How come cars last to 300k miles with dino @ 4k change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure luck and lots of highway miles. 15,000-20,000 miles a year won't do it even with synthetic, seals will go, head gaskets and it becomes not worth repairing. Then age sets in and parts are hard to find, things go simply because they are old. I ahve one of these now.

Not all do.

I hear a lot of people say, "My pappy's truck had 300k miles on valvoline every 3k miles."

My response is always, "Well Pappy's truck could of had 300k miles on it, been in the same or better condition, and had used 420 less quarts of oil."

Several of my vehicles have surpassed the 400k mark with dino oil. Even those that saw severe service (former taxis and police cars). I just chalk it up to regular maintenance and good old American craftsmanship.
wink.gif

That's a lot of oil and changes!
smile.gif

In this modern age of burned weenies and designer water, if a car can't make it to 300K on 3K dino oil changes then something else happened...accident, rust, etc

What's the big deal?

I enjoy 10K oil changes.

the biggest killer of cars isn't the engine crapping out. transmissions are more likely to provide the mechanical coup de grace, otherwise, rust, accidents or other maladies have a higher probability of sending one to the scrapper than the engine.

A friend of mine has a theory that at approx 11 years of age a modern car starts to cost a lot of money to repair. He believes that is the age that many electrical and mechanical parts start to fail regardless of mileage. I think he has a good point.

Yea, most cars are traded in or junked not because of engine oil problems or issues but for other things like transmissions, other engine failures not oil related, high mileage, leases are up, people want a new car, accidents, rusted out parts, old age, and simply NOT doing proper maintenance during the life cycle of the vehicle. I think oil, although very important is probably one of the lesser reasons why cars hit the grave. I think every car I've owned died because of other issues which were too costly to keep maintaining.

Of course, this is just my opinion which means absolutely nothing!
smile.gif

Taxis and Police cars can last that long because the engine never cool down completely, thus less thermal stress as parts expand and contract. The driving hard issue could somewhat apply to cop cars but those are equipped with "racing transmissions" and the engine parts ale also beefed up to handle the abuse.

I'm with Kingrob. Taking it to the car wash to get it nice and shiney won't cut it. You got to get your hands dirty or at least your mechanics hands dirty and perform routine maintenance.

3000 miles is the magic number with dino! Almost all vechiles can last a long time with 3000 mile oil changes. The exception would be someone that does 3000 miles or less per year.

The problem I have with current dino oils excludeing HDDO/HDEO is the weak additive package. It is hard to find a PCMO with decent levels of ZDDP,Boron and Calcium!

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
A friend of mine has a theory that at approx 11 years of age a modern car starts to cost a lot of money to repair. He believes that is the age that many electrical and mechanical parts start to fail regardless of mileage. I think he has a good point.

13 years is my theory. I've bought two used cars back to back and when they get 13 years old..problems start happening

I know, but how do you know what the last owner did or didn't do to the car, unless you get full service records (which is very rare) or you bought the car young enough that it hasn't needed much maintenance?

Even then the last owner could've driven it like an animal..

My roomate used to drive a cab in New York City.He said the most of the Crown Vic's passed 400k using dino with oil being changed at around 2500k which would be every couple of weeks if not sooner.

Most if not all the driving was stop and go and in the summer most the had a/c blasting on Max all day in traffic.

He also most of the Town Cars passed 400k with just regular service like the Crown Vic.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back