Hopefully I put the fear into the dweeb.

My cousin has herself a boyfriend. The kid is as arrogant as they come as well as being a hot head.

He asked for my help with his brakes on his suburban. Since he is family now my wife talked me into helping the kid.

When we were done I had him hand torque the lug nuts to the 140 ft lb spec.

Got out my torque wrench,set it @ 140 and handed it to the dweeb. The dweeb is a wrestler in his school and is well known in our area as one of the top wrestlers.

He could not make the torque wrench click! No matter how hard he pushed or pulled on it! I was wondering if my tool had failed and was not clicking at the set torque.

So I grabbed it to check it. CLICK it went with little force from me. Handed it back to the guy and watched him flounder around with it some more.

140 ft lbs is not hard to achieve with a 2 ft long tool for leverage.

Got tired of watching that and did the torquing myself. Click,click,click a total of 12 lug nuts in just a few seconds.

I'm kinda shocked as to how a fat 53 yr old has more upper body strength that an 18 yr old wrestler?

Hopefully I scared him a little lol

When my daughter was 15 years old some loser boy started hanging around. He was impressed with our house and the land, the 2 acre pond stocked with large and small mouth Bass ,Perch Crappie and Catfish, the tractor and implements the vehicles , the wife and Daughters Horses and my drag boat so, one day being pissed off I took him aside and asked him if he could afford to provide my daughter with this kind of life style. He gave me a stupid duh look and never came around again.

My cousin has herself a boyfriend. The kid is as arrogant as they come as well as being a hot head.

He asked for my help with his brakes on his suburban. Since he is family now my wife talked me into helping the kid.

When we were done I had him hand torque the lug nuts to the 140 ft lb spec.

Got out my torque wrench,set it @ 140 and handed it to the dweeb. The dweeb is a wrestler in his school and is well known in our area as one of the top wrestlers.

He could not make the torque wrench click! No matter how hard he pushed or pulled on it! I was wondering if my tool had failed and was not clicking at the set torque.

So I grabbed it to check it. CLICK it went with little force from me. Handed it back to the guy and watched him flounder around with it some more.

140 ft lbs is not hard to achieve with a 2 ft long tool for leverage.

Got tired of watching that and did the torquing myself. Click,click,click a total of 12 lug nuts in just a few seconds.

I'm kinda shocked as to how a fat 53 yr old has more upper body strength that an 18 yr old wrestler?

Hopefully I scared him a little lol
You work for a living !

Many years ago my friend and I were working in a bush camp. One of our co-workers lifted weights and pulled on springs and had magnificent muscles (if you like that sort of thing). Anyway we convinced him that the "real muscles" you get from hard work are better than the muscles you get from lifting weights etc. Not the brightest light apparently.

One day we were short of work but had to look busy. So we hauled rebar from one side of the yard to the other, then back again - all at a sprightly pace of course. They put my friend and I with our well muscled co-worker. We carried long lengths of rebar, with my friend and I at either end, and Mr Muscles in the middle. This stuff sags when you lift the ends so he was carrying most of the weight to start with. And then we pulled down as we went over small hills. It wasn't long before Mr Muscles had wobbly legs and had to stop to rest. "See," we said, "you can only rely on the real muscles you get from hard work."

And that was the end of the showing off of those magnificent muscles. I don't know if he ever figured out why he was so tired and we weren't.

When my daughter was 15 years old some loser boy started hanging around. He was impressed with our house and the land, the 2 acre pond stocked with large and small mouth Bass ,Perch Crappie and Catfish, the tractor and implements the vehicles , the wife and Daughters Horses and my drag boat so, one day being pissed off I took him aside and asked him if he could afford to provide my daughter with this kind of life style. He gave me a stupid duh look and never came around again.
Unfortunately the damage is already done here . Unbeknownst to me he was in the picture quite some time before I knew. The girl is a 2 nd cousin and does not live with us currantly.

Maybe muscles get more power-dense as they age, as long as you keep using them? Maybe it's muscle memory of using a torque wrench, of which his muscles have none. Your arms could are more focused on pushing or pulling in the correct direction because of your history of wrenching. Surely he weighs more than what's needed to achieve 140 with a 2 ft lever, so I don't understand how pushing down couldn't get him a click.

Maybe muscles get more power-dense as they age, as long as you keep using them? Maybe it's muscle memory of using a torque wrench, of which his muscles have none. Your arms could are more focused on pushing or pulling in the correct direction because of your history of wrenching. Surely he weighs more than what's needed to achieve 140 with a 2 ft lever, so I don't understand how pushing down couldn't get him a click.
I agree. It probably had a lot to do with technique. You learn by practice how to tighten something without the socket slipping off or busting your knuckles, and a torque wrench takes its own kind of practice.

Had something like this at work. He was a trained and competing power lifter. The guy was the very definition of "muscle bound". He had no flexibility. Watching him get in and out of a vehicle was entertaining. He also had no staying power. Little wiry types could work him into the ground but if you needed a heavy weight lifted he could do the job.

Before I retired as a production plant mechanic, the younger guys would sometimes be surprised at my ability to loosen rusty old fasteners that they couldn't budge.

They eventually just called it old man strength.:D
Yes! A young guy I worked with said I had that. I told him that he may have been yanking my chain, but I was going to take it as a compliment. LOL

Did she eventually marry a successful guy ?

in all fairness, you need to know where to stand to exert 140ft/lbs on a lugnut.
some people just do not 'get' simple physics of the inclined plane. And I never understood wrestling.
Have been up & down 20+lbs & I'll tell you, it makes a difference with mechanical work, plus the width of your shoulder too.
Just eyeball a heavy truck / diesel mechanic. Most are at least 210lbs, for starters.

Unfortunately the damage is already done here . Unbeknownst to me he was in the picture quite some time before I knew. The girl is a 2 nd cousin and does not live with us currantly.
don't worry, he'll likely disappear after the unplanned pregnancy.

Back