Battery Charger Frustration

Ranting...

Bought a Shumacher automatic 2/10/55a charger a while back, not a cheap one. Nice charger, but after maybe 10 uses, one of the leads detached from the clamp. Looked closer, and the copper conductors were the only connection to the clamp, there was no strain relief crimp on the insulation, so after a few flexes, the wires failed. The other terminal was the same...

Quick drill, pop rivets, marine shrink tube connectors and more shrink tube to support the terminals and good to go for a long time. Just frustrating...
sbc conn.jpg

If that's one of those big transformer based chargers, I'd invest in a nice smart charger-- much easier on batteries, unless all you need it for is quick boosts to get a car going.

Thx all, I need to get a better one, probably a Schauer wheeled one. I don't use tenders, just Spring top offs after being disconnected or from lack of use during the Summer and for tractors...

I had 3 of their battery tenders in 24/7 use. One I bought in the 80s lasted decades. two purchased after y2000 lasted 2 years each. I’ve abandoned the brand. Problem is, when I look at all of the popular brands, including the ones liked on this site, all of them have some number of “failed in 2 years” reviews, problems with warranty support, and the like…. Ctech, noco, another one mentioned last week with great bitog testimony.

i have a hand-me-down, transformer-based Interstate-labeled 10 pound plastic job with a crude voltage cutoff mechanism. It doesn’t have the features, but it wont die, and while it’s rated at 12 amps, will spit 20A into a dead battery. I also have a RC hobbyist unit that is highly controllable, but it requires the user to do all the math. It’s pretty delicate but isn’t needed as often for my uses, which are mostly average. I think it’s under the label “thunderpower.”

I am not convinced there is a 'good' charger made anymore, have some old ones that keep trucking.....I have had most of the modern ones....the bigger the amperage, the bigger the $ hit when they fail it seems.

I am not convinced there is a 'good' charger made anymore, have some old ones that keep trucking.....I have had most of the modern ones....the bigger the amperage, the bigger the $ hit when they fail it seems.
I have an older diehard cart 200amp start/40/2 charger. It's manual. I like it because it won't balk at really low or completely discharged batteries.

Downside is, its a bit large.

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_205337128.jpg
    IMG_20211222_205337128.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 9
Problem is, when I look at all of the popular brands, including the ones liked on this site, all of them have some number of “failed in 2 years” reviews, problems with warranty support, and the like…. Ctech, noco, another one mentioned last week with great bitog testimony.
How many Ctek chargers did you say you personally had failing in 2 years?

How many Ctek chargers did you say you personally had failing in 2 years?
I don’t own any and didn’t make that claim. But just to make sure I wasn’t crazy, i just checked the first one Amazon pulled up just now. On the first page of reviews shown, mostly 5 star reviews and 2 right there claiming failed and absent warranty response from the company within the warranty period. Not saying I would not like to own one.

Schumacher is a hit or miss brand for me.

Some of their units have been excellent with good quality and charge logic.

Others have been bad, with bad logic, dangerous voltages, and junk cord and connectors.

Before giving up on 'battery chargers' and going the adjustable voltage power supply route, and never looking back, I had, and still have a transformer based 2 and 12 amp schumacher, and a schumacher sc2500a bought in 2007.

The transformer based charger maxes out at 0.62 amps on the 2 amp setting, and 4.6 amps on the 12 amp setting.

The sc2500a will take a battery up into the 17 volt range, whenever it decides to do so. It cannot be trusted. I ONLY use it when it can grow legs or be rained on, and only on other's vehicles.
Even on its AGM setting, it will gladly go well above 15 volts on the 12 or 25 amp setting and doing this to an AGM time after time is very bad for it.

When I put a snap on ferrite onto its DC output, the ferrite buzzes in my fingers, and my wattmeters on its output go batcrap crazy with or without it.

I've replaced its 40mm fan with a larger 60mm fan and opened up the opposite end with a drill, to improve airflow through it. I used to use it in conjunction with my 40 amp power supply when I wanted more than 40 amps charging, but now I have a 100 amp adjustable voltage power supply, and sometimes combine that with my 40 amp one.

If one actually measures amperage the battery decides to accept, at the voltage the charger holds, or happens to use a good hydrometer on flooded non maintenance free batteries, they will realize most smart chargers revert to a float voltage well before the battery is truly fully charged. This might be OK for occassional use as a garage charger, on a starter battery, but if this done to a deeply cycling battery, it will lose capacity quickly and go belly up, far too quickly.

Most so called 'smart' chargers, switch from absorption voltage, to float voltage, in the 88 to 92% charged range, and it could take 12+ more hours at float voltage, on a healthy battery, for it to be in the 99% charged range, and an older battery will never reach full charge at float voltage, no matter how long the charger is plugged in or how long that green light glows.

A true 100% state of charge rarely occurs with smart chargers, but for most, 94% is more than good enough, especially with that green light telling them their genitals are not undersized.

Getting from 80% charged to 100% charged is no less than a 3.5 hour proposition, with ANY lead acid battery or ANY charging source, and that assumes mid 14 volts is being held that 3.5 hours, and the battery is still relatively healthy. Lower voltages and less healthy batteries can easily double and triple that time to a true 100% state of charge.

When one insists on returning their lead acid battery to a the ideal true 100% State Of Charge, and can actually determine when that point is reached, with a temperature compensating hydrometer, or an ammeter on a battery held at absorption voltage, using ANY smart charger is a lesson in frustration, as all will switch to float voltage prematurely, with the exception of some schumachers which will goto 17v and make the battery fizz like a newly opened soda and stay there for hours.

Much easier to just remain proudly ignorant, and put your faith in green lights and the marketing literature, especially when the battery is only used for starting a fuel injected vehicle that never sits unused for extended periods of time, and uses a battery purveyor which does not fight tooth and nail when the warranty replacement is attempted.

I have a number of battery chargers. It's been a battle to find good clamps, I had a thread here about that.

Sadly, my old Schumacher 6v 12v manual charger seems to have given up the ghost. That one always charged the battery, without coming up with some bogus fault code and "automagically" shutting down. I'm looking for another.

Back