Hose Clamp Pliers Alternative

I rarely need hose clamp pliers, so I don't won't to lay out a lot of money. The hose clamp pliers through most of my price range either have mostly negative reviews or limited use. In the the past I've used regular pliers or a larger version with some success other than aggravation and clamp damage. What are some better alternatives for smaller and larger hoses?

If clearance is really tight, like the clamp ears have rotated to lay against a frame member... there is no substitute.

If they are sticking straight up in the open, anything will do.

Before I got my funkadelic GearPliers with host clamp attachment (no longer available), I used Channellocks, including my big 460.

I am assuming you are talking about Mubea clips - the spring clamps (I might be wrong). I always manage with these (not what I have, but similar):

Multiple angles let you always be able to get to them, and they have multiple other uses. I hate "one off" tools unless totally necessary, and these are about as fast and reduce the need for that tool for me.

I rarely need hose clamp pliers, so I don't won't to lay out a lot of money. The hose clamp pliers through most of my price range either have mostly negative reviews or limited use. In the the past I've used regular pliers or a larger version with some success other than aggravation and clamp damage. What are some better alternatives for smaller and larger hoses?
Spent the money once, these are good quality with a beefy cable, the price is good.

Spent the money once, these are good quality with a beefy cable, the price is good.

I totally agree with Trav. The cable style hose clamp pliers are the way to go. They’ve been around a long time now and have been copied by many different “no name” import brands. Looks like it’s now $35 for a reputable brand like Astro and about $12 for an unknown brand of uncertain quality. I think mine cost double the price a decade ago, so this looks like a total sale price to me.

I paid almost $100 for Meyhew years ago and they are no better than the Astro, in fact the cable on the Astro is heavier. I bought it in a pinch when the cable broke on the other one and have removed some pretty HD clamps in super tight places with it and never had it slip off or break. A good value for the money IMO.

They work great on spring - type hose clamps.

An absolute requirement for the clamps, and the super tight clearances, on my Mercedes.
I’ll have to look into some I’ve been working on lots of different brands lately. Another thing to add to my Christmas list.

Back