How are Pro-Tec filters these days?

pro cras

I like that they're rated for 10k miles and seem to have silicone ADBVs, but I've seen posts with filters made in USA, China, Mexico... Some with tears. Not sure what to expect.

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 135k miles, infrequently driven, maybe 5-10 times a month, around 500-1500 miles a year. Mostly short trips, occasional longer trips, mild weather. Will be using Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30. Looking to do ~4-5k / 3-5 year OCI's (silicone ADBV seems like a good idea here).

Was gonna add a few Pro-Tec PXL57712 filters to a Rock Auto order. Some alternatives considered: Wix 57712, Champ PH2876XL, Champ PH2867XL (taller 7317 equivalent, not usually listed for the vehicle). Maybe I'll grab one of each. The Champ filters don't have the 23 psi bypass spec.

Last edited:
I like that they're rated for 10k miles and seem to have silicone ADBVs, but I've seen posts with filters made in USA, China, Mexico... Some with tears. Not sure what to expect.

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 135k miles, infrequently driven, maybe 5-10 times a month, around 500-1500 miles a year. Mostly short trips, occasional longer trips, mild weather. Will be using Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30. Looking to do ~4-5k / 3-5 year OCI's (silicone ADBV seems like a good idea here).

Was add a few Pro-Tec PXL57712 filters to a Rock Auto order. Some alternatives considered: Wix 57712, Champ PH2876XL, Champ PH2867XL (taller 7317 equivalent, not usually listed for the vehicle). Maybe I'll grab one of each. The Champ filters don't have the 23 psi bypass spec.
Run, Run away just ask @53' Stude

Run, Run away just ask @53' Stude
I've read several of his posts, but didn't know what to conclude. Here's one from March 30, 2024:
Yes and I just bought 18 more. Although, don’t ever buy older stock PROTEC and or AUTO EXTRA . They tear like the plague.

And you are welcome sir Justin 🍺🇺🇸👍🇨🇦😍😍
How old is older stock, and how about newer stock?

I've read several of his posts, but didn't know what to conclude. Here's one from March 30, 2024:

How old is older stock, and how about newer stock?

Older stock as in 19 and earlier. Those tore a lot as they made in Mexico.

Newer ones can be India/China made or Purolator style I’m seeing. Wouldn’t push pst 5k oci in anything I care about.

Older stock as in 19 and earlier. Those tore a lot as they made in Mexico.

Newer ones can be India/China made or Purolator style I’m seeing. Wouldn’t push pst 5k oci in anything I care about.
Appreciate the reply. I've seen various C&P's from you in past couple years with their 2022 redesign, including a torn made in USA and an intact made in Mexico (another here). Obviously I don't have the full picture, so I'm still not sure what to make of it. I guess from your experience, pre-2020 made in Mexico had the highest rate of tearing, and the ones from the past few years have mostly been okay (regardless of COO)?

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply. I've seen various C&P's from you in past couple years with their 2022 redesign, including a torn made in USA and an intact made in Mexico (another here). Obviously I don't have the full picture, so I'm still not sure what to make of it. I guess from your experience, pre-2020 made in Mexico had the highest rate of tearing, and the ones from the past few years have mostly been okay (regardless of COO)?

Yeah, I would say so. Sad that the India/China made ones hold up better than the Mexico made ones. O wouldn’t run a PRO TEC as I have a lot of Donaldson and OG wire backed ULTRA’s to use.

Back