98 Volvo V70 T5: Rethinking Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading another thread, I noticed a link to "Motor Oil University" on BITOG. Fascinating. Got me to rethinking my oil choice.

I've been driving Swedish turbo cars since 1983. Due to Tx heat, I've gone with thicker synthetic oils like 20W-50 or 15W-40 (with extended drain intervals of 10k mi. with an oil filter change at 5k mi.) But Haas has me rethinking this.

Don't experience deep cold here. Maybe a handfull of nights it'll hit 26F. The summers are brutal though: 105F in the shade, 120F in the sun, black asphalt at 140F. Can't remember what the thermostat is. But the coolant temp never varies from the 3 o'clock position, regardless of how hot (or how cold) it is outside.

The current sled, the Volvo, is the 2.3L, HP model. I don't put my foot in her much. Nor drive over 80mph on the freeway. Always let her warm up a bit before moving into "D". Currently at +182k mi, she doesn't burn a drop of oil.

There's too much info in his article to paste here and comment, but his points are well made. Thinner oil results in more flow which equals more cooling at a lower oil pressure.
Quote:
Increasing the pressure while using the same oil will increase the oil flow but increasing the pressure by increasing the oil thickness will result in less flow. It takes more pressure to move a thicker oil. When you go to a thicker oil the pressure goes up because of the increased resistance, and therefore reduction of flow. Because the pressure is higher sooner, the relief valve cuts in sooner. Flow will actually be less when the RPM is up and the flow is needed the most.

Didn't know this:
Quote:
The synthetic 10W-30 grade oil is based on a heavier 30 grade oil while the mineral based 10W-30 oil is based on a thinner 10 grade oil. They are both similar at operating temperatures yet the 30 grade based synthetic is actually less thick at startup and much less honey – like at low temperatures. This is the opposite of what common sense dictates.

Quote:
I truly believe that oil is much better being too thin than too thick. Over the years we have been going to thinner and thinner oils despite hotter engines with turbos and the like. The tendency is that people figure they need a 40 grade oils but then use a 50 instead. Better thinking is that if you think you need a 40, use a 30 grade oil instead. I firmly believe this based on all I know about oils.

Quote:
As it turns out synthetic oils do cling to parts better as they have higher film strength than mineral oils. Synthetics are thinner overall. They have greater slipperiness. Yet they stick better to engine parts. Again, this concept is the opposite of normal thinking.

The thickness of moving oil is measured in centiStokes or cS. Most engines want the oil viscosity to be around 10 cS at normal operating temperature. The really thick multi-grade oils have a viscosity of 20 cS at operating temperature. One is not twice as thick as the other, it is only 10 cS thicker.

As we increase the heat from 212°F to 302°F the most commonly recommended oil thins from 10 cS to 3 cS. The thicker oil drops from 20 cS to 4 cS. Note that in a very hot engine the difference between the two oils is now only 1 – 2 cS. In other words they have about the same thickness. There is little advantage to a thicker based oil as a 20W-50 at very high temperatures. No, the 4 cS oil is not twice as thick as the 2 or 3 cS oil. This difference is almost insignificant.

There is a huge advantage of using the thinner, 10W-30 at startup where 90 percent of the engine wear occurs. At 75°F the thicker oil has a viscosity in the range of 250 cS while the thinner oil has a viscosity of 100 cS. The thicker stuff is 150 cS thicker. This is a very big difference. I am using the 20W-50 as my thicker oil example here.

Found this story very interesting & educational:
Quote:
I have some stories that I collected. First, my architect drives a big SUV. He was running with Mobil 1 brand 15W-50. He changed it to Pennzoil Multi-grade (mineral oil based, non-synthetic, cheap) 5W-20 at my suggestion. His gas mileage went from 10 to 13 MPG around town. What really impressed him the most was the “robust” increase in “get up and go.” He changed from a thick synthetic to a thin mineral oil. His venue is stop and go city traffic in Florida, mostly short trips. The oil just never got that hot to require a 50 grade oil. Short trips means that the oil temperature never gets up to the normal operating range. It was too thick on short trips and too thick when it did get up to temperature.

