HOT OFF THE PRESS...Response from Castrol on GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last some facts to counter the hype. GC is an OK product been and gone from these distant shores retail wise, replaced by Formula R, but SLX appears out of the ordinary for NA. There are better products available IMO and I include M1 0W40 amongst them along with some from Amsoil, Motul, NEO, BP etc. Castrol Oz have 429x 5-litre (5.28 US quart) jugs sitting in a corner of a Sydney warehouse as of this morning. I have to ring local disty back after lunch and they will advise what Castrol would take for it. Anybody have a spare shipping container lying around?

I understand what you're doing, but I just don't know where you're getting the data from. I haven't seen any UOA on this site of GC that has shown it thinning down to 9.6cst.

For me, the true test will be to see how the oil fares in my own car, where I know things are controlled. I'll have the VOA on this batch tomorrow hopefully (the lab has had the sample for two days now and seems to be taking it's sweet time doing only a couple of tests per day on it) and then in mid October I'll have my UOA from the same batch. So we'll see how much it changes. In order to have almost 100% GC 0w30 in there, I did a flush cycle when I switched over, I drained the old oil, put in 3L of GC, then idled the engine for 2min and drained that stuff and refilled to capacity. Anal? Yes. But it'll be better for my testing.

[ September 17, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

It sounds like you're doing what I've already said was the best method for determining if EC works for anyone: running it in your own vehicle, with the engine in the same state of tune, maintaining a driving style as similar as possible to when you were running the other oils, in as similar seasonal conditions as possible to when you were running the other oils.

And no, you're not "anal," you're "testing"!
grin.gif

Here's the EC UOA with the greatest vis drop. (It takes you directly to the post, inside the thread, where it's stated.)

Let me know if anyone would like me to reference the other UOAs I dug out of the BITOG database for this comparison. I'd be happy to oblige.
cheers.gif

quote:

[qb] There are many forums on the internet and these are often the result of seemingly knowledgeable persons offering so called "expert information"
to those that aren't. [QB]

AMEN!

[ September 17, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

Hey Everyone, be quiet!
Shut up!
twak.gif

Don't let Castrol on to what has happened,
don't you all see what has happened here?
Some European spec'd Castrol Synthetic oil has
made it to our shores.
The American customers are not suppose to know about this product exists
or know that the Castrol Synthetic Marketed in Europe is of better quality
then what is sold in North America.
If Castrol gets wind of this,
phone.gif

Forget it!
No one will ever see this Synthetic on any shelves
in North America!
And then we will (those who are die hard Castrol users) will have to settle for the group-3 synthetic.
Someone from Castrol is probably looking at this website now and when they have figured that some of this European spec'd Castrol Synthetic was shipped here by mistake, manufacturing & warehouse
facilities will be asked to make sure that none of this oil is shipped to North America.
You have been warned!

Bill

Something is kooky with the lab he uses for his UOAs though, and I don't believe that viscosity to be true. Especially with the insanely good wear numbers he got on that run (when you take into account the iron and lead level in the VOA, his UOA was 0ppm iron, 1ppm lead in a 3.3k run)

The more UOAs we see on this stuff, the better we'll be able to determine it's viscosity stability. I have had confidence in that ever since my sister's UOA though. (which showed the viscosity to be 11.5 after 5.5k)

I agree with Sprintman that "SLX appears out of the ordinary for NA". I would add "for the moment". It may happen that that this euphoria will disappear soon like the first snow. In Europe it was never considered the best, but always after M1 0W-40. To meet OEMs requirements, as well as to compete with M1 in aftermarket sector Castrol had to make 0W-40 version of SLX.

0W-30 is very good oil indeed, but volume of its sales never met Castrol expectations and probably fully justified investment, where, I suppose, sales under Veedol brand too. Apparently the main obstacle was its SAE 30 viscosity since in the second half of ninetieth European end-users were not yet ready for this 1) phsychologically (prejudice), 2) cause of majority European OEMs recommendations. Even now BMW uses for services exclusively its 0W-40 version (BMW Quality Longlife-01 0W-40) despite Formula SLX 0W-30 is also approved by BMW. 0W-30 is used by BMW services, but in 01FE version. Theoretically Formula SLX would be great for the majority of NA and Japaneese cars, but I shall not use it in Prelude 2.2 VTEC before I get a clear picture why Honda does specify neither 0W-30, nor 0W-40 for this type of engine.

