Honeywell oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently had an oil & filter change at my usual place of auto service. Upon returning home and checking things out like I usually do, I discover they've used a Honeywell oil filter, possibly a "Defense" one. Anyone know much about these filters? Truck will run about 6000 km or 6 months on this filter as this is my preferred maintenance schedule. Quaker State conventional 5W30 used, truck is a 2009 GMC Sierra Crew Cab with about 65000km on it.

Last edited:
Yep its a fram/rank...pretty sure 99% its the champ ecore..dont be scared of it...lots of the oem ac delco filters are the champ ecores....fram owns champ now too
smile.gif

Last edited:
Have been running Defense filters from Fram for years. Currently using them in my vehicles too. No engine failures to report, PERIOD.

See my sig and recent oil change posts.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Doesn't appear to be an ecore. Run it and forget about it.

New stock from Honeywell are ecore however.

Considering Honeywell no longer owns Fram it would be impossible to have "new stock" from them.

If the new stock are ecore made by Champ, then similar to the previous MicroGard oil filter (which didn't last long), Rank has moved Defense production to Champ. And some won't be ecore but classic metal endcap construction. But, many/most of the 3" or larger diameter filters will be ecore.

That would make them now similar to or same as STP, Walmart TLE filters and Firestone quick lube filters.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Considering Honeywell no longer owns Fram it would be impossible to have "new stock" from them.

If the new stock are ecore made by Champ, then similar to the previous MicroGard oil filter (which didn't last long), Rank has moved Defense production to Champ. And some won't be ecore but classic metal endcap construction. But, many/most of the 3" or larger diameter filters will be ecore.

That would make them now similar to or same as STP, Walmart TLE filters and Firestone quick lube filters.

I should have replied that new Defense filters are e-core.

Afaik, an economy version of an orange can. The linked thread has pics of a dissected Defense. Might want to pay special attention to pics #3&5 from the top.

Defense DL3593A cut open

I'm surprised oil was able to flow through that soggy mess. Must've been on bypass the whole time.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Afaik, an economy version of an orange can. The linked thread has pics of a dissected Defense. Might want to pay special attention to pics #3&5 from the top.

Defense DL3593A cut open

I'm surprised oil was able to flow through that soggy mess. Must've been on bypass the whole time.

Don't know how long it was in bypass, but as the multiple holes in the media show, it was in constant bypass for some time, no bypass valve opening required.

Quote:
... Last of the non e-cores I guess?....

Apparently didn't read my previous post that you quoted. So, here goes again.

....If the new stock are ecore made by Champ, then similar to the previous MicroGard oil filter (which didn't last long), Rank has moved Defense production to Champ. And some won't be ecore but classic metal endcap construction. But, many/most of the 3" or larger diameter filters will be ecore.

The pics are of a 6607 which a thimble size filter and

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Defense DL3593A cut open

Don't know how long it was in bypass, but as the multiple holes in the media show, it was in constant bypass for some time, no bypass valve opening required.

Quote:
... Last of the non e-cores I guess?....

Apparently didn't read my previous post that you quoted. So, here goes again.

....If the new stock are ecore made by Champ, then similar to the previous MicroGard oil filter (which didn't last long), Rank has moved Defense production to Champ. And some won't be ecore but classic metal endcap construction. But, many/most of the 3" or larger diameter filters will be ecore.

The pics are of a 6607 which a thimble size filter and div>

What I am trying to get across is, that from what I have seen recently, Defense filters are no longer constructed as shown above (DL3593A & DL6607). This week alone I compared DL8 FORD, DL4967 TOYOTA and DL9837 GM, they were all e-cores. I made a mistake in my previous answer claiming that they were Honeywells,
I did not check the recent packaging. I think we are trying to say the same thing, not looking to disprove anything in your posts.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
...What I am trying to get across is, that from what I have seen recently, Defense filters are no longer constructed as shown above (DL3593A & DL6607). ....

And what I'm telling you is the Defense DL 6607 posted by Sparks is now made by Champ, is as shown in his pictures not an ecore. It is a
But yes, the Honeywell title is really a misnomer as H'well has not been in the filter business for some time now.

Here's a pic of the Champ made WM Super Tech 4967 as posted from this thread. Note the similarity to Spark's DL6607 blue button bypass pic. Again, if you have a pic of the Defense DL4967 as an ecore now, post it up. It would be a first ever and making an inexpensive filter even cheaper if that's possible. Until proven otherwise I'll stand by what I've posted.

IMG_2885.JPG

I will take some photos tomorrow. I have no experience with SuperTech, Champ or Rank filters.

Last edited:
While you're at it take pics of Spark's Defense DL6607. And if you are now looking at Defense filters as posted and discussed in this thread you are looking at Champ made filters which is owned by Rank Grp. and now under the Fram name. I thought by your certainty about ecores, you were well familiar with them.

And, Champ is the only one that uses/used the term ecore as a name for it's nylon cage/core filters as pictured below.

img_oilfilters-2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back