3/8 Ratchet: Deciding between Snap-On and Matco

Trying to decide between Snap-On and Matco 3/8 locking ratchets: Matco: BFR12LFT http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2407&select=&page=3 Snap-On: FLF80 http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog Leaning towards Matco but what is this Dual 80™ Technology stuff? Worth looking into? OTOH, I never used the locking feature on the 1/2" Matco ratchet I have (17", and what a beast) Snap on doesn't have it and it's OK. Also what is this "comfort handle" stuff, ( Snap-on FHLF80 model ) is it really that bad? It didn't get a good review here in one of the threads.

Last edited:
Quality wise flip a coin. If you can save money on the Matco, get that one. I have had several Matco tools for over 30 years and they still work just fine.

Originally Posted By: pacem
Trying to decide between Snap-On and Matco 3/8 locking ratchets: Matco: BFR12LFT http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2407&select=&page=3 Snap-On: FLF80 http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog Leaning towards Matco but what is this Dual 80™ Technology stuff? Worth looking into? OTOH, I never used the locking feature on the 1/2" Matco ratchet I have (17", and what a beast) Snap on doesn't have it and it's OK. Also what is this "comfort handle" stuff, ( Snap-on FHLF80 model ) is it really that bad? It didn't get a good review here in one of the threads.
I have recently bought the FHLF80 and really like it. I like not dinging up my bike with the comfort handle. The 80 tooth design is pretty neat, a noticable difference. Much smoother to use.

Both are more tool than the home mechanic will ever need, and Matco runs cheaper. But Snap-On is the better ratchet.

I agree with the Snap-on being the better rat but I hate the comfort handles. I prefer the clean look and feel of an all metal ratchet. I have several of the F (3/8) and S (1/2) series SO ratchets and prefer them to my MAC or Matco's.

Problem with Matco is finding a dealer to get it fixed under warranty if it breaks and there is no Matco Dealer in my area.I am lucky,There is a Snap On dealer down the road in my area.Any Snap On dealer is easy to find.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Problem with Matco is finding a dealer to get it fixed under warranty if it breaks and there is no Matco Dealer in my area.I am lucky,There is a Snap On dealer down the road in my area.Any Snap On dealer is easy to find.
This is probably a regional thing. The last shop I worked at had a Snap-On and a Matco truck come around...for awhile. Then the Snap-On guy just quit showing up and all that was left was Matco. I've had a set of Matco tools for over 30 years and the only problem I've had with the Matco name was when a sliding tray on a tool box broke and he could no longer get parts for it because of the age.

Had a Matco dealer come around 8 years ago and he quit coming around.My father is not impressed with their tools and Matco does not warranty anything worn out.He had this happen when he worked at a Chrysler dealership,the Matco dealer handed him back a worn out 10mm socket that he handed back to get replaced and told my father to break it.My father did,with a 10mm allen wrench in the vice and the socket put on a 1/2 breaker bar with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter.He broke it and the dealer warrantied it.

Snap-On Dual 80 is the best ratchet that I have ever used. I have a F80, FLF80 and a FHLF80 (which I'm selling). The 80 tooth design of the Snap-On is very convenient for working in tight spaces.