The lower temperatures he saw with the thinner oil occurred because of reduced friction and internal drag and higher oil flow.

Quote:
Older engines may in fact benefit from thinner oil use. Over time permanent deposits of carbon and sludge build up in the engine oil ways. It is like a clogging of arteries in humans. We are now all on blood thinners.

Well, I'm convinced. No more thick oil for this Texan in the sled. I had Shell Rotella T6 15w-40 syn that had been in there for about 8k mi. I dumped in a can of BG109, increased the idle to 1300 for about 20 min., shut her off, then drained the pan AND the oil cooler. This oil came out very, very dark brown. New filter went in and I refilled with M1 0w-30. Furthermore, I'm going to shorten my OCI from 10k to 8K mi, with a filter change at 4k mi. I'll reevaluate 8k mi from now. Perhaps I'll collect a sample for an oil test.

Here's the link to Haas' article on BITOG: Motor Oil University

It is a good article with a lot of thought provoking points. I think he has some very good advice and in your case it may be actually fine to run a thinner oil. I would see how your engine is doing at 8k with an oil analysis plus a particle count to see how your engine is wearing. Who knows you may be able to take the OCI's out past 10k. As I am sure you know there are many opinions on BITOG, some are better than others but I try to keep an open mind. GOOD LUCK and report back on what you think of the M1.

I'm a long-term user of M1. It's mostly what I've used unless another top tier brand was on-sale. I'd never used Rotella before, until I noticed that WM had a 5qrt jug for $20 on sale last year. It was close enough to the grade I'd been using.

His comment that oil thickens up over time got me to connecting the dots between starting out with a heavier oil AND running 10k mi OCI's. No evidence of any sludge, but I do have quite a bit of staining inside the oil fill hole. This may be connected to not enough flow up on top. I have heard some Volvo motors have issues with o-rings in the pan area going bad, causing lifter noise. My lifters are quiet. It's the injectors making the racket. They always have been noisy.

I used the BG109 flush to get as much of the old oil out as possible and do some cleaning to prep for the new oil. Good stuff.

I have to question if the M1 0W30 is too thin. I had a oil temp and pressure gauge on what was basically the same engine. I regularly saw oil temps of >100C in regular driving. I always used an A3-rated oil in mine. At an absolute minimum, I'd use an oil that meets Honda's turbo spec, so either M15W30, EPW30 or PP or PU in 5W30.

I think the low hths of the M1 0W30 is just pushing it too far, and I say that as a big proponent of thin oils.

EDIT: based on the relatively low 40C viscosity and supposedly high hths, if I still owned mine I think I'd be running the G-oil 5W30 in it.

Last edited:
Sled-driver - take a look at my sig...2 Volvo turbos with the same engine you've got (basically) - and the M1 0W40 and the PU 5W40 are my choice at the moment...that's a year-round selection...

0W30 is a good choice - if you read the OM carefully, you'll see that Volvo recommends a synthetic 10W30 (but a 0W30 is just as good) or a 5W40 for towing and high stress/temp driving.

Here's a link to the TNN for clearing sludge from this engine:

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Lubrication%20System%20Contamination%20Cleaning.pdf

Some great sludged up engine pics in there...but in it, Volvo recommends:
Fill with new Synthetic Oil; this will assist in continuing the cleaning process. ACEA A1/B1,viscosity SAE 5W-30
Note: Engines subjected to extreme driving conditions are to be filled with ACEA A1/B3, viscosity SAE 5W-30 Synthetic oil.
"Extreme" regards driving conditions that generate abnormally high oil temperature or oil consumption, such as driving in mountains with a lot of engine braking or when driving at high
speeds on highways.
ACEA A3/B3, viscosity SAE 5W-30 Synthetic oil.

The point isn't that you've got sludge, it's that you should go with a higher quality oil than the OM required for your summer TX heat, which I would call extreme under Volvo's definition....your M1 choice is good...personally, I've had great UOAs on the two oils I've been running in the cars I've got...and the M1 0W40 would be a great choice for a 10K interval, particularly under your conditions.

