Oil Filters for Subaru's....What do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought a 2009 Subaru Forester. It's the non-turbo 2.5L

There is so much confusion about the oil filter situation on these cars becase of the 23psi bypass that the OEM filter specs.

Then there is all kinds of debates about flow rates of aftermarket filters (like the WIX/Napa Gold) that have the correct bypass rating but perhaps lower flowing filter media.

Ugh....

What do you guys ACTUALLY use? This car will be driven by my wife, and I highly doubt the car EVER sees anything above 4k RPM's.

Can I ignore the 23psi bypass rating? If so, then I can use any filter I want....like a Napa Platinum, Purolator Synthetic, M1, or Fram Ultra.

Or does everyone use the Honeywell OEM filters?

Help me decide, but I want to go buy 4-8 filters and stock pile them when I find a deal.

Fram ultra. No issues with it.

This is just another overhyped internet issue that people push without any true technical data to prove.

I have used Supertech's (when they were available) Puro Classics, Fram's OCODs, K&N US made, and Driveworks on my Suburu. Still going fine at 160Kmi. Never noticed any difference between filters.

I use the Subaru-specific Fram PH9715, which is Fram's equivalent to the current blue 15208AA12A OEM filter.

Been doing some digging... for obvious reasons.

For your 2.5, they spec the following as with the higher bypass. I found that many of the following options are for the PhaseII and newer engines (although works for the phase 1). So with a 2009, you should be golden

Wix 57712
or
Napa Gold FIL 7712
or
Fram PH9715

Also, this is worth a read.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1410171

There is a reason why Subaru moves around that much oil... why is beyond me but if it is moving it, it should be filtered.

Denso First Time Fit. Has correct bypass spec, quality brand, and feels substantial in the hand (for what that's worth). $3.84 for the 1501011 for your application from Rockauto. I'm only doing 5k intervals at the most, and I probably wouldn't extend it too far beyond that.

Hopefully you don't have one with the offset drilled valve guide drills that eat oil like a bandit. I had to dump our '09 at 57K for that reason. Too bad, I liked the EJ with its VTEC and the 5 speed - though our 05 rav4 with a stick was a better drivers car. Easy to get around 30mpg combined real world with a stick.

Forgot!
If I still had the '09 Id run the Honda spec wix 57356 (NOT 513xxx) Same base drill but almost 1 inch longer. Wix have not enough media area in the subie spec P/N.
The high bypass rating is for the turbo high performance spec which have been clogging turbo feed banjo filter screens and toasting turbos.
Immediately Get a cup style filter wrench to do this job.

Last edited:
Depending on your dealer the OEM filter can be about the same price as most others.

But the Denso and I believe Mann oil filters also have the correct bypass specs.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Purolators. They have (and always had) the correct bypass setting.

Thats what I've always used in my 2009 2.5X. 165k trouble free miles.

Purolator might be having an issue.

This was my filter remove yesterday from my Subie

aIMG_20140219_224808_907_zps81dbcd76.jpg

Hopefully, they can get this resolved because I prefer the Purolator company but the product must be a solid product. I will be going with a Wix/Napa or Fram next time around and wait and see if Purolator works out its issues.

Also Driveworks claims to have the 23+ ish bypass spec... might be worth looking at for a el-cheapo less robust filter.

Hi,
I work at FRAM. Personally I would use the FRAM Ultra, you can use the XG7317 instead of the XG6607 for a slightly larger filter, just be sure to check the fit carefully, I know it works on some subies and to close to exhaust on others. That said, we also make the PH9715 that has a 22psi relief valve specifically for Subarus though I have been informed that we may discontinue it as nobody is buying it. I have discussed this at length in the NIOSC Subaru forum with guidance from our chief engineer, His comments are that it is much worry about nothing. In a well maintained car, the amount of time the relief ever opens in very small.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
I work at FRAM. Personally I would use the FRAM Ultra, you can use the XG7317 instead of the XG6607 for a slightly larger filter, just be sure to check the fit carefully, I know it works on some subies and to close to exhaust on others. That said, we also make the PH9715 that has a 22psi relief valve specifically for Subarus though I have been informed that we may discontinue it as nobody is buying it. I have discussed this at length in the NIOSC Subaru forum with guidance from our chief engineer, His comments are that it is much worry about nothing. In a well maintained car, the amount of time the relief ever opens in very small.

Hey, I have been looking up and trying to find the PH9715 and it is a tough thing to find. I was able to find it at a Autozone (or at least they claimed they had it when I called so we will see if they did have it), but it was not locally stocked elsewhere (even walmart does not get a hit when entering "Fram ph9715" into their search). Heck, until yesterday I was not aware of the PH9715 and I was specifically looking for the bypass spec.

What about Wix 57356XP?

Advantages:

1.) It's a lot bigger than others we've been talking about. But will it fit?

2.) It's wire mesh reinforced synthetic media

Disadvantages:

1.) It has the typical approx. 10 psi bypass relief, not the OEM 23 psi...which I'm not convinced is all that important in a non-turbo 2.5L

Will 57356XP fit?

If you don't use the factory Honeywell blue with the P-gasket - prepare for weeping leaks all around and over your catcon. I had leaks with Purolator - thats why they are called puroleaker
smile.gif

Metal core Champs are the best filters out there for the price. Ifg you cabn find a working AC delco (OE champ) that would be schweet - and give me the cat number!

Originally Posted By: Phishin
What about Wix 57356XP?

Will 57356XP fit?

Sound like a plan as Honda an Subaru and Nissan core filter PN are same. They use the same baseplate drill, thread and gasket ID. THE EJ253 NA engine has plenty of room for added can length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back