Useful Special Use Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones that actually fit only a VERY few special need applications. But are almost mandatory for that application.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog

This SnapOn specialty socket fits 5/8 hex spark plugs, with the ceramic sticking completely through the socket,,this is basically an extension of the spark plug itself, allowing you to get on it with a 5/8 box end wrench, or ratchet box end. While I don't do plugs professionally in my shop,,this is an absolute lifesaver on many marinized small block Chevy engines! My hobby!

Bob

Besides a 16 mm tamper resistant triple square socket and 17 mm hex socket, and a cam locking tool and crank locking pin, I have a hard time finding any special use tool that my Audi requires.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Brake bleeder wrenches from Snap-On purchased used on EBAY.

A regular ring or open end wrench won't work? Who makes those brakes?

Having to buy special tools sucks. When buying a new car, checking beforehand what special tools I will need, and finding out what maintenance has been made difficult has been on my to-do list for a while.

Honda has a million special tools, but it seems that only 10% of them ever get used. Hondas are generally regular tool friendly, with a few exceptions.

A specific page would help.
whistle.gif

55mm socket for the flywheel nut on Mazda RX7 Rotary engines !!

Snap-On hose removal tool. Makes removing stuck on rad , fuel ,air etc hoses a joy and prevents damage to the hose and fitting !!!

My specially shaped , self made , wooden tool for prying back pistons in 4 piston alloy brake calipers. Never scars the caliper body or piston and is quicker and easier to use than piston push back tools !!

The post above about the hose removal tool reminded me about cotter pin pullers. They are effective both for removing cotter pins, and for breaking the bonds of hoses around fittings and necks.

Crow's foot wrench set. They'll sit unused most of the time until you need to loosen a nut in an impossible location.

Hose clamp pliers.

Remote hose clamp plier.

Gear wrenches - absolutely awesome.

And I'm surprised at how much I use all my 1/4" drive stuff when working on the engine. 1/4" deep sockets and extensions - use them a lot.

I have a set of Snap on 12 point crowfoots. They are the ONLY thing for getting the fuel line fittings on the pump on a Cat D399.

My other favorite nothing else like it tool is the remote cable thing for doing OEM spring type hose clamps.

And most of all... I love my 3/4" drive set. There's nothing like bustin' out a 2" socket and putting it on a 4 foot long handle to get the job done.

Other than the torque wrench and some of the socket adapters, these special tools are now useless. They don't make any of the transmissions these tools are used for.

snapontranstools.jpg

A [censored] little tool for changing the thick film ignition modules on Fords came in handy on my car.

I had a zillion speical tools I used while working on VWs that were absolutely essential, but 10 zillion more were supposedly "required" when in reality any good tech could do without them.

I have a Matco tool that is for no particular application, but I find myself using it for anything, and often everything. It is just a big long poker about a foot long with a screwriver-like handle on one end and the poker end is bent and offset to a most useful angle.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Besides a 16 mm tamper resistant triple square socket and 17 mm hex socket, and a cam locking tool and crank locking pin, I have a hard time finding any special use tool that my Audi requires.

What about the special-purpose oil pan drain valve tool that Audi uses. That's a single-purpose special tool.

I have a whole drawer of special use vw/audi tools most of which cost a arm and a leg... and since i got rid of my TT are totally utterly useless..

Well, Honda has these lovely philips head screws that hold the rotors on during brake assembly. They are often dimpled to prevent loosening, and rusty. They round out just by looking at them too hard. I would like to slap the moron that decided to use philips heads in this role.
You can usually use an impact #2 philips attached to a breaker bar and carefully break them free--but not always.

A better tool is an impact driver (the type with the interchangeable driver bits that turn slightly with each hammer blow), which is useful for many other things. Ths impact forces the head into the screwhead which decreases the possibility of slippage.

They run about $20 or so at Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back