Hose Clamp Pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
After replacing the radiator hoses on my friend's Accord last week, I realized that a good set of locking hose clamp pliers would have made the job a lot easier.

I want a good set that will last me a long time. However, there are just so many choices. What do you folks recommend for hose clamp pliers?

Is this what I need?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog

Thanks!

The two pliers are actually for those older wire clamps. The one with the flex shaft is for the newer spring band type. I have them. They're an absolute lifesaver.

Since I prefer fixing things a time and place of my choosing, I have been thinking that with 140K on my 02 Cavalier, perhaps it is time for new radiator hoses. I have been looking at them and wondering how one would ever get some of the clamps off. Maybe it would be possible with the pliers with the flexible shaft.

Should I replace the clamps along with the hoses? In the past, I have thrown the factory spring clamps over the hill, and used the screw type SS ones. I understand that doesn't work so well on newer engines.

Originally Posted By: labman
Since I prefer fixing things a time and place of my choosing, I have been thinking that with 140K on my 02 Cavalier, perhaps it is time for new radiator hoses. I have been looking at them and wondering how one would ever get some of the clamps off. Maybe it would be possible with the pliers with the flexible shaft.

Should I replace the clamps along with the hoses? In the past, I have thrown the factory spring clamps over the hill, and used the screw type SS ones. I understand that doesn't work so well on newer engines.

I've never had the spring clamps fail to do their job, even 20 year old ones. I wish I could say the same for worm gear clamps.

I use the one with the cable made by Mayhew. Works great.
But after looking at that Snap-On 9", I'll probably go that route for $16, hard to beat.
Good post Critic, thanks.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I use the one with the cable made by Mayhew. Works great.
But after looking at that Snap-On 9", I'll probably go that route for $16, hard to beat.
Good post Critic, thanks.

Snap-On also has a two versions of the 9" hose clamp pliers. There's the HCP9 and the HCP10. The HCP10 is supposed to be compatible with the newest cars. Does anyone know what's the difference?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog

Originally Posted By: labman

Sometimes if you can't get at both tabs on a spring clamp you can get at one then push it away from you. The clamp will stick enough to loosen then rotate and retighten. Repeat until both tabs are accessible.

My FLAPS was out of the nice pliers critic posted. Got a pair kind of like these and they barely work!! They flex too much barely putting pressure on the clamp. Yes the curve gets in where sometimes nothing else will. Beware.

You want the ones with the cable. The very first item you posted won't work on the clamps used today. They are for 60's Chrysler cars only that use a round clamp instead of a flat clamp like you see today.

The 3rd item is too large to be any use and they only fit the round clamps.

Last edited:
SK makes the ones with a cable too and have a better lifetime warranty on them,they warranty them even the cable breaks.Craftsman also makes them.Mayhew will not warranty theirs if the cable breaks.I have the Astro and avoid this pair.I had replace the pair twice under warranty.The teeth for the pawl stripped out and my Cornwell dealer replaced them without any problems.

Originally Posted By: calvin1

I've never had the spring clamps fail to do their job, even 20 year old ones. I wish I could say the same for worm gear clamps.

Really???

Every new car I have ever bought and looked closely at had at least one leg of the spring clamp broken.

With 45K on the clock the spring clamp on the degas bottle hose on my excursion broke both legs and left the vehicle on the Benicia bridge. Made it to the other side and had to fill it with pure water as no G-05 was available.

I bought the cable pliers and a regular set of them from Sears, inspired by this thread. They're a PIA to remove, the pliers were worth the price.

Originally Posted By: Dualie

Every new car I have ever bought and looked closely at had at least one leg of the spring clamp broken.

With 45K on the clock the spring clamp on the degas bottle hose on my excursion broke both legs and left the vehicle on the Benicia bridge. Made it to the other side and had to fill it with pure water as no G-05 was available.

That seems hard to believe. Are you talking about the kind that look like wire that has been doubled around or the ones that are a stamped flat band?

flat E-coated spring steel band. when I got home from that trip I ditched every single one of them for constant tension aviation style stainless clamps. They were $$$ but 260,000+ miles later I haven't had one fail.

The last "new" vehicle I seen with the double wire hose clamps is my 93 F-super duty (F-450) diesel. and even then it still uses a screw for the adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back