Household lubricants (general purpose) differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The door on my side-load washing machine is in need of a good oiling. I went to the garage to grab something, and I realize I have about half dozen different types of lubricants, and not really sure the advantages / disadvantages of each, or what applications they're good for.

Silicone Lubricant spray (shows hinges on the can, general purpose type stuff so far as I can tell)
WD-40 / PB Blaster (the go-to for just about everything but not sure I want solvents in my washer)
White Lithium grease spray (I've used this for many things, and know that it leaves a hard film)
3-in-1 oil (use this anywhere I just need a drop or two)
and a plastic bottle of "lubricant / corrosion inhibiter" (i think it's just Wd-40 type stuff in a bottle)
oh and some old "Kroil" in an old-school orange can

What would you use for a washing machine hinge specifically? The hinge folds to the inside of the door, so I don't think it's exposed to the clothes.

Non-specifically, what are all these greases best attributes, and am I missing some good lubricant that I should have that isn't listed?

The lithium will stick and you can wipe it off, the penetrating oil will creep into places you might not want it to go. I would use the 3-in-1 as you can apply it drop by drop, that's why I like Tri-Flow as the bottle makes it super easy and clean to apply. This is pretty much what 3-in-1 is for, general household tasks.
I have Tri-Flow from my cycling days and it works pretty good as a general purpose lube that will soak but not creep.

Could you pop the pins out of the hinge? They could be corroded. Some sandpaper would smooth them back down and not require lube at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back