T6 in 5W40 would be another great choice for the old sled...

20W50 was way too thick for the car...

Last edited:
And clean your flame trap...or you'll eventually induce a rear main seal leak from crankcase pressure...if you haven't already, it's likely due...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Lubrication%20System%20Contamination%20Cleaning.pdf

Fill with new Synthetic Oil; this will assist in continuing the cleaning process. ACEA A1/B1,viscosity SAE 5W-30
Note: Engines subjected to extreme driving conditions are to be filled with ACEA A1/B3, viscosity SAE 5W-30 Synthetic oil.
"Extreme" regards driving conditions that generate abnormally high oil temperature or oil consumption, such as driving in mountains with a lot of engine braking or when driving at high
speeds on highways.
Interesting info. Thanks for the link. Definitely don't have that problem.

Quote:
The point isn't that you've got sludge, it's that you should go with a higher quality oil than the OM required for your summer TX heat, which I would call extreme under Volvo's definition....your M1 choice is good...personally, I've had great UOAs on the two oils I've been running in the cars I've got...and the M1 0W40 would be a great choice for a 10K interval, particularly under your conditions.

I used 20W-50, 10w-30, 15w-40 all syn due to the extreme heat here, sitting in traffic, etc. Call it a Tx thing. Up North, no way. My PVC system was all replaced about 5k mi ago. No clogging anywhere, but did have a fossilized rigid vac line that cracked causing a vac leak. Made the engine oil reak of gas fumes till I fixed it. BTW, my car doesn't have a flame trap. Those were found in NA 850's from what I understand.

At the end of the day in the Summer, I open the hood to dump the heat before pulling the car in the garage. Keeps it from heat soaking and turning my already hot garage into an oven...

Originally Posted By: JOD
I have to question if the M1 0W30 is too thin. I had a oil temp and pressure gauge on what was basically the same engine. I regularly saw oil temps of >100C in regular driving. I always used an A3-rated oil in mine. At an absolute minimum, I'd use an oil that meets Honda's turbo spec, so either M15W30, EPW30 or PP or PU in 5W30.

I think the low hths of the M1 0W30 is just pushing it too far, and I say that as a big proponent of thin oils.

EDIT: based on the relatively low 40C viscosity and supposedly high hths, if I still owned mine I think I'd be running the G-oil 5W30 in it.

Having oil temp & pressure data in my climate and on my car would be the cat's meow. Might be avail via the OBDII port.

I've read Honda's turbo spec sets the bar quite high. M1 0W-30 is rated A5/B5, according to their site. I noted the hths rating is at 150deg C, that's 302deg F. Very hot indeed. I'm definitely not racing. Not sure what G-oil is...please advise.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
G-Oil 5W-30 HTHSV is 3.5cP.
M1 0W-30 HTHSV is 3.0cP.

Yeah, having owned two German Turbos, I would seriously consider an oil with a HTHS of at least 3.5. I would not run M1 0w30.

If you like the 0w30 oil.....go with Syntec 0w30 (German Castrol)

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Sled-driver - take a look at my sig...2 Volvo turbos with the same engine you've got (basically) - and the M1 0W40 and the PU 5W40 are my choice at the moment...that's a year-round selection...

0W30 is a good choice - if you read the OM carefully, you'll see that Volvo recommends a synthetic 10W30 (but a 0W30 is just as good) or a 5W40 for towing and high stress/temp driving.

speeds on highways.

And my 08 S60 has pretty much the same engine. I've been running M1 0W40 with a 7500 mile oci. A couple of uoa's suggest it's working really well.

What does your Volvo spec? I had a neighbor who had an older Volvo that said "Castrol 20W50" on the oil fill cap. I wouldn`t go thinner than what Volvo recommends,especially in Texas.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I had a neighbor who had an older Volvo that said "Castrol 20W50" on the oil fill cap. I wouldn`t go thinner than what Volvo recommends,especially in Texas.

