How do the European ACEA and US API compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SpitfireS posted this question in another thread, and I'd like to have a discussion on it as well. I just bought some Valvoline SynPower on BOGO at Advance, and noticed that a lot of oil bottles are now advertising what ACEA specs their oil meets (conforms to, exceeds, insert verb of choice). This appears to be a rather new marketing tool in the US, at least in regards to what's printed on the bottles. All we've typically known was the SL, SM, etc API spec.

I think the Valvoline oil (in 5W-30) said it meet the ACEA A1 and A5 standards. What the heck do those standards mean, and how many of them are there? I assume there are at least A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5.

Thanks.

The ACEA is actually a lobbing group for standards in the automotive industry run by the manufacturers. Their specs allow you to pick an oil that might be a better match for your vehicle and driving conditions. The API specs appear to be more of a one-size-fits-all for engine oil.

From my understanding the ACEA specs are more specific and seem to be more involving, while API is not very specific.

Originally Posted By: StoicDude
From my understanding the ACEA specs are more specific and seem to be more involving, while API is not very specific.

At least one Euro car manufacturer's in-house oils specs that build on ACEA are reportedly "screwey" [sic]. What does that imply in regard to, or how does that reflect upon ACEA specs?

PS: Please beware of sarcastic content in the above.
wink.gif

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/pub/070308_ACEA_sequences_2007_LD_and_HD.pdf
Here's a link to the latest ACEA specs.
In English.
Is there a link to the latest API spec?

I hope this doesn't end up in an Europe vs North America oil spec contest.
Long time ago I was told that API standards are just for big V8's running no more then 4500 rpm with 8 liters of oil and the at that time listed CCMC spec was "better" as it was tested on small 1.6l 4 inline engines (or simular) stuck in traffic jam's for 2 hours a day.
whistle.gif

i agree with barkerman the ACEA is a group that lobbies for different requirements where as API creates oil standards and in order for an oil to be certified by API it costs that company producing the lubricant thousands of dollars, and usually API is very vague on its requirements, whereas as ACEA is most defintely more vehicle specific like the volkswagen 500specs and actually the new API CJ-4 requirement is one of the more specific requirements that ive seen from API, CJ-4 requirements basically states that all 2007 and newer diesels equipped with a particulate filter must use a oil that meets or exceeds the CJ-4 requirement.

Originally Posted By: deimos218
i agree with barkerman the ACEA is a group that lobbies for different requirements where as API creates oil standards...

I think Barkerman nailed it. ACEA is an automobile manufacturer's association while API is an oil manufacturer's association. ACEA is focused on finding oils that work in the cars they make while API is focused on standardizing the oil they make.

The different point of view of each organization causes them to emphasize different things: API has one currently valid spec for gasoline engines ("SM") and two for diesel (CJ-4 and CI-4+). ACEA has four currently valid specs for gas engines, four for "catalyst" engines and four more for diesel engines (yup, that's 12). API members make oil - ACEA members make engines!

I know it's a bit simplified but it comes down to: Who do you trust?
The Oil manufacturers saying: "This is the best oil we make"
Or the Engine manuafacturers saying: "This is the best oil for the engines we make".

Companies, in any kind of business, setting their own standards and testing their own products is usually not a good thing.
IMO.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Originally Posted By: deimos218
i agree with barkerman the ACEA is a group that lobbies for different requirements where as API creates oil standards...

I think Barkerman nailed it. ACEA is an automobile manufacturer's association while API is an oil manufacturer's association. ACEA is focused on finding oils that work in the cars they make while API is focused on standardizing the oil they make.

The different point of view of each organization causes them to emphasize different things: API has one currently valid spec for gasoline engines ("SM") and two for diesel (CJ-4 and CI-4+). ACEA has four currently valid specs for gas engines, four for "catalyst" engines and four more for diesel engines (yup, that's 12). API members make oil - ACEA members make engines!

When in doubt, search.
straight from the horses mouth,

http://www.api.org/Standards/committee/index.cfm

"API’s Standards Committees are made up of subcommittees and task groups made up of industry experts who develop API standards. These groups identify the need, then develop, approve, and revise standards and other technical publications. New projects must be justified by valid business and safety needs. The standards-writing subcommittees and task groups are open to representatives of groups that are materially affected by the standards. These include oil and gas companies, manufacturers and suppliers, contractors and consultants, and representatives of government agencies and academia."

Hi,
this dicussion first took place in heated circumstances (where are you TooSlick?) several years ago on this Forum

Since 1994-5 ACEA have been a leader in getting the API to "grow up" and work with the engine and other component makers!

It actually started much earlier though with the Euro makers and CAT having their own lubricant standards and Approved Lists for many decades

It was really brought to a head IMHO in the mid 1980s when the US high speed heavy diesel engine maker's technology moved ahead faster than the lubricant technology "marketed" by the API. That is a story all on its own!!
The API's first consultative Committees really grew from this period

I believe that the API are aligning many of their standards now to those of ACEA - with some very productive "cross pollenation"
in test protocols

Regards
Doug

Well you have to understand that most of the manufacturers are in a agreement with a specific oil company, hence the recommendation to use a certain brand.

Hi,
deimos218 - Not exactly so - there are around 100 lubricants from about 30 Oil Companies/Blenders on the Porsche Approvals List

There are many more on the VW and MB Approvals Lists!
The MB List has been in place for 50 years that I know of!

Contracts to supply Factory fill are usually NOT exclusive and Factory Owned Dealerships will use those off the List or as contracted. These are Commercial and Technical linkages

But this has little to do with this Thread's heading!

Regards
Doug

Thanks guys for all the responses. I think I may not have been clear in my question up front. I generally understand the API specifications. For gasoline engines, they begin with S and have moved almost sequentially through the alphabet since the dawn of time, now at SM. The API markets each specification as "superceding" the previous one (but that's not the point of this discussion). As I understand it, there's only one current API spec at any one time (for gasoline engines anyway).

But if I look at the back of a current high quality oil, it'll often list various ACEA specs. Stated oil meets ACEA A1, A3, B1, B5, etc.

My American-spec car requires the API standard. So what do the ACEA specs mean to me? In other words, should I fawn over an oil that meets ACEA A1 vs. A2, etc?

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Thanks guys for all the responses. I think I may not have been clear in my question up front. I generally understand the API specifications. For gasoline engines, they begin with S and have moved almost sequentially through the alphabet since the dawn of time, now at SM. The API markets each specification as "superceding" the previous one (but that's not the point of this discussion). As I understand it, there's only one current API spec at any one time (for gasoline engines anyway).

But if I look at the back of a current high quality oil, it'll often list various ACEA specs. Stated oil meets ACEA A1, A3, B1, B5, etc.

My American-spec car requires the API standard. So what do the ACEA specs mean to me? In other words, should I fawn over an oil that meets ACEA A1 vs. A2, etc?

ACEA doesn't mean anything to you for a car whose manual calls for API spec oil. Really - if it meets the spec in the manual, you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back