hot running taco

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 3.4 v6 tacoma now has about 18k miles on it and have been using 5w-30 dino/3k oci since i got it. lately it seems this wt. oil cant hack the heat..both breaks down and runs a bit hotter on the temp gage..esp. hot here in socal...anyone rec. a different wt.? 10w-40 dino or a synthetic? i want to take it out to 5k oci also....need something that will cool it down a bit..the 3.4 toyota is known to be tough on oil anyway...

one thing i found which is curious...toyota of australia has 10w-30 sj and 20w-50 sj listed as service items...hmmm.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
What makes you think the 5w30 dino oil is breaking down?

Exactly.

Unlless you hav a serious overheating problem with the engine it won't be a problem.

Try Mobil TSUV 5W40 Walmart has it in a 5Quart Jug for $19 and it will easily make 7500 miles no problem!If you want a dino oil pick up some Delo 400 15W40 at Walmart for about $5-$6 a gallon! It should easily make your 5000 mile mark with no problem!

I have the same engine and although the truck is new you should think about an annual coolant drain & re-fill with Toyota Red Coolant W/ equal part distilled water, use only this coolant and expect to pay about $16.95 for it.

yeah you are probably right[not breaking down]going to synth oil anyway....take the oci out to 5-6k..driving alot more now.

thanx for the tip browning...wally world has all that stuff..truth is i just dont have the time [or care] like i used to, to do the 3k oci ...i will also do the toyota coolant, been about 2 years so it is time...we have had crazy weather here in socal...up & down extremes...

Mobil 1 and Toyotas have been shown to work well together. 5W or 10W-30 would be fine. While I agree on using Toyota coolant, annual coolant drains is wasted time and money IMO. I would just follow your owner's manual on that with a 50% mix.

quote:

Originally posted by moontan:
my 3.4 v6 tacoma now has about 18k miles on it and have been using 5w-30 dino/3k oci since i got it. lately it seems this wt. oil cant hack the heat..both breaks down and runs a bit hotter on the temp gage..esp. hot here in socal...anyone rec. a different wt.? 10w-40 dino or a synthetic? i want to take it out to 5k oci also....need something that will cool it down a bit..the 3.4 toyota is known to be tough on oil anyway...

Whats a bit hotter to you? My 2002 3.4 runs in the middle in the winter and summer. When i bought mine i did one regular oil change and switched to redline till 45K with 5K drain intervals now im using amsoil 5W30. My plan is to use series 2000 (0w30) and see how that works. I would like to go to 1 year drain intervals if i can but this wont happen till my warrenty is up.

Any good quality 5W-30 or 10W-30 will be good for 5000 miles in your Taco. I'd choose 10W-30 in your climate (or that 5W-40 and maybe 10,000 mile drain interval if you're past the 60k engine warranty).

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back