pouring it down the toilet, for many years.

Recently, I contacted a local car dealership, and asked if I could pour my coolant into the tank they use to collect coolant. They told me it was fine as long as I'm not dumping huge quantities. So that is how I dispose of it now.

Back