This a '98 Volvo so it's not that old.
Besides no engine built in the last 30 years deserves to be mistreated with an archaic oil like a 20W-50 dino.

I had a neighbor who had an older Volvo that said "Castrol 20W50" on the oil fill cap. I wouldn`t go thinner than what Volvo recommends,especially in Texas.

This a '98 Volvo so it's not that old.
Besides no engine built in the last 30 years deserves to be mistreated with an archaic oil like a 20W-50 dino.

+1 If you feel as though you absolutely just have to have the 50 at operating temp, go with M1 15W50.

You don't need thick oil, I used to have a Volvo S70 turbo with the boost maxed out for that factory turbo.

The previous owner used Royal purple 10w30, I switched it to Rotella T6 5w40, no problems.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
G-Oil 5W-30 HTHSV is 3.5cP.
M1 0W-30 HTHSV is 3.0cP.

Yeah, having owned two German Turbos, I would seriously consider an oil with a HTHS of at least 3.5. I would not run M1 0w30.

If you like the 0w30 oil.....go with Syntec 0w30 (German Castrol)

The Mobil survived just fine in the Forester with an OCI of 5k(maybe closer to 6k), if any engine is as hard on oil as zee germans it is a turboed flat 4. Actually ran like a scalded ape too mostly and didn't hiccup.

What does your Volvo spec? I had a neighbor who had an older Volvo that said "Castrol 20W50" on the oil fill cap. I wouldn`t go thinner than what Volvo recommends,especially in Texas.

• API SG, SG/CD, SH or Energy Conserving II
  • 5W-40 or 10w-30(up to 104deg F)
  • 15w-40 oil should only be used in extreme operating conditions such as trailer towing in sustained ambient temps over 104deg F. However, 10W-30 synthetic would be a better alternative in such conditions.
  • 15W-40 should not be used under normal operating conditions. (Their emphasis).
  • Turbo Oil change interval: 5,000mi or 12 months whichever comes first. N/A: 10,000 mi. or 12 months.
So 15W-40 or 20W-50 doesn't appear to be out of line, according to the above. 10W-30 syn is recommended. 5W or 0W is not that far off. After all, according to Hass, 0W-30, 5w-30 and 10W-30 (dino or syn) are all the same viscosity at 212deg F.

Quote:
We left off discussing that a 0W-30 grade oil is not thinner than a 10W-30 oil. They both have the same thickness at operating temperature. The 0W-30 simply does not get as thick on cooling as the 10W-30. Both are still way to thick to lubricate an engine at startup...multi-grade oils 0W-30 and 10W-30 also have a thickness of 10 at 212°F.

Quote:
When the additives wear out in a synthetic oil it still has the same viscosity. It will not thin as a mineral oil. The fear that some say Porsche has that oils thin when the VII runs out is not applicable to these synthetic oils. These oils will always have the correct thickness when hot and will still be too thick at startup as with all oils of all types, regardless of the API / SAE viscosity rating.

Quote:
We have seen that 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 and straight 30 grade oils all have the exact same viscosity at 212° and 302°F. What about startup viscosities? Do 0W-20, 0W-30 , and 0W-40 all have the same viscosity at a 75°F startup. The answer is no.

At 75deg F though, the viscosities are VERY different. His point is well taken: "Thin" oils are only thin when the motor is cold. At operating temp, there's no difference. Plus the cooling system heats up faster than the oil. Too bad I don't have an oil temp gauge.

Another plus: better gas mileage. At > $3.25/ga, that's definitely a plus.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
At 75deg F though, the viscosities are VERY different. His point is well taken: "Thin" oils are only thin when the motor is cold.
I should add that according to him, even at cold start temps, they're still too thick. However, they're much thinner than a thicker oil would be at startup.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I had a oil temp and pressure gauge on what was basically the same engine. I regularly saw oil temps of >100C in regular driving.
I'd be interested in seeing some specific numbers, if you'd care to share. Also what make & yr of Volvo was this? NA or T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back