Hot thermostats for short trips?

I think my '16 Versa uses a 180* thermostat. Probably the reason they use a cooler thermostat is because they use the coolant for cooling the CVT fluid in the summer and warming it in the winter. The rest of my cars run 195* thermostats. I didn't even know 205* thermostats were available.

Where the thermostat sits in the water flow-- and how close it is to the "core" of the engine-- may have something to do with its rated temp.

EG if you want 200 degrees at the piston liners, you may need a 195 at position A or a 185 at position B.

These saturns take forever to warm up so a good, new, hot 'stat is just what the doctor ordered.

Oil wreaking of gasoline and poor fuel economy sounds like a classic leaking fuel injector problem. Extra leaking fuel will be burned up while driving and result in poor fuel economy, and after the egine is shut off the residual pressure in the fuel rail will cause some fuel to leak into the cylinders and eventually past the rings into the oilpan.

I put in a 190 thermostat to replace the factory 180 in my Ford Focus. That seemed to help a lot. If for nothing else, getting me heat on the coldest of winter days! I believe there may have been an issue with the original thermostat because I could drive it 15-20 minutes on a colder day (maybe 20 degrees) and pull the radiator cap and stick my finger in and it would be luke warm at best.

^ Your radiator cap is on the cool side of the thermostat.

The heater core, its hoses, water pump and the innards of the engine are on the warm side, or, more accurately, the controlled side.

Well I decided to use the hot thermostate at 192°f. It runs dead in the middle of the guage mostly and just a tad higher when the fan kicks on. Also did a Italian tune up and seems to run much better now. Definently has better heat aswell. I didnt change the temp fan switch cause the old one is still working. The car has 211k on it and had original thermostate or at least one that said Made in Germany as the OEM ones say.

If the t-stat has a jiggle valve you can plug that and it will notiably heat up faster in the dead of winter.

Well I decided to use the hot thermostate at 192°f. It runs dead in the middle of the guage mostly and just a tad higher when the fan kicks on. Also did a Italian tune up and seems to run much better now. Definently has better heat aswell. I didnt change the temp fan switch cause the old one is still working. The car has 211k on it and had original thermostate or at least one that said Made in Germany as the OEM ones say.

Nice. Once you get this car good and hot, take the intake off and mist water through the throttle body. Really gets the carbon out. You might even see a soot mark under the muffler. When you're done, disconnect the battery so it forgets the knock retard and take it out for a spirited drive.

Back