New MATCO Satin Black 88 Tooth ratchets

Satin Black ratchet only $189 :oops: Now I admit I have bought some really stupid things off tool trucks, and will probably continue to in the future, but that seems a bit steep to me. Next time the MATCO truck swings by I might have to at least see how it feels.

I bought a 88t Matco 1/4 ratchet when they first came out 8 years or so ago. It locked up more than It worked. The Matco guy rebuilt it then swapped it out with a new one.Still did not work. It went into the scrap pile.

Reactions: D60
A bit steep?

When you can get a Williams tool for 1/4 of that price, I wouldn’t describe it as a bit steep....

On Trav’s advice, I’ve bought several sets of Williams tools. Stahlwille, too.

William socket sets are made in the US, impeccable quality, and reasonably priced.

For example, here is my new three-quarter inch set of Williams sockets. The Packard has some pretty large bolts...
AB0264A5-A7F0-40D3-9763-B1344E934BA8.jpeg

for a little cheaper, i would go snap on hands down. sure there are good deals/value with several brands, but for top shelf ratchets snap on is hard to beat. they have almost any configuration you could want and their 80 tooth series and strong and butter smooth. i like getting the "soft grip" type and swapping them over to hard screwdriver handles..

On Trav’s advice, I’ve bought several sets of Williams tools. Stahlwille, too.

William socket sets are made in the US, impeccable quality, and reasonably priced.

For example, here is my new three-quarter inch set of Williams sockets. The Packard has some pretty large bolts...View attachment 25160

That is a nice set! I really like the Williams USA made tools, a great value IMO.

Thanks. When I set up my shop, I bought William sockets in 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch, and 3/4 inch.

I also bought a set of Williams hex drives, torx drives and the Stahlwille metric wrenches, both offset box and combination.

Of course, I had to buy some new tool chests to keep all these tools in, but that’s another story…

I already have a bunch of SnapOn and MATCO ratchets. I like the SnapOn better overall, but my box is a MATCO. The MATCO guy here is actually really cool, I just haven't bought anything in a while. I think its funny they are going back to black ratchets instead of chrome.

I like the chrome because it cleans up so well. Is the black finish like a black chrome? Or is it more like Parkerizing?

I have often thought that Parkerizing would be good for tools, because it would hold the oil and prevent corrosion.

But there must be a reason why expensive things like guns get Parkerizing (or blued), and inexpensive things like sockets do not.

I like the chrome because it cleans up so well. Is the black finish like a black chrome? Or is it more like Parkerizing?

I have often thought that Parkerizing would be good for tools, because it would hold the oil and prevent corrosion.

But there must be a reason why expensive things like guns get Parkerizing (or blued), and inexpensive things like sockets do not.

For some reason the SnapOn, MATCO, and MAC trucks all show up on Friday at my work. Although MATCO usually just parks in the street. I will try and escape and see.

That price is inline for a Locking Flexhead 3/8" ratchet & Matco has a better locking mechanism than Snap-on. If I was in the market for a locking flexhead.....Matco would be my choice!

When I worked at a wrecking yard ( great job, by the way, we only had to take them apart, didn’t have to put them back together...) the Snap-On truck always showed up on Friday.

The guy would take cash, or installment payments. The other yard employees would get new tools often, and I admired those tools!

We all got paid on Friday - in Cash.

That Snap-On guy knew that...

When I see what tools are going for today I am glad I am no starting out again. I thought my first Snapon dual 80 ratchet was salty at 99 bucks when they first came out, 150 now. I feel for the guys starting out that have to fill a toolbox.

Problem with anyone who had matco 88 ratchets maybe 2-3 years ago it’s been is they couldn’t get them fixed or warranted. They had some supplier issue (hint they don’t make their own tools unlike snap on) and it was many many many months you were left out in the cold with a north of 100 ratchet you couldn’t use

I am in the market for another 12" flex head ratchet since I lost one. The black chrome Matco 88T's in blue look really nice.

For that kind of money I'd go with Snap On.
That price is inline for a Locking Flexhead 3/8" ratchet & Matco has a better locking mechanism than Snap-on. If I was in the market for a locking flexhead.....Matco would be my choice!
Matco did have a better locking mechanism than SO. But SO's new style of locking flex-head is arguably the same or better. Unfortunately, it is only available in their 18" long ratchets (FLLX80/FHLLX80):
302704182_475640811236269_2699789694045905739_n.jpg

Problem with anyone who had matco 88 ratchets maybe 2-3 years ago it’s been is they couldn’t get them fixed or warranted. They had some supplier issue (hint they don’t make their own tools unlike snap on) and it was many many many months you were left out in the cold with a north of 100 ratchet you couldn’t use
Apex shutdown USA production, so the Matco stuff is now made by AJ Manufacturing:
http://www.ajmanufacturing.com/

Why not just get Gearwrench XP 120?
I've owned a few, not a fan....with the exception of their 1/4". Head is bulky, ratcheting action is not smooth.

Last edited:
Back