How are people crimping shielded RJ45 connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some shielded RJ45 connectors with a load bar. They have a strain relief clamp you bend around the insulation.

But my Klein crimper mashed the metal shielding. Obviously I need another crimper that does not push down on the strain relief of the normal unshielded connectors.

See mashed area in picture.

IMG_20190706_184424.jpg

I've never seen a shielded RJ 45, regular RJ 45s are bad enough. The strain relief was a piece of plastic squeezed by the crimp onto the bitter end of the jacket.

I gave up. Buy premade cables for interconnect now, as virtually any spec/length/color can be had at reasonable prices. Premise wiring is terminated in patch panels on one end and wall jacks on the other.

Originally Posted by Donald
Related question. Has anyone had experience with Platnium Tools ez pass-thru connectors?

Yes, it works quite well, definitely makes the process shorter.

Originally Posted by Donald
Related question. Has anyone had experience with Platnium Tools ez pass-thru connectors?

Yes, they are much better and faster to terminate. You still may have difficulty clamping the jacket even with their crimper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
I've never seen a shielded RJ 45, regular RJ 45s are bad enough. The strain relief was a piece of plastic squeezed by the crimp onto the bitter end of the jacket.

Shielded connectors with external ground do not have a piece of plastic that gets pushed in during the crimp process. If the crimper does that it will mash up the shield like I did distorting the connector. So the crimper can only press in the 8 connectors into the wire, no more.

Inside the home shielded is probably not needed. In a factory with many electric motors maybe. Outside going to telephone poles with lightning, definitely, along with a surge protector.

Oh, they exist, I have a few of them here. It is however, significantly more difficult to get your hands on them for DIY install onto cable for whatever reason.

The selection of RJ45 connectors for shielded cable is not all that easy. There are internal and external ground connectors. The shielded cable is larger in diameter. Some companies sell a few different connectors that handle different diameter cable.

The crimper pressing the strain relief is another issue. Some shielded connectors have a strain relief that the crimper can press down on. Others do not. As the picture in my original post shows.

Some suggest on external ground connectors to run the drain wire back over the insulation, then wrap that area with copper foil tape and then wrap the external ground around the copper foil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back