To tell the truth, I expected from GC considerably better performance, but what I could see in UOAs presented on this site, there is nothing exceptional: 1) results are in the limits of analysis error, 2) engine work and oil stress for indicated periods are not equal even if we believe or feel they are. Therefore, these UOAs cannot serve a base for some comparisons, but just show a trend.

As for virgin oil quality, think it would be interesting for all of us to know whether and how Formula SLX sold in Germany differs from country to country. So, let's see how can we make it.
In addition, has somebody already tried Castrol Formula GM 0W-30 ?

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
To tell the truth, I expected from GC considerably better performance, but what I could see in UOAs presented on this site, there is nothing exceptional: 1) results are in the limits of analysis error, 2) engine work and oil stress for indicated periods are not equal even if we believe or feel they are. Therefore, these UOAs cannot serve a base for some comparisons, but just show a trend.

Primus,

I am surprised at your assessment based on UOAs. I look at a lot of UOAs on this site, some from VERY highly regarded oils and I seldom see results as consistent and with wear metals as low as GC. I will tell you, I am pleased with GC regardless of what "public opinion" proves to be so I am not trying to grasp for justification of my attitude toward this oil. I just don't see any "hard data" that gives me any reason to believe that it is anything but a very good oil.
cheers.gif

Hi,
just to keep you posted.

I was in Brisbane yesterday and visited a parts supplier and now a Castrol Agent and who displaced a castrol Distibutor.
I purchase products from this site and have done so for many years

On the shelf were 2 x 5ltrs of SLX 0w-30

One was SJ/CF the other SL/CF - they have been in the same place for some years. They were proudly displayed amongst the latest in Castrol petrol & diesel lubricants

The price per 5ltr pack ? $A101.26

Can we ship to somebody in the USA??

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
just to keep you posted.

I was in Brisbane yesterday and visited a parts supplier and now a Castrol Agent and who displaced a castrol Distibutor.
I purchase products from this site and have done so for many years

On the shelf were 2 x 5ltrs of SLX 0w-30

One was SJ/CF the other SL/CF - they have been in the same place for some years. They were proudly displayed amongst the latest in Castrol petrol & diesel lubricants

The price per 5ltr pack ? $A101.26

Can we ship to somebody in the USA??

Regards

$A101.26? Doug, even I have my limits!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

For me, the true test will be to see how the oil fares in my own car, where I know things are controlled. I'll have the VOA on this batch tomorrow hopefully (the lab has had the sample for two days now and seems to be taking it's sweet time doing only a couple of tests per day on it)

Now I'm really starting to get angry. They still haven't finished my sample yet! They've been working on it for three days now, and still have to do the 100c viscosity test, TBN and the pour point test. And with tomorrow being an iffy weather day (remnants of Isabel hitting us) there is a good chance it won't be done before the weekend.
mad.gif
banghead.gif

Pat,

You don't suppose they are so mesmerized by it that they just CAN'T get through the test procedures...
grin.gif

Just spoke to Castrol and the qty 429 of 5-litre GC is now qty 18 (they were looking at Formula R qty's. But of that 18 12 are 'leakers'. Appears GC doesn't like being cooped up in a bottle as many NA posters have mentioned. About A$74.20 for 5-litre jug in a carton of 3. Think I'll pass on that one.

sprintman,

How can you NOT love a motor oil so aggressive it can't wait to get out of the bottle and into your engine where it can work its magic?
grin.gif

I'm kinda considering it but have to buy 3 x 5-litre jugs. And then of course Doug Hillary knows about long term problems with GC. Why did Castrol pull it suddenly and o'night Formula R appeared. Something just isn't right.

sprintman,

I'm beginning to wonder if the stuff we are getting isn't a different formulation than what you have seen taking up shelf space in OZ; the more we discuss this oil, the more I am beginning to wonder if Castrol hasn't made some changes. If you have serious doubts about the stock you have access to (e.g based on Doug's comments), I wouldn't get it.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
SLX here is same old green GC you get. Just old stock lying in a Castrol warehouse corner. Only 6 non-leakers out of 18 x 5-lite jugs there. Why so many leakers?

I've seen the comments on the board about all the leakers, and I have seen a few myself (leakers and weepers), but they are the exception by a large margin; most of the bottles are nice and dry...maybe if the oil sits in the container a REALLY long time, or gets moved and bumped about quite a few times...

...well I could understand that if you lived in LA, because the Los Angeles Leakers are famous...how 'bout that Shaq, huh?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back