Lubricants for (haunted) house squeaking door hinges (not car doors)?

Found several threads on the lubrication of automobile door hinges on BitOG, but not on "haunted-house" squeaky door hinges.

Since have several types of lubricants on-hand, curious if you have any preferences or tips - just in case the need arises.

The wide internet as usual is a mass of contradictions along the lines of:
Use bar soap. Use only vegetable oil cooking spray.
Grease stays best. Never grease, only use oil.
Graphite doesn't attract dust and lasts longer. Graphite will eventually gunk up, and destroy your hinge.
Only use a dry Teflon spray. Only use a wet silicone spray.
For a Haunted House, use Mystery Oil of course! . . . Um, WD-40?

From the above, get the impression that anything is better than nothing - at least for a while.

(And do realize that if the hinges have become misaligned, a lubricant won't help for long.)

Thanks for commenting.

PS This question came about because my neighbor's 70+ year old door hinges (sporting at least 10 layers of different color paints) were squeaking so loud, it was heard next door. Couldn't disassemble, so with permission tried a spritz of penetrating oil (P'B) hoping it would get into the spaces. Worked well, totally silent, but doubt it'll last.

I've used gun oil (as in for firearms like remoil or slip2000 not the weird **** that comes up when you google gun oil) and think it's worked quite well since tend to not dry up or run, mostly stays there and keeps the hinges lubed

Last edited:
I don’t know what the so-called experts are saying. I’ve used oil in the past and was not happy with the results. I wanted something that would stay put. I thought I would try some type of grease. I tried grease and it has worked so much better. It only makes sense. Automobile manufacturers recommend some type of white lithium grease for door hinges. Here’s what I did. I removed the hinge pins and cleaned them. I then applied a thin film of Silaramic brake grease to the pins and reinstalled them. What a big improvement. The Silaramic stays put.
Why do people paint door hinges?

PS This question came about because my neighbor's 70+ year old door hinges (sporting at least 10 layers of different color paints) were squeaking so loud, it was heard next door. Couldn't disassemble, so with permission tried a spritz of penetrating oil (P'B) hoping it would get into the spaces. Worked well, totally silent, but doubt it'll last.
It can probably last. Had the same thing happen with the doors around here. Had some Kroil so sprayed that on it. About a year later, it's still silent.

I use a product made for this.... Door Ease. It's essentially a waxy stick lubricant. You remove the pin and coat it with this lubricant. It lasts around 10 years for high traffic doors.

Appreciate all the comments on lubricants for household-door hinges.

successfully used by posters:
- white lithium grease, silicone-ceramic brake grease, (certain) gun oils, 3-in-One (multipurpose) oil, penetrating oils, and door-hinge wax in stick-form (AGS) - all of which may work even better when accompanied by disassembly and cleaning, and alignment if needed.

> Why do people paint door hinges?
. . . well, even the hinge-side door jamb was painted, although it was an earlier 1970s-ish color. (The latch-side jamb was up-to-date.)

I unscrew the joint out and hammer out the pin, then wash the old grease away with soap and water then apply new brake caliper grease (I use the one with moly) and then put it back together.

Since I use Boeshield for my bicycle chains... that's what I use on household door hinges.

Also works on my car's sunroof tracks.

Back