HOT OFF THE PRESS...Response from Castrol on GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Castrol USA is just annoyed that you guys are looking for greener pastures, ahem, greener oil.
tongue.gif

lol.gif
bad...very, very, very bad...or should I say, schlecht...sehr, sehr, sehr schlecht

quote:

M1 0w40 is not in that category by any means. Sure it might show good numbers in UOA, but over the long run, with all that thinning out I'm sure the engine is getting dirtier inside with each interval.

I agree. When I get my jeep i was thining of the 0w-40 but i don't like this oil's thinning out all time. IMO, this oil has been a dissapointment. The best UOA though for a Jeep 4.0L was with this oil using LC. Amsoil might be a better fit bc it's thicker. Amsoil 30wt visosities are perfect IMO. I just wish Mobils were so I could buy it on the shelf rather then order oil.

**pscholte, how about I pay for your return to Europe? Just messing with you....
grin.gif

[ September 15, 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Buster,

Careful, you'll hurt my feelings...whimper, whimper...OK, I'm better

lol.gif
Glad you have a sense of humor and don't run to the moderator's for every ball breaking joke that comes around. I work with a sissy like that who thinks the HR department is for every problem in life he has.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Glad you have a sense of humor and don't run to the moderator's for every ball breaking joke that comes around. I work with a sissy like that who thinks the HR department is for every problem in life he has.
wink.gif

Buster,
Even moderators have a sense of humor..........sometimes!
tongue.gif

They Lie!!!!

How can it be the same oil if the specs are different?

My bottle of 0W30 NA (which I am keeping as a monument to caca oil) is rated A1, where the GC (which is the champion of all oils - up there with M1's 0W40 and Red Line), has an A3 rating.

I am confused now. Please help me with your 'expert opinion'
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
There are many forums on the internet and these are often the result of seemingly knowledgeable persons offering so called "expert information" to those that aren't.

Well. It's always good to belittle your customer base; fabulous marketing strategy.

The plot thickens ... maybe. If Syntec 0w30 is the same as SLX 0w30 you may have to determine which SLX it is the same as. I got on Castrol's German web site yesterday and messaged them asking for the MSDS for SLX 0w30. Low and behold I had not only one, but two this morning. One was in English, one in German. The MSDS in English stated the supplier to be Castrol UK. The MSDS in German listed the product as "Castrol Formula SLX Neu (New) 0W-30" with the lieferant (supplier) as Deutsche Castrol. The English sheet lists the color as green. The German sheet lists the farbe (color) as bernsteingelb (amber). That is correct - green from UK, amber from Germany. Could it be that the GC is really EC, not as in Emotional Castrol but as in English Castrol. Unfortunately neither listed the CAS number for the base stock. If Syntec is the "same" as SLX as Castrol US says, there is a discrepancy in the viscosity nubmers. Syntec 0w30 is 10.0 cSt @ 100C. SLX is either 12.0 or 12.1 cSt @ 100C, depending on which version you choose. If either is rebottled as Syntec for the US market, no wonder it gets such good UOA numbers, it's almost a 40 weight oil. Maybe somebody who speaks German could e-mail the fellow who sent the information and find out more. His name and address is Jaritz, Ralf (Vedior) [[email protected]]. They seem to be more amenable to providing information in Germany. I only asked once (in English) and got a very quick response.

Hey, I'm kinda having fun here too and I don't even use the stuff, but if I could find it I may.

It's always good to belittle your customer base; fabulous marketing strategy."

It seems to be an industry thing. I've contacted a handful of different companies about tech aspects of their products and have gotten canned or useless info from darn near every one of them ... even outright false information.
rolleyes.gif

Although, I haven't tried any lately ... in the last year or so. I wonder why?

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
I wonder how long it would take someone would take a shot at Amsoil dealers.

You gotta expect that to happen though, you know as well as I do that there are a lot of shady ones out there. I used to be an Amsoil dealer myself and talked to a few of these guys who would practically tell you this stuff cures baldness.

The difference is that I truly know Amsoil is one of the best oils out there, and I don't let a few bad apples spoil my view of this oil. I know this oil is top notch so no matter how much I'm annoyed by many of the Amsoil dealer's antics, it doesn't affect my opinion of the product one bit.

Just like I think people shouldn't judge this new Castrol oil based on the antics of the idiots at Castrol USA. Keep in mind, they don't even make the stuff. I bet the guys in Castrol Europe are much better at divulging info, in fact I know for sure they are, as I emailed them and they sent me the full specs for Castrol Formula SLX 0w30, in German mind you, but I had a couple of guys on here translate it for me.

quote:

they sent me the full specs for Castrol Formula SLX 0w30, in German mind you, but I had a couple of guys on here translate it for me

Well Patman, are you not going to share them with the rest of us so we can help fuel the fires of speculation?

No, I don't gotta expect that to happen. To me all it does is weaken the credibility of the person saying it. Out of the hundreds of thousands of dealers, a few handfull don't meet up to your specifications.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by doyall:

quote:

they sent me the full specs for Castrol Formula SLX 0w30, in German mind you, but I had a couple of guys on here translate it for me

Well Patman, are you not going to share them with the rest of us so we can help fuel the fires of speculation?

They have been posted here actually, quite a while ago, but I'll post them again:

Color: Green
Pour Point: -61*C
Flash Point: 238*C
Viscosity @ 40*C: 68.5
Viscosity @ 100*C: 12.1
Viscosity @ 150*C: 5.7
HTHS: 3.6
Cold Cranking Vis @ -30*C: 3200
TBN: 10.6
VI: 179

G-Man II translated this for me many months ago.

quote:

Compared to Syntec 0w30:
Color - Amber (I presume - never have seen any)
Pour Point - -42*C
Flash Point - 225*C
Visc @ 40*C - 54
Visc @ 100*C - 10.0
Visc @ 150*C - ?
HTHS - 2.95
Low Temp Cranking Visc, cP max @ -35*C - TBN - ?
VI - 175

Same oil?

But it may all be moot. If the "new" GC SLX 0w30 is amber, it may be as someone theorized earlier ... Castrol is funneling the "old" GC through the American market to get rid of it. All you folks better snap it up while you can cause when it's gone there may not be any more!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I've never used synthetics yet (although I am considering it because of this site), but I decided just for kicks that I would pull up the specs. of Mobil1 0w-40 and compare it to the German Castrol that everyone is talking about.

0w-40 Mobil1 has a tendency to shear back in grade , right? IF so, that would probably put it's viscosity at 212F even closer to that of GC. But with shearing comes deposits (I believe??), so draw your own conclusions...

Color: ???
Pour Point: -54*C
Flash Point: 236*C
Viscosity @ 40*C: 80
Viscosity @ 100*C: 14.3
VI: 187

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back