Spring hose clamp pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering Knipex 8551250 AF spring hose clamp pliers. I suspect the locking mechanism is worth the extra expense. Has anybody here used those pliers? I am also looking for hose clamp pliers with a flexible cable extension that allows access in hard to reach places. No idea what make and model to get. Any suggestions? Thanks.

No Honda here. 2018 Lincoln Continental, 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and two old VWs, a 1981 Rabbit GT and a 1987 Golf. I doubt I'll ever work on the Lincoln. It's maintained by the company.

I get by with the cable type, They pretty much work on everything. I have a Matco one & a Snap-on one....Both are high dollar. Maybe the Gearwrench one for a DIY'er.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I get by with the cable type, They pretty much work on everything. I have a Matco one & a Snap-on one....Both are high dollar. Maybe the Gearwrench one for a DIY'er.
I have a el cheapo pair from AAP I think they are performance tool. I don't really like them, but they get the job done. They don't really have enough leverage to squeeze large clamps one handed.

The gearwrench looks neat, it is two sided for different size clamps.

Last edited:
The Knipex are a lot of wood for an occasional use DIY tool, great tool but way over the top.
Look at Mayhew for cable pliers, pro quality without the tool truck branding or markup.
I usually use the small Cobra or small Channellock pliers for these clamps that are accessible.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Is this the type of tool you are looking for? Napa Canada had them in last month’s flyer. I assume NAPA also sells them.

OK. I see know. The Knipex does the clamp itself. The above tool squeezes down the hose to avoid making a mess.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: mehullica
The Knipex pliers are pricey, but work great. I have the non locking ones & love them

I have them too, they're were well worth the money to me.

I still use my old Mopar corbin clamp spring pliers I bought over 20 yrs ago. Even though designed for pipe style circular clamps, they've worked at times on the flatter spring clamps. And what they can't do, usually a plain old pair of needle nose vice grips gets the job done.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The Knipex are a lot of wood for an occasional use DIY tool, great tool but way over the top.
Look at Mayhew for cable pliers, pro quality without the tool truck branding or markup.
I usually use the small Cobra or small Channellock pliers for these clamps that are accessible.

I'll go with the Knipex, which I can get for the wholesale price. The Mayhew 45680 looks nice. I also consider the Astro Pneumatic Tool 9409A. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back