How do these lug nuts and studs look?

So my local tire shop over torqued or cross threaded one of my lug nuts on my Honda Accord. They broke the stud off and I watched them put it on with impact wrenches. They fixed it for free and insist that they use torque limiters so it was not over tightened. I find that hard to believe now. When I got home I took all my lugs off to make sure no others were cross threaded or over tightened. All seemed ok. How do these threads on the other lug nuts look? Also several of my studs had these "feather" looking metal flakes all over them. does this indicate a problem? Some did not have this and looked normal. These were the best pictures I could get. How do the threads look to you guys? Thanks!
ZX5S2bT.jpg

EeCiVOi.jpg

7s0TxVA.jpg

TLXyUIx.jpg

If they spin off and on ok, by fingers, I would assume that they are fine.

I see a lot of them with the metal shavings left behind. I try to wipe it off then make sure the lug nut will thread back on ok and it almost always does. I learned from an older mechanic if you ever see that on a lug nut or stud to use anti seize on the reinstall but I don’t do that typically with lug nuts. I don’t believe there is any problems I just feel that is the nature of it.

Reactions: JC1
Those chips stuck to stud could be magnetized.
Chips most likely caused by bare metal against bare metal.

I would wipe the chips off and add two drops of oil to each lug nuts / then reduce torque by 10%.
Note: Adding oil to the studs could push the oil towards the rotors.

If anyone ever removes a tire from my vehicle, I always loosen each lug and retighten with a torque wrench.

Those chips stuck to stud could be magnetized.
Chips most likely caused by bare metal against bare metal.

I would wipe the chips off and add two drops of oil to each lug nuts / then reduce torque by 10%.
Note: Adding oil to the studs could push the oil towards the rotors.

If anyone ever removes a tire from my vehicle, I always loosen each lug and retighten with a torque wrench.
I agree with this advice. I use two drops of T-9 Boshield and let it set up before reassembling. T-9 dries into a semi wax. In the sun on a warm day it'll set up in 5 or 10 minutes.

NEVER lube the taper on the lug nut or bolt! Only put the lube on the last 6 or 8 threads on the stud/bolt. I still torque to factory specs.

Scott

PS The threads look fine, what we see of them at least. Not sure about the lug nuts. The tapers looks a bit eroded. I'd replace them since you have alloy wheels.

You can brush the shavings off the studs with a wire brush or old toothbrush or whatever.

Your threads look fine, as said above if they function fine, they're fine.

When you replace a stud you have to pull its friction fit splines into the hub, using a lug nut and a few washers to (mostly) protect the lug nut. Since your lug nut has a tapered end, it's probably going to get chewed up a little on the washer. And to pull that stud through you sometimes need substantially more than 100 ft lbs to do it, ergo the impact.

I had a saturn that I completely maintained... including tires... that eventually started "going through" lug studs. I torqued them correctly etc but the anti-sieze plating must have worn off or something. I would not assign blame to the tire shop for this.

Also, stop biting your nails. :p

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! So was told to NEVER lube lug nut threads because it could cause them to come off while driving? Is lubing the threads something I should be doing?

Thanks everyone! So was told to NEVER lube lug nut threads because it could cause them to come off while driving? Is lubing the threads something I should be doing?
I think it has something to do with the torque values being affected.. I've personally never done it, but there are members that have.

So my local tire shop over torqued or cross threaded one of my lug nuts on my Honda Accord. They broke the stud off and I watched them put it on with impact wrenches. They fixed it for free and insist that they use torque limiters so it was not over tightened. I find that hard to believe now. When I got home I took all my lugs off to make sure no others were cross threaded or over tightened. All seemed ok. How do these threads on the other lug nuts look? Also several of my studs had these "feather" looking metal flakes all over them. does this indicate a problem? Some did not have this and looked normal. These were the best pictures I could get. How do the threads look to you guys? Thanks!
ZX5S2bT.jpg

EeCiVOi.jpg

7s0TxVA.jpg

TLXyUIx.jpg
They look threaded to me.
Seriously, they look just fine.

My process:
First, make sure the threads are clean, not galled, etc.
Apply just a tiny wisp of antiseize to one side of the stud.
Hand thread lug nuts; if they don't spin on easily find out why.
Finish with torque wrench.

There is a huge difference between gobs of antiseize and just a little brush...

i heard copper grease is good for antiseize, would you smear it on threads ?
I use some copper anti corrosion stuff made for electrical work. Don't use it on my lug nuts. But I like it because it stays where you put it. Makes a mess in you clothing though. But it seems much more durable then the typical 'gray' never seizes. It works great on slider pins for disc brakes.

I've been lubricating my wheel studs for 40 years, trucks, sedans, suv's, motorhomes, ATVs SXS's and never had a single one come loose. I always undertorque them about 10% because the torque values are dry. Usually use what is handy ie motor oil, anti seize, spray moly or spray graphite etc.

I've been lubricating my wheel studs for 40 years, trucks, sedans, suv's, motorhomes, ATVs SXS's and never had a single one come loose. I always undertorque them about 10% because the torque values are dry. Usually use what is handy ie motor oil, anti seize, spray moly or spray graphite etc.
Thanks for your findings! So what does lubing the threads actually do? Make them last longer or reduce wear?

Back