Hopefully I put the fear into the dweeb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220507-100831.jpg
    Screenshot_20220507-100831.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 53
Being in the trades makes one stronger than people realize. Working out in a gym is very repetitive. Good, clean motions, being careful not to get injured. Working on heavy equipment, machinery, in refineries, holding something just right and being in a bind for your buddy while he bolts/welds something together, etc. It takes much much more strength being in odd positions working in the trades than a repetitive bench press, etc. Doing hard work all my life has made me strong, and although I'm only 150lbs, I can keep up with someone with +100lbs my weight easily. But it hasn't been kind to my body. Herniated disc's, arthritis in my thumbs and knees now, and I'm in my early 30s. I got into a higher position at work so I don't need to do that kind stuff anymore.

I try to teach all the newcomers not to overdo it on something just to prove they're hard workers. They're much more valuable at the job site working as a team, rather than laid up on the couch for several days from trying to pick up on something they shouldn't have.

I just need to apply some of my own advice to myself. I still find myself picking up on stuff and doing things I don't need to be doing when I'm at home. The brains usually starts when the testosterone stops.

Good post Sumo91. I detected a lot of John Wayne/testosterone waving attitude in this thread from the get go. Maybe the young man would have benefited more with a lesson on torque wrench technique vs. a "fat 53 yr old" attempting to show him up. Maybe some sensitivity training is in order for Chris142, LOL. Maybe the young man saw Chris142 struggling and figured he better let him one-up him to make him feel better ;)

Just having some fun here. Please, no shorts in a knot!

Last edited:
My cousin has herself a boyfriend. The kid is as arrogant as they come as well as being a hot head.

He asked for my help with his brakes on his suburban. Since he is family now my wife talked me into helping the kid.

When we were done I had him hand torque the lug nuts to the 140 ft lb spec.

Got out my torque wrench,set it @ 140 and handed it to the dweeb. The dweeb is a wrestler in his school and is well known in our area as one of the top wrestlers.

He could not make the torque wrench click! No matter how hard he pushed or pulled on it! I was wondering if my tool had failed and was not clicking at the set torque.

So I grabbed it to check it. CLICK it went with little force from me. Handed it back to the guy and watched him flounder around with it some more.

140 ft lbs is not hard to achieve with a 2 ft long tool for leverage.

Got tired of watching that and did the torquing myself. Click,click,click a total of 12 lug nuts in just a few seconds.

I'm kinda shocked as to how a fat 53 yr old has more upper body strength that an 18 yr old wrestler?

Hopefully I scared him a little lol
Rolling around on a mat is not going to make someone strong. That 18 year old probably played video games on his couch most of his life.

Actually, having been a wrestler 40 years ago helped get me ready for life as a tradesman! I was a “light” heavyweight, only 215 lbs, wrestling guys that sometimes weighed 100+ pounds more-you learn leverage real quick in that situation. Might explain why my back is still OK at almost 58!

Rolling around on a mat is not going to make someone strong. That 18 year old probably played video games on his couch most of his life.
Not true at all. Wrestling a resisting opponent to the ground who does not want to go there will make a person very strong. Its extremely hard and active resistance training. You have clearly never grappled another human. Go hit up an MMA and BJJ gym and get in a few rolls with a strong wrestler then get back to us on what a weakling they are.

Couple comments here…

Specific adaptation to imposed demand. This is how humans get stronger and better at doing things. Strength in one area doesn’t always translate to strength in another. There are difference forms of strength. For example a power lifter, a gymnast, and a sprinter all have power and strength. But use it in very different ways. Training for one activity doesn’t transfer to ability and strength in another. Turning a wrench (ie grip, forearm, and bicep strength) and wrestling (back, legs, and core strength) aren’t the same. I have both been a tech and grappled, they’re wholly different types of strength.

You said you’re “fat.” I assume based on the comment the young man is smaller than you. Mass matters. When I was a tech and we needed to torque the big stuff, we always put the big boys on the torque wrench. They had more rear end to put on it. Size helps a lot.

Old man strength is real. Your body (tendons, ligaments, and nervous system specifically) is fully developed. Most male’s bodies aren’t fully developed until the mid-20’s. He is still a boy internally regardless of what he looks like externally.

Lastly before you pat yourself on the back too hard for being the better man you should wrestle him. You beat him in your world now try beating him in his world. If you can pin the young man then let the back patting begin.

I’m thinking the lad did not understand stiffing your arms and letting your body weight bear down on the torque wrench. He was probably just kneeling in front of the wheel and trying the apply force with his arms, like doing pull-down reps.

Reactions: Pew
I’m thinking the lad did not understand stiffing your arms and letting your body weight bear down on the torque wrench. He was probably just kneeling in front of the wheel and trying the apply force with his arms, like doing pull-down reps.
Yeah, I think it probably boiled down to technique. How was he doing it wrong? With a 2 foot bar, should have been able to do it no matter what his weight was. Maybe he wasn't fully perpendicular and was either too high or too low.

Come on man. Nobody’s that stupid.

Come on man. Nobody’s that stupid.
You might be surprised. I help people with Phd's change spark plugs in lawn mowers. I turn around and request their help analyzing stats for a data set. In their eyes, yes, I am that stupid.

Back